C4 Forums | Control4

Ademco 4232CBM Connected Building Module

Bullseye

After upgrading to the new 800 we found that it's serial software isn't compatible with the slow baud rate of the 4100SM module in my Vista-128FBP panel. I had to dedicate the retired HC-300 to it so I didn't loose that functionality. After I found out about the 4232CBM module I thought hmmm maybe I can just upgrade to that but my panel isn't a "turbo" version...so a firmware update likely won't do anything. I'm going to give my ADT tech a call and see what he says about swapping it out for me! Maybe he can declare it DEFECTIVE under my maintenance plan...

Paul from SOHO shop spent 3 hours yesterday on the phone with C4 Tech support trying to troubleshoot why I didn't have comm over either serial port. It took one of their engineers to figure it out and said a software update should fix the problem. Since 2.2 just came out I doubt they'll rush to 2.3 just to make my panel compatible! LOL

They might very well push out a 2.2.0.xxx update quickly.

I don't know what other devices that has a effect on but it seems like a pretty big deal to me.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed Dan!! I mean really, why wouldn't you set baud rates such that they were backward compatible with previous controllers! Now I'm gonna have to spend MORE money or just wait til they can get update out. I will say, having the alarm on a dedicated 300 sure has made the interface faster (or could be the 800 too) lol

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to program the CBM into the program however I am confused on how to make sure the ECP address for the CBM, which is equal to 25 to be configured as RIS module in the panel. How do I go about making this program change in the panel? Thank you for your help!!

From what I understand the instructions from both Ademco and Control4 are wrong. Someone posted a detailed programming and connection guide on the dealer forums.

Stupid things like the straight thru cable should be a null modem.. etc. Ademco is a joke. Stay far, far away.

Use the Elk M1 or the GE.

I have this working great with my setup. I used the c4 rs232 to 1/8 cable to connect it and traced the pins and cut the rs232 off. My alarm programming had a little trouble and it didn't work right until he removed his programming keypad. Now it's super fast and reliable.

• 1 month later...

I am having the darndest time getting this up and running. I have an existing Vista 21ip that I installed and programmed myself a few months back that already has 2 AUIs. I've added in the 4229 and mounted an HC-200B (current firmware rev) to be the dedicated handler for the serial communications to the alarm panel. I have an HC-800 as the master controller. I pigtailed the IR-Serial cable and have connected Brown (outer-GND) to 3/4 on the 4232, Black (middle-RX) to 5/6, and Red (tip-TX) to 7/8. The cable is plugged into IR1 and Composer has the "Serial RS-232" of the Security System connected to "SERIAL 1" of the HC-200.

Panel programming shows:

*91 Option Selection: 08 (Enable Exit delay restart/reset), 02 (Enable RIS)

*189 AUI Device Enable: 1, 1, 5 (Remote Services Partition 1), 5 (Remote Services Partition 1)

The Control4 "Virtual Keypad" is set as follows:

ECP Address for 4232CBM: 25

ECP Address for Keypad: 5

AUI Support: On

I've tried swapping the RX/TX and alternating with powering-down the 4232 followed by a Virutal Keypad Reconnect but the Power light stays in "Flashing" mode (never switches to "Slow Blink").

Am I missing something?

I had to turn AUI support off to make mine work

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I programed the panel for a "normal" keypad at address 17 (added one at 18, too, just in case since the 4232 says it may use up to two addresses depending on application) and then in the Honeywell driver I disabled AUI support and set the keypadd address to 17.

Everything seems to be correct but there's obviously a problem somewhere.

Thanks, d.Jakes for the assistance. Turns out it was the HC-200 that was causing all the problems as it wouldn't consistently communicate via the serial connection. Once I started from scratch and factory reset it, upgraded and re-registered it everything magically started working.

A few kernels of wisdom that I did learn along the way here are:

** Ignore any labels attached to the 4232CBM terminal block and, instead, refer to what's actually printed on the PCB. (In my case, some factory worker applied my label rotated 180-degrees wrong. So while I assumed this was probably a labeling error, it was just one more thing I had to prove/test out when I couldn't get things to work).

