C4 Forums | Control4

irrigation caddy

Hi guy's I installed recently Irrigation Caddy system. It works pretty bad for me.

The control is very limited. turns on and off valves. really. no schedule, drops connection with C4 controller all the time, sluggish respond. I got some nice explanations from tech support, but I don't need explanation, I need working device. Will nether use it anymore.... 

Does anybody know anything about any better system for irrigation?

6 minutes ago, mallom said:

My Rachio is arriving tomorrow. I am very excited about it!

The only problem I see so far is the price of the Control4 driver.. I don't think I will have it integrated with my system.

Most Rachio owners will tell you that there's no need to integrate it. It works on a schedule, never have to touch it. It just works. 

I only got the driver since I needed a way for my sprinkler guy to access the zones for turning the system on and then closing it for the winter.   The gen 2 of rachio has local controls on the box to turn zones on and off manually so in my opinion less of a need for the driver with gen 2 rachio hardware

someone once wrote they have it programmed so if there is a fire in the house the sprinklers go on.   Sure every bit helps but not sure if that's useful.  

45 minutes ago, fprefect said:

I love my rachio!!  I have an old iphone in a lifeproof case that i leave out for the sprinkler guys to do their thing.  They really like it and don't understand why their company doesn't sell them...

Great idea... I have a cheap amazon fire that I can leave it there for them. Thanks for the input

• 1 year later...

Does anyone here still use an Irrigation Caddy?  It appears that the company no longer exists - can anyone confirm.  The http://www.irrigationcaddy.com/ website is still alive but the cloud site at https://cloud.irrigationcaddy.com gives 404 errors (at least to me).  I was having issues where a zone would only run for 5 minutes but that error went away when I turned off the cloud service in the local web UI - does anyone else have this issue?

The device should continue to work indefinitely as it has a local web UI embedded in the controller but remote access likely won't work.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Does anyone here still use an Irrigation Caddy?  It appears that the company no longer exists - can anyone confirm.  The http://www.irrigationcaddy.com/ website is still alive but the cloud site at https://cloud.irrigationcaddy.com gives 404 errors (at least to me).  I was having issues where a zone would only run for 5 minutes but that error went away when I turned off the cloud service in the local web UI - does anyone else have this issue?

The device should continue to work indefinitely as it has a local web UI embedded in the controller but remote access likely won't work.

As far as i know the company is fallen apart or completely got at this point. should continue working for as long as the device works locally. control4 even has a new irrigation control driver that can be tied with a weather driver too!

i personally switched over to the rachio and its everything i wished the caddy would have been the first go around and the app for the phone is really nice too.

I think we have had this discussion before to me but the utility of spending >$50 for a C4 driver is dubious IMHO as there isn't much benefit to having your irrigation controller tied into C4, except for the weather integration.

Also, in case your neighbor's dog routinely poops on your lawn and you happen to notice through the window at that very moment.  You could fire that zone on via voice control.  Mission accomplished.  Also, I finally noticed this weekend that the updated amazon music app (Canada) accepts voice commands for not only prime music.  It'll trigger devices in your house.

4 hours ago, zaphod said:

I think we have had this discussion before to me but the utility of spending >$50 for a C4 driver is dubious IMHO as there isn't much benefit to having your irrigation controller tied into C4, except for the weather integration.

if you buy the rachio from me we buy from black wire and you get the driver for free!

3 hours ago, dcovach said:

Also, in case your neighbor's dog routinely poops on your lawn and you happen to notice through the window at that very moment.  You could fire that zone on via voice control.  Mission accomplished.  Also, I finally noticed this weekend that the updated amazon music app (Canada) accepts voice commands for not only prime music.  It'll trigger devices in your house.

I did mine with a motion sensor keeps stray cats and pesky neighbors out of the yard!

5 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

I did mine with a motion sensor keeps stray cats and pesky neighbors out of the yard!

Great idea!  I was thinking about that too.  Hah!  How quick is the response?  5 seconds till friendly fire?

Years ago I bought a motion activated sprinkler to deter racoons from pulling back my newly laid sod to eat the grubs.  My irrigation system takes at least 5-10 seconds to come to life after being activated so I don't know if that would work well for the dogs.  It also might get triggered every time a car drives by as where dogs tend to go is probably by the road/sidewalk.

20 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

As far as i know the company is fallen apart or completely got at this point. should continue working for as long as the device works locally. control4 even has a new irrigation control driver that can be tied with a weather driver too!

i personally switched over to the rachio and its everything i wished the caddy would have been the first go around and the app for the phone is really nice too.

My IrrigationCaddy kept crashing and I thought I fixed it by disabling the IC cloud but then it kept losing its IP address.  I recently replaced it with a Rachio2 and have been super pleased with the upgrade.  Agree 100% about being worth the switch. 

Archived