C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 vs RTI?

womble123

I'm quite biased, as I'm sure you would guess.

:)

In my opinion, I think they probably have some nice touchpanels, decent remotes, and you can probably do fine small systems with it, but it has nowhere near the device support or native streaming services or intercom/doorstation support or lighting options as Control4.  It's just a different class of product.  Online, you'll rarely see Control4 compared with RTI, you'll see it compared with Savant and Crestron, the 3 'big boys' in Home Automation.

If you ask nearly any 3rd party who was first to integrate with them via IP drivers, it's invariably Control4.  Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Nest, etc.  No one invests as much time and resources into 3rd party device support as Control4 does.

I don't know what's happening with RTI, I couldn't even find them in any of the slides on CEPro's 2020 Brand Analysis, although I'll admit I only skimmed them, since there are so many categories:

https://www.cepro.com/business-support/2020-ce-pro-100-brand-analysis/slideshow/0/

I hope whatever your company uses, it works out well for you, but I personally don't think SnapAV/Control4 can be beat.

RyanE

RTI has a really nice setup of remotes. I´ve added them to our portfolio, since we´re mainly doing home cinema setups, and people prefer to have a (touch)remote controlling them. The SR-260 is not sexy and the Neeo is lacking hard buttons.

I know we´re in a C4-forum and people here rate it more as a plus, but especially for home cinemas, i´m still struggling with the limited customizeability of C4.

IMHO, both Crestron and RTI are superior to C4 for this kind of application.

2 hours ago, Köhler Medientechnik said:

RTI has a really nice setup of remotes. I´ve added them to our portfolio, since we´re mainly doing home cinema setups, and people prefer to have a (touch)remote controlling them. The SR-260 is not sexy and the Neeo is lacking hard buttons.

I know we´re in a C4-forum and people here rate it more as a plus, but especially for home cinemas, i´m still struggling with the limited customizeability of C4.

IMHO, both Crestron and RTI are superior to C4 for this kind of application.

Wait, a touch screen remote is better than one with buttons for Home Theaters? That doesn't make any sense. I grab my SR-260 and I can navigate in the darkness with no issues and without having to look down at all, try to do that with a touch screen remote. SR-260 might not be pretty, but it's great for Home Theater applications.

18 hours ago, Chico said:

Wait, a touch screen remote is better than one with buttons for Home Theaters? That doesn't make any sense. I grab my SR-260 and I can navigate in the darkness with no issues and without having to look down at all, try to do that with a touch screen remote. SR-260 might not be pretty, but it's great for Home Theater applications.

Agree 100%.  Most of my TV watching is sports and I watch it delayed to be able to skip through timeouts and commercials so I am continuously using the transport buttons. I need to be able to negotiate them with touch alone.  That is why I think the 260 (or even 250) are more suitable for me than the Neeo.

When I think of home theater, I'm thinking dedicated room for movie watching in my case.  For this, I find the combination touchscreen and hard button remote like Neeo is better, although Neeo needs backlit buttons badly.  I used to have an RTI system in my house, and I have to agree it was much more customizable, but that also complicated the design of the user interface.  I did like being able to add any button I'd like to any touch screen or remote screen.  So for example I could have a watch movie screen with all the transport buttons, and then have a few buttons off the side for raising the lights or changing the screen mask aspect ratio, etc., without having to change to another page.  You could also name the buttons however you'd like, so again it was 100% customizable.  

On 10/25/2020 at 9:26 PM, Chico said:

Wait, a touch screen remote is better than one with buttons for Home Theaters?

I didn´t say that. I prefer a combination of touchpanel and hardbuttons.

The Neeo has that in general, but it doesn´t have enough hardbuttons. Crestron and RTI have remote with lots of buttons plus a touchpanel - that´s a perfect combination IMHO.
You have an intuitive mapping of functionality to the hardbuttons plus you have the ability to display additional information and added touchbuttons for additional functionality for which you wouldn´t find a suitable hardbutton.

EDIT: This is the Crestron and these are the RTI remotes.

14 hours ago, dinom said:

When I think of home theater, I'm thinking dedicated room for movie watching in my case.  For this, I find the combination touchscreen and hard button remote like Neeo is better, although Neeo needs backlit buttons badly.  I used to have an RTI system in my house, and I have to agree it was much more customizable, but that also complicated the design of the user interface.  I did like being able to add any button I'd like to any touch screen or remote screen.  So for example I could have a watch movie screen with all the transport buttons, and then have a few buttons off the side for raising the lights or changing the screen mask aspect ratio, etc., without having to change to another page.  You could also name the buttons however you'd like, so again it was 100% customizable.  

Yep, that´s exactly what i mean.

On 10/25/2020 at 6:39 PM, Matt Lowe said:

With OS 3.0 control4 has become significantly more customizable as well. to a point i dont know how much more i need other than multiple tv support for one room.

I agree with you, honesty we’ve been doing a lot more control4 since os3, rti is kind of disappearing 

Thanks 

Muj 

13 minutes ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

I agree with you, honesty we’ve been doing a lot more control4 since os3, rti is kind of disappearing 

Since this is a Control4 forum, I will point out that the last couple of CEDIAs (live ones, that is), that RTI's booth was like a ghost town, you could almost feel the tumbleweeds blowing through.

A couple of years ago, they were right next door to Control4's booth.  They weren't happy, as our booth was hopping for the whole show...

I personally think their stuff felt just a bit stale, with not a lot of large improvements.  Maybe they're just already really good at what they do and they don't need improvements, but IMHO, they needed something new and big and exciting to drive traffic at the show.

RyanE

A lot of people slate control4 and say Rti is better purely down to the fact that Rti can be fully customised, yes there is a place for Rti in the whole CI Realm, both systems have their weaknesses and strengths.

Again both systems have their purpose and at the end of the day sometimes it’s down to the clients preference and budget. Can’t argue with that. 

One thing Rti lacks in is support (in the UK at least) not scared to say it, control4 support and Technical is a god send. 

I have huge homes being controlled via control4 and equally rti. I’ve even ripped out old rti projects and replaced with control4.

Want to change one button on an Rti screen = Truck roll out.

Want to do the same thing with control4 = login remotely from the comfort of anywhere with an internet connection. 

let me be clear not hating on anything, just stating my own opinion.

Thanks

Muj 

3 hours ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

let me be clear not hating on anything, just stating my own opinion.

Thanks

Muj 

7 minutes ago, Köhler Medientechnik said:

OK, fair enough. But then it´s not a limitation of the system.

I know this, that’s why I said the above, “just stating my own opinion” 

Thanks 

Muj

11 minutes ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

I know this, that’s why I said the above, “just stating my own opinion” 

My point is just that your statement was a bit to general IMHO, suggesting that RTI is technically not able to be updated remotely - which is not the case. 

Technically it is, but you don´t do it because of personal bad experience. That´s a different message IMHO. And of course i´m totally fine with that. 

And let me add this: i also find the remote update and management functionality of C4 superior to both Crestron and RTI.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.