C4 Forums | Control4

Is Now A Good Time to Go For Control 4?

Hi,

I am considering a Control4 system. My initial goal is to control the retrofit lighting design which we are installing with scenes etc but would expand to other functions down the road. I really like the fact that Control4 is pretty much the only system which provides full control over everything. 

My main concerns are the longevity of the company itself and the impact of the upcoming Apple solution on the market.

Also, for UK users who have nice homes but not high end London apartments or Surrey mansions, how have you found the Control4 impacted your sale price on your home? I assume the UK buyers would find it more of a turn off than a turn on like they might in the US (outside of the high end homes)

Thanks

Control4 is not going anywhere anytime soon. They have been buying a few other companies and their products to expand their base. There is a lot of competition, but this gives you choices for more stuff to integrate into control4. Hue and wemo for example compete for lighting and both integrate nicely into control4. Most people that i know typically take their control4 products to their new homes as it is pretty straight forward to remove and bring with you.

If they take the equipment with them, what do they do about 6 button keypads which are then useless to the new owner except for the top button? I have moved once and left my C4 equipment. I would love to take everything if I move again... But every light switch in my house is a 6 button keypad...

I'm not so sure people remove their gear, I've seen both here.

As to 'added value to the house' - not much, though NOT having SOME form of this kind of thing is starting to become a detriment on the market. Not so much on the actual dollar amount value, but on the speed of sale/negotiation strength.

Thought I just moved into my house so not looking to move anytime soon - in my market I'd leave it behind.  Seeing Automation, back up generators and other "luxury" items are starting to become more commonplace.  Besides, you may have different lighting needs, want different color touch screens, new house may be wired different so different units are needed not needed, etc.  going back to lighting, I'd have to bring an electrician in to remove my 15-20+ switches/keypads and replace them with standard switches so there is a cost there, not as much as a C4 investment, but you see my point.  

I have an HC 800 and HC-250, if I had to move tomorrow maybe I take one of those with me but likely leave the rest behind and start again with C4.

With panelized lighting a HC250 with lighting scenes and the switches has to remain. I see that's leaving <1% of the home value and even if the buyer never said hi to a dealer the lighting would keep chugging along.

Beyond that I would have a conversation about the rest with the buyer and see it they were interested in more. With 72RU rack in the corner of the master bedroom walk in closet anyone visiting the apartment and taking a tour (recent gut reno) notices it and wows that all AV is consolidated there.

Wazzza69, 

I use the puck dimmers/witches and Phillip Hue light bulbs for our lighting, along with sensors for turning on and off. 

Doing it this way means everything can come with me when/if I move - I also get to keep all the UK light switches so no massive decorating bills. 

If you go down the C4 route I would have the movie server set up straight away (Dune/popcorn and my movies), just gives a bit of fun when you have guess round !!!

Drop me a line and we can have a chat if you wish - I`m not a dealer just a basic user 

Archived