I have a reasonably sized system:

1 HC500

2 HTC

2 7" TS

9 Dimmers/Switches

16 zone AMP

1 C4 Tuner

SR250

V2 Remote (I know this wont work with the new system, will probably use as a paperweight :)

So as the title says, I am thinking of upgrading to 2.3. Right now I am happy with the performance on 1.7.4, but I really like the new UI and always like to have the most up to date SW. How will my system be affected with 2.3 in terms of both system responsiveness and Zigbee responsiveness? The only thing that has been holding me back is the thought that it will become more sluggish and take a step backwards. I also was thinking of browsing eBay to find a used HC1000 (either V2 or V3) to add into the system. Would that help at all? If i bought it with 2.3 will I get the OS 2.0 without having to pay for a license?

Any help or insights you might have will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks you!

I would get either an HC250 or 800 over the 1000. Not just for the processing performance, but also for the improved zigbee speed. Switching rooms on a zigbee device is probably 20 times faster on the new controllers. List navigator seems to respond fairly instantaneously now. And then with the new controller, you wouldnt need to buy an upgrade license to go from 1.7.4.

correct me if im wrong ... but depend on how many device ( dimmer, switch , tv , etc etc ) you want to control i got a hc-200 and a hc-300 on 2.3 and i got nothing negative to say about it

I would get either an HC250 or 800 over the 1000. Not just for the processing performance, but also for the improved zigbee speed. Switching rooms on a zigbee device is probably 20 times faster on the new controllers. List navigator seems to respond fairly instantaneously now. And then with the new controller, you wouldnt need to buy an upgrade license to go from 1.7.4.

I am not happy with 2.3.0. There is a major lighting scene bug that effectively kills all lighting scenes. The bug can appear at any time after the install. There are some workarounds - none guaranteed to work - and no patch yet.

I would go to 2.2.4 which seems stable. Or wait until 2.4 is out and well tested by the community.

correct me if im wrong ... but depend on how many device ( dimmer, switch , tv , etc etc ) you want to control i got a hc-200 and a hc-300 on 2.3 and i got nothing negative to say about it

He mentioned exactly what he has...

I am not happy with 2.3.0. There is a major lighting scene bug that effectively kills all lighting scenes. The bug can appear at any time after the install. There are some workarounds - none guaranteed to work - and no patch yet.

I would go to 2.2.4 which seems stable. Or wait until 2.4 is out and well tested by the community.

Only lighting scene bug I know of is quite fixable.

Unless you're talking about scheduled events.....

whats the benefice to upgrade to the 2.4 ? i didnt see the release ... whats new ?

Actually none of the fixes for lighting scenes are guaranteed to work. I have at least one client where none have worked and are waiting on the patch. Yes, the scheduled events is another issue and another reason not to jump to 2.3.0 until it is patched.

I have a fairly robust system. I have lighting scenes as well - I PROBABLY use all if not almost ALL of the C4 capabilities and many of them near the max.

I have had not one single issue with version 2.3. It is stable and rock solid and has solved the only nagging issue that I had all along (Rhapsody issues).

I highly recommend it.

Bill

I'll second Bill on this.

I've had the scheduling issue only in two places, one of them my own. Scenes issue in 1. Both no issues getting it back going.

There is never a guarantee - but I'd say risk is small and 2.3 runs much smoother than 2.2.4 IMHO.

And that's out of somewhere between 25 and 50 systems on 2.3

• 2 weeks later...

Regretfully I have to agree - these comments precisely describe my own experiences.

2.3 is a disaster. Zigbee, lighting and scheduling issues. Stay away.

I'll second Bill on this.

I've had the scheduling issue only in two places, one of them my own. Scenes issue in 1. Both no issues getting it back going.

There is never a guarantee - but I'd say risk is small and 2.3 runs much smoother than 2.2.4 IMHO.

And that's out of somewhere between 25 and 50 systems on 2.3

Must say 2.3 runs better for me, had the odd light issue - All sorted and runs well

Only have 5 Puck Dimmers, T/STAT, 2 Senors and the full home cinema - HC250.

gary

Archived