C4 Forums | Control4

DUNE/C4 Dealer ***Diamond Design*** - THUMBS UP!!!

Chester,

I think its your box I got this message from UPS for tonight, just wanted to share it because I couldn't believe it when I read it. I insure all shipments that goodness.

Delivery Exception

Reason: TRAIN DERAILMENT

Maybe its just like 1 wheel off the track and not a major crash :)

Weird, Im using it right now, just trying to troubleshoot the GUI interface. Hopefully, I am not the exception and others are having problems playing videos through the C4 GUI?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just received my B1 and while I am looking forward to getting it all working with 2.0.4 C4 system and ReadyNAS Ultra, my eyes are glazing over as I read multiple forum posts, instructions etc. I was kinda hoping there would be a simple one page document (even a one-stop forum posting will do) that will layout C4 installation / configuration instructions clearly. For a starter, where is the C4 driver that apparently works so nicely now? Activation code? Firmware version? I am sure it's all here, just hard to find.

Maybe I need a little more sleep or a glass of wine!

Cheers....

Just received my B1 and while I am looking forward to getting it all working with 2.0.4 C4 system and ReadyNAS Ultra, my eyes are glazing over as I read multiple forum posts, instructions etc. I was kinda hoping there would be a simple one page document (even a one-stop forum posting will do) that will layout C4 installation / configuration instructions clearly. For a starter, where is the C4 driver that apparently works so nicely now? Activation code? Firmware version? I am sure it's all here, just hard to find.

Maybe I need a little more sleep or a glass of wine!

Cheers....

1. Make sure the B1 has the latest BETA firmware loaded on it (make sure its the beta)

2. Email James for the C4 driver and activation code

3. Install the driver

4. Enter static ip (make sure the B1 is set manually)

5. Enter activation code

6. Make your bindings

7. Refresh your navigator

Assuming your readynas is setup and media is scanned you should be able to watch movies through the C4 GUI.

Let us know how it goes, I have the same setup with a readynas ultra 4 but can't get it to work off the c4 GUI.

Hi James I have been following your posts that started in Dec. waiting for your IP driver w/c4 GUI support to materialize. (Congrats) I look forward to installing your players + driver in my control4 installs.

Glad its not your player. Looks like it was someone elses that was in a UPS train crash.

Thanks ATL, it should have full integration now with the C4GUI. I do not have stutter at all but I use a NAS. As far as internal hard drives, I'll talk with the guys at MyMovies about options but I may have a fix if you are using internal hard drives and also mymovies.

Before I mention it and test it, are you formatted to EXT2 or NTFS inside the dune? If I did it for you I used the default Dune EXT2. I'm curious if the SCAN in composer will find files on an EXT2 formatted drive.

Also, with regard to the 3.0 driver, we are going to making a change to it over the weekend. I've had a few users indicate that when the Dune is asleep in standby, a choice of movie from C4 GUI sends the play command before the Dune can power up and the movie doesn't play unless you send the request to play it again after its on. Not everyone is experiencing this but in any event we're going to put in a delay on power on that will solve the problem.

Also, FYI my manufacturer said the custom rackshelves for the Max, Duo, and "Twin Smarts" will finish production on 3/3/11. Rackshelves are made in the USA (for your Russian player manufactured in Asia) :)

Great to hear Chester,

Can you provide the configuration issue (unless it was obvious) so that others can check it if they have similar problems.

Also guys, I've added a user adjustable timer delay on power up with a default time if none is chosen by the installer. I've also added use of the "Prev" button to be return (makes sense to utilize that button rather than using Green as return). Green will now be slow motion and Guide will be back to Pop_Up Menu.

Just doing testing to make sure its all working properly and then I'll post for those that want it (if you need the power up delay or want utilize Prev). Once its tested, version 3 will be complete and it will be finished as a stable/final product. However, there will be additional updates.

Goals for version 4.0 are better music/radio integration and use of the built in web browser (its cumbersome but cool if you haven't already played with it much).

On the mymovies side, working on a custom file that will take the internal solid state drives we have (8gb super fast 2.5" models), format 4 gb for system storage using ext2 and the other 4gb for the mymovies index using ext3. It costs more than a usb stick solution but you get 3 times the speed over usb and a very noticable gain in navigation time using the mymovies index browsing.

For mymovies uses: lowest level is USB stick in back, next level up is internal usb stick (same speed just hidding from sight and children), highest level is no usb but ssd drive internal. You cannot use a regular hard drive because they go to sleep but SSD drives never go to sleep and it is even visible on network when the dune is in standby mode.

Edited to add additional trouble shooting solution found today:

Until our blog is up later this week, this is the best place for posting these solutions. This is also a NAS problem (seperate from Chester):

Reported Solution -

"In My Network File Storage driver under location I had put "\nas\media" interestingly enough composer accepted this connection and even read media. However your driver kept throwing me an error code in the lua output. I went back and changed the location to "\\nas\media" note the extra slash, composer accepted the connection, read the media and then I played it with your driver and VOILA."

OK,

Version 3 is in final revision (last modified 2/27).

In final testing, I noticed that pause didn't work in certain file formats (worked fine in iso, not in certain others). Fixed that, added a delay, added the return button (and reconfigured the default button pattern). Note, I've never seen a delay issue before this, please note that you must have the player in Standby to have the web server running. It needs to be showing the time of day on the screen.

If yours is working fine, no need to change out unless you have a pause issue or if you want the "Prev" button to function with the Dune as Return (freeing up the Green button for slow motion).