** For AUI Device Enablement in panel programming at *189, "1" is not the correct value for the virtual keypad addresses, "5" is actually the correct value. "1" (and 2 and 3) refers to the normal "home" partitions while "5" (and 6 and 7) refer to "Remote Services" partitions which are the proper values when working with Control4 virtual keypads via the 4232CBM. This may be why some folks aren't getting Zone descriptors when they should be (I did).

** For the HC-200B IR-Serial Cable (the one from Control4), the connections are as follows:

*** Tip lead (TX and in my case Red) goes to 5-6 on the 4232 terminal block (as labeled on the PCB, technically the third terminal from the left).

*** Ring/Middle lead (RX, Black) to 7-8 (fourth terminal)

*** Outer lead (GND, Brown) to 2-3 (second terminal)

** Since the Vista 21ip has IP network capabilities (although only for talking to Honeywell's AlarmNet-I, unfortunately) there are some places in the documentation that state that "Remote Services" must be enabled in *29 (IP/GSM) programming, however in *29 it says that this bit can only be turned on by AlarmNet. Since I'm not using AlarmNet, I was worried whether or no I'd have to actually use them to use the 4232CBM so one of my earlier troubleshooting steps was to move the jumper on the 21ip Panel to the "Disable IP/GSM" position. Now that the 200 is working, I haven't tried moving it back to enabled so I can't say whether this was part of my problem or not, but it's someting to try if you're possibly having problems getting 21ip to work (and you're not using AlarmNet).

• 3 weeks later...

All, I need some help here with the CBM 4232.

Currently I have a Vista 20p programed with 4 zones and the CBM 4232 connected into the Vista panel and then connected to an HC-800 via RS-232.

I have gone into my Ademco and programed *91 then hit 8 (Exit Delay Restart/Reset) followed by 2 (RIS enabled) and then programed *189 then hit 1, 1, 5, 5, (partition 1 for AUI & Remote Services device usage)

I have then the following in composer

ECP address for 4232CBM module: 25

ECP address fo 1st keypad: 5

Number of Zones: 4

Number of Partitions: 1

Polling: Off

AUI Support: No

I still can not get the darn thing to connect ?? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Someone posted earlier on this post that the HC-800 RS232 won't work with the CBM4232 due to speed or something. Go through and read the post and you'll find it. Sadly it sounds like you might need one of the older controllers like the HC-300 or HC-200 for this. I'm keeping one of my HC-300 just to my alarm and pool controller via RS232. Good luck and hope this helps.

cheers,

After upgrading to the new 800 we found that it's serial software isn't compatible with the slow baud rate of the 4100SM module in my Vista-128FBP panel. I had to dedicate the retired HC-300 to it so I didn't loose that functionality. After I found out about the 4232CBM module I thought hmmm maybe I can just upgrade to that but my panel isn't a "turbo" version...so a firmware update likely won't do anything. I'm going to give my ADT tech a call and see what he says about swapping it out for me! Maybe he can declare it DEFECTIVE under my maintenance plan...

Paul from SOHO shop spent 3 hours yesterday on the phone with C4 Tech support trying to troubleshoot why I didn't have comm over either serial port. It took one of their engineers to figure it out and said a software update should fix the problem. Since 2.2 just came out I doubt they'll rush to 2.3 just to make my panel compatible! LOL

They might very well push out a 2.2.0.xxx update quickly.

I don't know what other devices that has a effect on but it seems like a pretty big deal to me.

This is what I was talking about.... Not the Ademco Panel. I hope this helps.

Right now if I unplug the CBM from the panel and plug it back in I get a flashing light above the POWER (D1) on the CBM. Then If I go to the security keypad and program the *91 (8,2) to enable RIS and program the *189 (1,1,5,5) partition 1 AUI device I then get a flashing light above the HUB (D3) on the CBM.

I can't figure out if I should be getting a green flashing light above the PANEL (D2) on the CBM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, So I have finally figured out what was going wrong with the 4232CBM talking to my system. The RS232 wiring has to be wired null modem and NOT straight through. Did this and everything is talking. However I have some serious lag between a door opening (wired contact sensor breaking contact) and a event going off (i.e. turn on light). Does anyone else have lag issues or found a way to fix these? I would like it if a sensor going off would cause an event with in 15 seconds.

Thanks!

Archived