C4 Forums | Control4

C4 and Apple TV

Would anyone be able to shed any light on why Control4 or my Marantz receiver blocks my ATV from entering screensaver mode?

I never used to have this issue but then I had my ATV moved up locally (as I got a new OLED TV and wanted to actually watch some 4k/DV content) and ever since then the screensaver does not automatically turn on.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same exact issue. Up until about 1 month ago, it was working fine. I have tried everything, including temporarily changing the screensaver to a different one, previewing it, etc. Nothing has worked. I was even on the phone with Apple for quite a while. I finally resorted to a factory reset of the ATV. The result of that:

Once the reset was done, I bypassed as many settings as I could just to get to the main menu. Set the screensaver to turn on after 2 minutes. It worked. Then I logged into my Apple account, to get things started. Tested it... screensaver still working. Then I called my local C4 installer to assist in reconnecting my C4 remote. (I am locked out from making any changes to the system myself.)  I tested the screensaver again... STOPPED working. There is something with the C4 system that is keeping the ATV "awake" and preventing it the screensaver from starting.

I called Control4 company myself and they informed me that they were aware that some C4 systems were not 100% compatible with the newer ATV 4K boxes. I was told they released a new IP driver on 3/5/19. I informed my local installer and they said they updated the driver for my system. I have tested it and the screensaver will still NOT start. Very frustrating.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:20 AM, kb4321 said:

Would anyone be able to shed any light on why Control4 or my Marantz receiver blocks my ATV from entering screensaver mode?

I never used to have this issue but then I had my ATV moved up locally (as I got a new OLED TV and wanted to actually watch some 4k/DV content) and ever since then the screensaver does not automatically turn on.

I have a Marantz 8805 with the AppleTV 4K.  No problems with screen saver.

I'd make sure your TV is dumb mode and not using CEC. Same on the Marantz side. Control4 would have absolutely nothing to do with it, as it's not in the signal path between your TV and APPLETV.

I am having this issue with all ATV screensavers. I only use the Aerials and the built-in Apple Photos. A local installer set everything up for us and have not change any settings since before this issue started. They do not provide me access to C4's Composer... they want me to have to call them for help. $$$

@Mr. Daniel I will pass on your suggestions to the installer. Thank you.

Update: a tech from our local installation company just came over to take a look at the system. After some troubleshooting, it seems Apple pushed out an update that broke the IP driver that the C4 system uses. The update created a conflict so that the system will not enter the screensaver mode automatically. The tech went "old school" and connected an IR flasher to the front of the ATV. Tested everything, made sure the C4 remote is working as expected and the screensaver is working again.

The tech informed me that they do not push out updates to customer's systems. So, perhaps Apple will, one day, admit THEY broke this and fix it. << insert - not holding breath >>

Well i'm glad I wasn't the only one who had this issue. CEC was turned off on all devices so it wasn't that (that was like step one of troubleshooting lol).

I actually did get it temporarily working... by having the IP address removed after finding the apple TV. 

Don't know why or how but it seemed to fix it... but then Control released the new 4k Driver and it seemed to fix the issue all together.

8 hours ago, kb4321 said:

Well i'm glad I wasn't the only one who had this issue. CEC was turned off on all devices so it wasn't that (that was like step one of troubleshooting lol).

I actually did get it temporarily working... by having the IP address removed after finding the apple TV. 

Don't know why or how but it seemed to fix it... but then Control released the new 4k Driver and it seemed to fix the issue all together.

Correct, problem has also disappeared on my side with the new Apple Certified C4 Driver...

I really wish the C4 update worked for us. Again, I am not able to complete any updates to our own system; I am at the mercy of our local installer. I was told they pushed out the new driver, but I have not way of knowing for sure. Is there a way I can tell on my end, without having access to the backend?

For now, the IR is working. It just sucks because I've already experienced that if the sensor is accidentally moved 1mm, it will not work.

26 minutes ago, Psykopup said:

I really wish the C4 update worked for us. Again, I am not able to complete any updates to our own system; I am at the mercy of our local installer. I was told they pushed out the new driver, but I have not way of knowing for sure. Is there a way I can tell on my end, without having access to the backend?

For now, the IR is working. It just sucks because I've already experienced that if the sensor is accidentally moved 1mm, it will not work.

A couple of things to help... especially if your installer just said I pushed the new driver.......

if you only have one "appletv" showing and the IR works, you don't have the new IP driver.

Also, he would have to give you the HomeKit  accessory setup code. 

@ekohn00 They said they pushed out the new driver. I told them it didn't work, that the screensaver was still not working. Then, he came out and switched it over to using the IR. I was never provided a HomeKit accessory setup code. Am I to assume that they never really updated the driver then?

53 minutes ago, Psykopup said:

@ekohn00 They said they pushed out the new driver. I told them it didn't work, that the screensaver was still not working. Then, he came out and switched it over to using the IR. I was never provided a HomeKit accessory setup code. Am I to assume that they never really updated the driver then?

They could have updated the driver, but there's no way it would've worked.

If memory serves....   There is actually 2 drivers to install.  The first is Apple Bridge, then a AppleTV driver per device.

The Apple Bridge has a setup code for HomeKit.  Do this first.

Once this is setup, then you can go into appletv turn on airplay (don't forget to give each one a room name) and pair the remotes.

I also think you need to also need to Open the Control4 iOS app and enable Apple TV Integration.

If your dealer questions any of this, there's a number of fairly good ones on this board.........

So my system is working fine with my Apple TV 4K and C4 with the "legacy" IP driver.  No issues that I can think of.

Is it worth having my remote dealer upgrade to the latest driver?  Sounds like there would be some real-time interaction with him to get this working (app settings, etc.).

