C4 Forums | Control4

Nest and Control4?

The problem is that people find it necessary to try and manually control their thermostat, which may be the most inefficient. A well thought out program should be all that you need outside of some occasional over rides. Generally you should never need to touch your thermostat, especially if you want cost savings and efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed! I spent the first week or two fiddling with my thermostat settings 2 winters back (all on my iPad and composer HE) then it was perfect for the whole of winter. This last winter I had to fiddle again for a day or two but only because we had added insulation in the interim and thus the 'perfect' setup was now different... Next winter I expect to press one button (a StartHere button marked 'winter') and hey presto, thermostat schedules will start, my heatpumps will come on and programming will activate...

Absolutely agreed - but I lived with nest for some time - and it's learning, while not bad, isn't as good as you CAN set it yourself.

But in a new house, new zoning system etc, it's quite normal to want some manual control untill you get the hang of it. Also why I mentioned putting the tstats up initially - if you want to 'pretty' it up later those wires can always be changed to remote sensors.

Agreed it take some adjustment to find the comfort spots for each zone. My comment was somewhat direct at the OP, or wife, as they mention manual control of the zones as the default. Also a lot of people have started to use the geofencing features of these stats which again while cool and techie isn't the most cost effective, especially on the cooling side.

I guess in general my comment was more of a caution and suggestion to develop a good program for the best efficiency.

The reason that manual control is such a big deal for us is that while in our past two homes we have had our nest thermostat we have still had a lot of problems with consistent temps throughout the house.  The design of our prior HVAC systems has been to have one large return in the house located in a back hallway by the thermostat.  Since the hallway didn't have any windows and no real sources of heat (windows, kitchen or TV's) the temp registered back there was typically very different than the true living spaces.  We had our nest on a program and I was constantly having to tweak the program to try and keep the wife happy.  It was very common for us to be hot until the AC would kick on and then shortly there after the wife would complain about how cold she was.  To combat this we would program the fan to run 30 minutes of every hour to try and even out the temps but still this was and continues to be an ongoing issue for us and one that we hope to resolve in the new house by doing the following:

1. As described before we are going to have a lot of separate zones.
  2. No more single stage units.  We are going to have two separate 2 stage units instead of the single stage units we had before.  With the single stage units it did seem that when the units were on they were really on.  By reducing the fan speed and the units running for longer periods of time we hope to avoid the big temp swings that we have had in the past.  
  3. Multiple returns.  Instead of having just one large return we will have a separate return in each bedroom and the other living spaces in the house, total of 10 in the whole home.  
  4. Better insulation.  Our past homes had fiberglass batt insulation and I don't think it was installed worth a crap.  We could go up to the wall in some rooms and you could just feel the heat on the wall.  The new home is going to have spray foam throughout and a conditioned attic.
  5. Better windows.  I would joke that our old house window panes were so thin that they only had one side to them.  Single pane windows create hot spots and our new Simonton Storm Breaker Plus triple pane windows should be far superior to what we used to have.

Living where we do (Texas coast) our issue is cooling and not really heating so while most of what we have done should help both sides of the issue our focus has clearly been on the AC side of things.

A couple of things.

It sounds like your previous hvac was either old and or poorly designed. A new and properly designed, balanced system should not cause the same issues. This sounds like where your at.

The Ecobee 3's as msgreenf discussed and their wireless temp/motion sensor(s) would also help more then a standard stat. Their integration with C4 is also rock solid.

It sounds like your previous hvac was either old and or poorly designed. A new and properly designed, balanced system should not cause the same issues. This sounds like where your at.

Actually the system and house wasn't that old.  The home was built in 2002 so I would have expected more.  With everything related to that home it did seem that decisions made regarding cost on it's construction tended to on the cheap side so I'm sure that applied to the HVAC as well.

• 3 years later...
3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

No

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for replay so fast, so if im away from my network, and I access the Nest app, make changes, are those changes will register in control4?  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.