C4 Forums | Control4

Pocket Keypad, dealer beta testers needed!

tetondev

We are releasing a new driver called Pocket Keypad and need a limited number of beta testers to finish qualifying our driver/app. We plan to accept a limited number of Beta testers now and will continue to accept more as our driver/app pushes toward a final release.

We have developed this product in response to our own employee’s use of their personal Control4 systems as well as requests from our customers. We feel it will be a great enhancement to every Control4 install and will fill in a few gaps/holes that we felt currently exist.

In a nutshell, Pocket Keypad is a Control4 Driver and smartphone application that gives you four virtual 6-button keypads, a remote control and dedicated lights tab. See below for a list of features:

1. Smart phone app. Pocket Keypad is currently available on Android and will be available shortly on Iphone (followed by Windows Phone and tablet optimized apps for all three platforms).

2. External Access, the easy way! While there are a couple of options for customers to access their control4 systems from outside their home, we felt that there was a need for a FAST and EASY option to access your system. Existing options can be cumbersome to use while on the go, are difficult/messy for a dealer to setup and can potentially open up security vulnerabilities to a customer’s home network. With Pocket Keypad, there is virtually NO setup…external access JUST WORKS.

3. Push Notifications. Why spend all the time and money on our control4 systems just to leave it all at home? With Pocket Keypad, you can easily setup any text-based notification to be sent from any event. It’s as simple as typing the message and dragging/dropping into your typical Control4 programming routine. No other setup required.

4. FAST. Customers have less and less patience in today’s world. Everything is expected instantly. One of the biggest area’s we’ve focused on for this driver/app is speed. Changing rooms, browsing your watch and listen lists…all done instantly. Inspiration for Pocket Keypad was derived from taking the few things done most often in your system and making those things super accessible, fast and easy to get to.

5. Legacy support. We love the Control4 MyHome app and our customers do to! It’s quickly becoming the most used method for our customers when they control their homes. With this in mind, we have MANY customers who have an older install and are always a little bummed to find out they can’t use their smartphones to control their house without updating their whole system. For this reason, we made Pocket Keypad work on older Control4 systems (tested back to 1.7.4).

6. Four 6-button keypads. 6-button keypads are awesome! Sometimes having dedicated buttons for some of the most used tasks can prove to be the most efficient and easy way to control your system. So why not throw a few 6-button keypads in your pocket that can be used inside and outside your home?? Dealers and techs will feel right at home programming these 6-button keypads as they are programmed just the same as a hardware keypad. All keypad buttons in the app are customizable in style and label.

7. Remote Control. In today’s world, everyone tends to carry their phone with them all the time. Try out the included remote control.

8. Lights. It’s always a good idea to be able to control your lights from anywhere.

We have been testing Pocket Keypad for several months now within our own company as well as with a few select customers and all the feedback we have gotten is positive. Everyone uses Pocket Keypad on a daily basis.

If you are interested in helping us beta test to make sure we have any and all bugs ironed out in the next couple weeks then please PM or reply to this thread and we’ll get you hooked up with the driver/app.

Check-out the screen caps and in-app videos below.

Setup is dead simple...takes about 20-30 seconds on the app...see video below:

Pocket Keypad can also be customized to meet a customers specific needs and style:

Just a quick video on showing some usage:

One more video showing Pocket Keypad working over a 3G (external) connection!!!

I have attached a few screen shots of the app as well...

Stay tuned guys! We'll be rolling out the driver/app in waves. We'd like to start small to make sure we address any problems that arise. We plan to send out the driver/app to the first round today and if things go well, we'll likely be adding more testers to the pool every few days.

So you if you don't get in today, then stay tuned and you will be shortly...

Also just wanted to re-iterate...this beta is only open to dealers right now. If you are a dealer and have an account on the official c4 forums, then make sure to reply to our post there or PM on those boards for easy dealer verification. If you are a dealer, but don't use the official c4 forums then you'll just have to let us know what dealer you are associated with and we can verify.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to get this setup later tonight or tomorrow and put it through it's paces.

We're leaving the country next week and our house sitters really seem to struggle with "controlling the house". I can't figure out why, I think it's incredibly simple, but they don't. They both have Android phones, and I'm going to sit down with them and get each of their phones setup to do the things they'll do most often and/or struggle to do.

I'm excited to play with it myself when I get back as well. I'll make sure and share my findings.

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick update...

First of all, a HUGE thanks to all dealers that helped beta test Pocket Keypad!! We had some great feedback.

The beta period for Pocket Keypad Android is now over. We were happy to have found very few bugs and the drivers and Android app have been updated and are both ready for release. The driver is available to download at www.pocketkeypad.com and is currently at version 1.10. The Android app can be found in the Android Market and is currently at version 1.0.1.

The next phase for Pocket Keypad Beta will be for the iPhone app which should be available shortly. I'll post back here when the iPhone app is ready for testing.

For any non-dealers watching this thread...please feel free to contact us directly at support@pocketkeypad.com and we can help you out.

• 9 months later...

We are just finishing our internal testing of the iOS app now. We expect to upload to the App Store for Apple approval within the next week. It usually takes Apple 1 to 1.5 weeks to approve an app...so we are looking about ~2 weeks until the app is ready for download.

We are just finishing our internal testing of the iOS app now. We expect to upload to the App Store for Apple approval within the next week. It usually takes Apple 1 to 1.5 weeks to approve an app...so we are looking about ~2 weeks until the app is ready for download.

FYI..tried to go to your website and it's not running...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
With the MyHome bundled license coming up I'm left wondering how these apps fit into the mix ?

I have MyHome and this app, and I use this app all the time. You can use it remotely with no configuration/VPN required, and it connects about 10 times faster than MyHome. It's a great app.

With the MyHome bundled license coming up I'm left wondering how these apps fit into the mix ?

I have MyHome and this app' date=' and I use this app all the time. You can use it remotely with no configuration/VPN required, and it connects about 10 times faster than MyHome. It's a great app.[/quote']

2.4 with the bundled licensing is supposed to offer remote my home connectivity with no special VPN setup.

If that is in fact thecase, the question still stands I think .....

I have MyHome and this app' date=' and I use this app all the time. You can use it remotely with no configuration/VPN required, and it connects about 10 times faster than MyHome. It's a great app.[/quote']

2.4 with the bundled licensing is supposed to offer remote my home connectivity with no special VPN setup.

If that is in fact thecase, the question still stands I think .....

This may or may not be part of 2.4 on release - but it certainly is coming soon. That said 4Sight subscription will be required, so there should be room for other options there yet.

i also would like the feedback to know if something actually executed, only drawback of this app, but it does work

The app basically has built in push notifications, I've used it for a couple of weeks and I love it. It's fast and it has a lot of built in little things that you don't realize at first. You should definitely give it a try!!

Archived