Just not sure if it's worth the effort.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, dinom said:

So my system is working fine with my Apple TV 4K and C4 with the "legacy" IP driver.  No issues that I can think of.

Is it worth having my remote dealer upgrade to the latest driver?  Sounds like there would be some real-time interaction with him to get this working (app settings, etc.).

Just not sure if it's worth the effort.

Thanks.

Probably not worth it right now... it gets you a few press and hold commands but that is about it.  However, looking forward it is probably worth it for 2 reasons:

1. This is the certified driver so is less likely to break at some stage.

2. I assume (guess) that the Apple Bridge is going to do a lot more in the future and give us a lot more Apple control (my guess being that mini apps and Apple Music are not far away).

1 hour ago, Psykopup said:

@ekohn00 Is there any documentation online that I could reference and send to my local installer? I would like be able to back up my accusation that they didn't do their job correctly. Thank you for all the information. 😁

I don't have it, but if he doesn't install the apple bridge driver or know what it is, just get a new dealer. There's tons of folks here who mention the driver.

Hmm. In conjunction with the new ATV 4/4K driver, there is also an update to the 'old' driver. So it's easy enough to see how one might think THAT would be the 'updated' driver.

Unfortunately not everyone lists themselves for dealer info emails (especially not in companies with multiple programmers installed) - and even then it's always possible to 'miss' one.

On top of all that there has been a recently created 'new' IR driver that has been touted on the dealer forums as well for the past month or two.

Don't get all aggro on a single dealer/employee over what COULD be a simple mistake/misunderstanding

No aggro here... just trying to educate myself as much as possible before approaching the installer, asking them to utilize current technology to resolve this issue, rather than reverting back to an older technology than can be buggy. (I am really pushing this because come this May, it will be 1 year since they set up my C4 system and after 1 year, they will start charging me $100/hour if I need their assistance.)

So, I asked the installer to see if they could do some more research on fixing this issue, making sure they haven't missed anything. Here is the reply...

"They updated the Apple TV driver that is for the V1-3 Apple TV devices. As I said before, it does work the V4 boxes but is not 100% compatible and does have some unexpected behavior when used with a V4 Apple TV. The driver we released last Tuesday requires your system to be on 2.10.6 and yours is still on 2.10.2. The setup is quite lengthy and somewhat complicated requiring the Control4 iOS app to complete, but does not need an Apple Setup code because the Apple Home App setup is not supported by Control4."

I do have a 4th gen ATV, that's running tvOS 12.1.2. It almost sounds like they installed the update for the previous ATV driver that @Cyknight referenced... because my system is running 2.10.2. I assume he is referring to the version my C4 system is running.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like they did not install the new[est] Apple Certified IP Driver to my system because they have not updated my C4 system to the current 2.10.6 version?

24 minutes ago, Psykopup said:

No aggro here... just trying to educate myself as much as possible before approaching the installer, asking them to utilize current technology to resolve this issue, rather than reverting back to an older technology than can be buggy. (I am really pushing this because come this May, it will be 1 year since they set up my C4 system and after 1 year, they will start charging me $100/hour if I need their assistance.)

So, I asked the installer to see if they could do some more research on fixing this issue, making sure they haven't missed anything. Here is the reply...

"They updated the Apple TV driver that is for the V1-3 Apple TV devices. As I said before, it does work the V4 boxes but is not 100% compatible and does have some unexpected behavior when used with a V4 Apple TV. The driver we released last Tuesday requires your system to be on 2.10.6 and yours is still on 2.10.2. The setup is quite lengthy and somewhat complicated requiring the Control4 iOS app to complete, but does not need an Apple Setup code because the Apple Home App setup is not supported by Control4."

I do have a 4th gen ATV, that's running tvOS 12.1.2. It almost sounds like they installed the update for the previous ATV driver that @Cyknight referenced... because my system is running 2.10.2. I assume he is referring to the version my C4 system is running.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like they did not install the new[est] Apple Certified IP Driver to my system because they have not updated my C4 system to the current 2.10.6 version?

You are correct.  At roughly the same time as they updated the V1-V3 driver (which was just a name change - as far as I know - to distinguish it from the 4K driver), they released a new driver for the AppleTV 4K and an Apple Bridge Driver.  Both of these new drivers are needed if you want to use the new driver and get the official Apple Driver working (for the 4K unit).  The instructions for how the dealer should set these up are contained in the documentation tab of the Apple Bridge driver.  I was the first person my dealer set up on the new driver and it took about 15 minutes (the instructions were fairly clear).

Update... I have so many emails about this issue that I misread who provided me with the latest information about what was actually installed, and my C4 version. I received an email directly from a C4 customer advocate. He was the one who told me this information. He is going to contact my local installer and educate them on how to correctly update my C4 system, so they can actually install the new 4K driver.

7 hours ago, Psykopup said:

Update... I have so many emails about this issue that I misread who provided me with the latest information about what was actually installed, and my C4 version. I received an email directly from a C4 customer advocate. He was the one who told me this information. He is going to contact my local installer and educate them on how to correctly update my C4 system, so they can actually install the new 4K driver.

sorry that you're going through this and having to deal with your dealer.

I know the frustration all too well

57 minutes ago, kb4321 said:

sorry that you're going through this and having to deal with your dealer.

Too bad we don't have WAP here to comment. 

I also have a dealer who has let me down numerous times despite being platinum status.  The incompetence and lack of follow through is astonishing.  I've found that once the initial install is complete (and all the profit has been made), the motivation for service is gone.  No money in maintenance calls, so not a priority anymore.  Shame.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.