C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Music to have Lossless audio at no additional cost

zaphod

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/22440090/apple-music-lossless-audio-dolby-atmos-support-audio

I wonder if this affects how Spotify will charge for the HiFi service that they are to be launching later this year.

This is also likely a blow to Tidal as they lose one of their advantages over Apple Music.

What is the max quality you can get from Apple Music today into C4 with Shairplay?

On 5/24/2021 at 9:32 PM, brantlmcdonald said:

Apple is saying you will need a wired DAC to listen to hi-res lossless, as the built-in DAC of the iPhone/iPad doesn’t support it. 

That’s only related to the 24bit/192khz content though I believe. I think 16/44 and 24/48 will not need an external DAC.

fwiw, C4 is using Shairport under the covers (a really old version I might add)

https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync

In theory  it will do 32/176.4…. But the default is 16/44.1 which I believe is what C4 currently supports.

10 minutes ago, BubbaDuck said:

Heh, well, assuming Apple didn’t break it every other week.

Got nothing to do w that. There are other streaming services that do everything I need. My family is very happy w Spotify

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Got nothing to do w that. There are other streaming services that do everything I need. My family is very happy w Spotify

Agreed.  I have had Tidal for a few months and I far prefer using the Spotify app to find and start music using the play to device function.  I don't think the Tidal (or Amazon Music) UIs that we have in the C4 app are very well done.

17 minutes ago, jimbones said:

@BubbaDuckI hear ya, our family would also love a better apple music integration, so +1 from us. fingers crossed that C4 is working on an update of some kind.

I don’t even necessarily care for me personally. I’ll figure it out. But every customer ever saying “what about Apple Music” makes you feel like a dumb ass after a while. “But I thought C4 was the best? It can’t do Apple?!” It can create a FUD/credibility issue and frankly - C4 should have it. AirPlay is a work around compared to full integration. AirPlay should be a convenience, not a replacement.

Ah the Apple Fan base.

Apple Music not in C4 is unfortunately not likely. It's not because of Apple not cooperating of course. It's never Apple. 🙄

I've had VERY few clients ask me about it to be honest (can think of one, which means I likely forgot 1-3) but I'd love to say yes. AFAIK it's still in the 'Apple wants full control over it' phase, with them allowing very limited access otherwise.

Don’t get me as a fanboy. I much prefer Spotify and hope they have lossless close behind. And I’m not saying it’s easy. I’m sure C4 has their reasons or it would be done by now. Apple IS an 800lb gorilla in the space, so native support, everything else being equal, would be good. I get it, Apple is a PITA and I’m not suggesting C4 sell their soul to get it, but it is also conspicuously missing. 

I’d add, I’m sure Apple will cooperate. Pay them enough or give them enough control and they’ll cooperate. See my sell your soul comment.

A minor point to the above, it seems Apple lossless will only be coming to ATV 4K, so no older model ATVs to save a few bucks just to stream lossless. A late 2014 MacMini is the closest to a “stick it in the rack” cheaper used player one will get. Meh. 

I get that the lack of Apple Music in Control4 is Apple's fault, but the lack of Airplay 2 on the other hand isn't. Apple licenses it to 3rd parties and there are a lot of Airplay 2 devices out there. Airplay 1, which is what Shairbridge supports isn't very reliable and Airplay 2 fixes that. I'd be completely satisfied with Control4 simply adding Airplay 2 support. I continue to be surprised that this hasn't happened and am really curious as to why.

I’d venture a guess C4 doesn’t want to license it. Their current implementation, as I mentioned earlier, is based on an open source implementation. My guess is the FOSS implementation isn’t fully baked yet (seems the protocol was only cracked ~18 months ago) OR there is some sort of IP or patent issue C4 doesn’t want to touch with a FOSS implementation. 100% speculation though.

38 minutes ago, BubbaDuck said:

I’d venture a guess C4 doesn’t want to license it. Their current implementation, as I mentioned earlier, is based on an open source implementation. My guess is the FOSS implementation isn’t fully baked yet (seems the protocol was only cracked ~18 months ago) OR there is some sort of IP or patent issue C4 doesn’t want to touch with a FOSS implementation. 100% speculation though.

C4 has since stated on numerous occasions that they will not work with any cracked/reverse engineered setups (due to pas experience I'm sure)

As for cost of implementing Airplay2 or Apple Music ... in cash or data ... I know no details, though I can certainly speculate.

Oh and PS the fanboy wasn't towards you but to the people saying 'what about apple music'

Does Airplay 2 still rely on your phone to play the music.  IMO that is one of the big drawbacks with Airplay v1.  With Spotify Connect when you play to a device it takes your phone out of the connection so you can leave the LAN without dropping music or you can play other audio on your phone without killing the stream.  One exception to this seems to be putting in Airpods - that switches the audio output from a C4 driver to your headphones.

9 hours ago, zaphod said:

Does Airplay 2 still rely on your phone to play the music.  IMO that is one of the big drawbacks with Airplay v1.  With Spotify Connect when you play to a device it takes your phone out of the connection so you can leave the LAN without dropping music or you can play other audio on your phone without killing the stream.  One exception to this seems to be putting in Airpods - that switches the audio output from a C4 driver to your headphones.

No. One of the benefits to Airplay 2 is having another device like a HomePod be the source. Looking forward to one day saying "Hey Siri, play something" and it works over C4.....

21 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Can you not do that today with auto sensing, assuming that you can hook an Apple Music source up to an amp in C4?

Since shairbridge is Airplay1, you need your phone. You could use an Airplay2 bridge to connect to a amp, that would also work. My appletv also connects to sharebridge....but the sync to video is off in my setup.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.