Email for V3 final if you want or need it.

Next up (in order), DirecTV IP, SurgeX power products IP (working with factory on that one), JVC Projectors with new IP control.

I have a B1 with the latest beta firmware.

It plays Blu-Ray rips stored on my NAS without any problems EXCEPT Avatar. A red screen comes up and says the player needs an upgrade.

Note these are the "original" Blu-Ray files I am attempting to play, not an MKV or other derived format.

It plays Blu-Ray rips stored on my NAS without any problems EXCEPT Avatar. A red screen comes up and says the player needs an upgrade.

Note these are the "original" Blu-Ray files I am attempting to play, not an MKV or other derived format.

Interesting......im using a Dune Max and no issues with avatar bluray iso or m2ts rips

Used ANYDVDHD for the rips, how about on your end?

Yep, same here. Can't back up Avatar - have tried it a bunch of different ways with DVDFab, no dice.

That is a common issue presented on the AVS Forums. I can't remember the fix if there was one but I know its discussed heavily. There were like 3 movies that didn't play well in total. Honestly, if I recall correctly you can push a button on the remote while its loading and it makes it play. Wierd fix but I think thats what I recall seeing. Not just any button, there is a particular one. I'll have to search the thread on avs.

That is a common issue presented on the AVS Forums. I can't remember the fix if there was one but I know its discussed heavily. There were like 3 movies that didn't play well in total. Honestly, if I recall correctly you can push a button on the remote while its loading and it makes it play. Wierd fix but I think thats what I recall seeing. Not just any button, there is a particular one. I'll have to search the thread on avs.

I think its the next chapter button. If you push it within the first 5-6 seconds of seeing the red screen it should continue playing.

[

I think its the next chapter button. If you push it within the first 5-6 seconds of seeing the red screen it should continue playing.

Unfortunately that does not work for me.

I ripped the BluRay using the make backup capability of MakeMKV (free beta version).

Perhaps the new firmware will do it.

Okay, I want to buy a Dune. I just tried playing some Bluray ISO's that I ripped (on an EVA9150), and they wouldn't play. Then, I re-ripped them using MakeMKV, and they don't have any menu support or any sound. *frustrated*

So, which Dune should I buy? I'm thinking of one with a Bluray player built in (don't have one yet and figure this is a good time to add), and without a HDD. I stream from a NAS, so the HDD seems useless.

Which model do I need an dhow much does it cost? Thanks!

Okay, I want to buy a Dune. I just tried playing some Bluray ISO's that I ripped (on an EVA9150), and they wouldn't play. Then, I re-ripped them using MakeMKV, and they don't have any menu support or any sound. *frustrated*

So, which Dune should I buy? I'm thinking of one with a Bluray player built in (don't have one yet and figure this is a good time to add), and without a HDD. I stream from a NAS, so the HDD seems useless.

I would buy the Dune max, not sure about the cost.

Get the B1. Bluray player with no hard drive. Have a 2nd one coming this week that I also bought from James. The price for the B1 is $299.95. I got the price from here http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=7488&p=2

I had lots of help on the driver trust me. Anyway, although v3 was released very recently, v4 is now being released. Changes are: power on delay option, always on option (so that if you have an internal hard drive you can use that drive to store mp3s, pics, etc. for use by c4, thus, for some this may be a way of adding a hard drive to a project and not be limited by usb 2.0 speeds but instead have an SATA drive online at all times.), and most importantly, the ability to play DVD TS files.

I tried to e-mail it to many of you this morning. If you didn't get it just drop me a line.

v5 should have a web browser, music (assuming HDI issues a release), and more.

From this point forward, you can stick with v4 for good if you don't want to keep having someone update it. The future updates should be bonus features only really.

I purchase my Dune MAX from James (james@diamonddesign) and could not be more satisfied with his C4 IP and the Direct TV driver he installed. After James installed the IP and Direct TV driver, he helped me get my Netgear Ready NAS Pro to recognize all my .mkv Blu Ray video files and TV shows using Composer. All Blu Ray movies "cover art and TV shows" (tv show name only:)) are beautifully displayed on my IPAD. The Direct TV driver eliminated all IR problems.

James@diamonddesign+Dune MAX+Control4+NetGear Ready NAS Pro=Positive wife comment and more a/v allowance.

vankaren

For anyone that's interested, there are free iPhone/iPad apps that you can use to control your Dune player. It requires that you have an IP enabled firmware for the app to work which should be the case if you are setup for C4.

Time for some Dune updates:

You can now (regardless of your driver/app) accept the automatic update of firmware. They one you are getting prompts for now includes IP. No more manual installs (saves me tons of time too).

I've finished the custom file to allow me to format the 8gb SSD drives into 2 sections. 1 is EXT2 and 4gb for system storage (the format the dune likes) and the other half is NTFS so it can be seen by windows. All that really means is that you can use 1 storage device for both system storage and a mymovies index that you can work on remotely from windows (or put other files on the box from windows).

The USB sticks in the 2gb size are system storage only, the 4gb is half and half and the 8gb is half and half. USB sticks aren't really meant to have patitions but it seems to be working good so far. I need to test it more but the SSD setup has been doing great and should be fine with a partition.

So again feel free to update the automatic firmware from now on.

Having a weird problem with my Dune. I have a bunch of home videos in .AVI and .MP4 format. When I try to play them I get "Error: Video format not supported". But both formats are clearly supposed to be supported. And I can play them from Windows Media Player off my NAS, so I know that's not the issue. Any ideas guys?

Archived