C4 Forums | Control4

Big Annoucement

d.jakes

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does this mean Flash Navigator has finally been migrated to AS3 (which would result in a huge speed-up on it's own), but also to take advantage of the new hardware-accelarated video API in Flash?

No, it does not imply AS3. It is still AS2 platform, as it still needs to be built for the embedded platform.

It's AS2 with the hardware-accelerated video interface as a software module built into the Flash build.

RyanE

Reposting this here (this threads getting more traction)

Can anyone in the know tell us whether or not the new IE's will be interoperable with any VOIP/SIP H.264 devices ... like the Mobotix T24 and/or the Grandstream IP video phones ?

Edited to add:

Absent the new door station, I'm interested in other reasons customers might want to upgrade to the new panels

Yeh..this is a really good question. I'd like an answer as well...

Also the door station...It is wireless right?...I guess it just depends if it's just zigbee pro, or it also has a IP address that can be picked up on a general wireless internet network. Hey dgb...if so, maybe if it outputs H.264, the video feed could be put into something like security spy and fed into folks older touchscreens and navigators using the EV driver that way....

Reposting this here (this threads getting more traction)

Can anyone in the know tell us whether or not the new IE's will be interoperable with any VOIP/SIP H.264 devices ... like the Mobotix T24 and/or the Grandstream IP video phones ?

Edited to add:

Absent the new door station' date=' I'm interested in other reasons customers might want to upgrade to the new panels[/quote']

Yeh..this is a really good question. I'd like an answer as well...

Also the door station...It is wireless right?...I guess it just depends if it's just zigbee pro, or it also has a IP address that can be picked up on a general wireless internet network. Hey dgb...if so, maybe if it outputs H.264, the video feed could be put into something like security spy and fed into folks older touchscreens and navigators using the EV driver that way....

They are using SIP, but as of right now there is 0 third party support.

It was mentioned it was on the roadmap, but it may or may not happen and there is definately no timeline

Sweet, instead of making the current one work they give us the shaft and shift resources to an all new one (albeit it looks the exact same) that has a camera and magically works with all the new video intercom functionality.

Oh and by the way, until someone takes apart the new HC800 I am still not convinced it has a "new" processor in it.

I have two 7" IE touch panels still in the box...oops. That's an expensive mistake.

^Doubtful. Just think about that for a second, how is dealer going to make good on those dead units? He needs to wait for just the right consumer who doesn't need video intercom-one of the few things people have been crying about for, like, ever

I have two 7" IE touch panels still in the box...oops. That's an expensive mistake.

Can't you exchange them? Seriously if I was C4 or a dealer' date=' I wouldn't mess with such a high profile customer like you :cool:[/quote']

Yeah right...those things are probably like playing a game of hot potato.

High profile? :lol:

I'm kinda happy with the speed' date=' mesh and setup of my HC1000/HC300's..I don't use the on screen navigator anyway..so can anyone give me a compelling reason to upgrade?

These controllers look great, but they are surely for new users...

Other than the new door station, is there anything in this announcement that improves the C4 "experience" for current users that are real happy with their hardware setup the way it is now?...... :)[/quote']

I am going to replace two HC200B's with an HC800. One of the HC200's is in the rack and serves as GUI for a few shared displays and the Slingbox, and the other HC200 is also in the rack and is a ZAP.

I will scrap both those and the accompanying rack mount kit for the HC800. I just ordered the HC800...hope to see it early February.

Be sure to scrap them my way

Hey Mike, shoot me a PM with an offer (so can anyone else for that matter). 2 x HC200b's in a slick Middle Atlantic rack mount that puts then side by side in a 1U space. They're less than a year old, and I have the boxes and everything for them.

I've seen Voice Controlled automation shown at CEDIA / CES since the mid '90's. Some of it almost *exactly* like this demo.

I've still yet to be impressed with it, except in a niche situation (like for a disabled person, etc.).

Even in this demo. The same thing could certainly be done with Control4.

RyanE

Mic array in homes is also incredibly difficult and expensive to do right, another reason IMHO that voice control hasn't taken off as some had hoped.

Of course, I could be wrong, it might be the next big thing (CEA just announced they thought it was a 'hot trend' or some other crap like that).

I'm not holding my breath.

RyanE

That is a bit silly! Not only do you need to have your phone with you to use it, but it takes a press and hold + roughly a 5-7 second wait. No thanks, I will pass on this over engineering!

All the operations that took place in that video could have occurred in about 25% of the time just by using your fingers, not to mention I would consider a press+hold equal to about the same effort as 3 taps.

If you are going to do voice recognition, at least do it right. I agree with me23, mic array all the way and with audible cues instead of the press and hold nonsense. :)

+1 Against voice control in the near future. Siri is great when it works, but it has a very limited feature set and is very immature. And Siri is "best of breed" right now. We're still several years away from the voice control we'd all want. There are far better things C4 can do to improve the user experience, rather than be distracted by voice control.

Skip voice control. As I said a few months ago, mind control is possible. Not discrete channels but quite possible with current technology. I plan to toy with it in 2012. Voice control and/or mind control is important for quality of life for those with disabilities that cannot use a remote control or touchscreen.

Archived