C4 Forums | Control4

?✅ BlackWire Announces Massive 1,400+ Emoji Driver for Control4 ???

BlackWire_emoji.gif

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 
BlackWire Announces Massive 1,400+ Emoji Driver for Control4

For years, Control4 dealers have endured installing advanced home automation systems without having the ability to feature emojis on their interfaces. “This crime ends today,” boldly claims Kevin Luther, President of BlackWire. BlackWire has introduced a massive collection of emojis for Control4 dealers to add the expressive and sometimes quirky icons commonly used on mobile messaging to their automation systems. 

“I worked in the industry for years and if I had a nickel for every time I wanted to have a sheep icon to trigger a lighting scene or a pile of poo emoji to turn the TV to cable news, I’d be rich and retired,” said Seth Johnson, BlackWire’s Software Development Manager. “These emojis are essential to communication throughout the world and it only makes sense to see them on our touch screens to assist in how we control our homes.” 

The Emoji Pack contains a staggering 1,439 emojis in eight categories including People, Activities, Food, Symbols, Travel, Flags, and Nature. Control4 certified installers can install and program the emoji icons to trigger custom programming in their client’s homes in only a few simple steps. “We see this becoming as essential to the system as the network,” said Luther, “with dealers including emojis in every one of their projects in the future.” 

The BlackWire Emoji Pack for Control4 is now available at www.blackwiredesigns.com/c4z-emoji and can be installed on any project running C4 OS 2.9 and up. 

emoji_t3_screen_capture.png

5 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Hopefully with a trial period... in which case I will be getting  my dealer to install it as it looks supercool!

We offer trial licenses on everything 

13 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

My dealer has added it to my project. I assume I don't need a key for the trial period? How long will it last? I will hopefully (wife willing) get to play with this and one or two other new drivers tomorrow...

A key is required for a trial. Your dealer will need to request one 

2 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

Can it replace the default ICONS or do you have to go the emoji section and then access them there?

From what I can see you create a (lots of) new experience button(s) (using this driver) and can then change the picture on the button(s) programmatically (very cool!) and also activate programming when the button is pressed.  

I kind of see it working something like this for, say, a holiday button:

1. When pressed, toggle variable holiday

2. When holiday variable is changed, if variable is true, set the emoji experience button to a sun. If false, set it to an emoji of a man at work (a bit like a road sign for road works).

I've no idea if such emojis exist but with hundreds to choose from, you get the idea!

I have installed a test version of driver and love the emojis... They make for very rich experience buttons!

The only thing that I cannot get right is changing the state of the button dynamically.  I have programmed this and it does nothing (even when I go out and back in to the menu).  I wonder if the problem is because I am on Os2.9.0 and OS2.9.1?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2017 at 1:40 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

I have installed a test version of driver and love the emojis... They make for very rich experience buttons!

The only thing that I cannot get right is changing the state of the button dynamically.  I have programmed this and it does nothing (even when I go out and back in to the menu).  I wonder if the problem is because I am on Os2.9.0 and OS2.9.1?

To close the loop on this (for anyone else who experiences this problem) - version 1.4 of the driver fixes this issue.

Two other comments:

1. This really is an awesome driver! There have been a lot of these awesome drivers released over the last year or so... Alan, Blackwire, MS, Domosapiens etc. keep up the good work! 

2. Back to this driver, interestingly it works perfectly (rock solid) on my iOS devices (based on my limited testing). The known issue that one sometimes has to back out of a page and go back in to get it to update the icon is only an issue on my Touchscreens (T3s).  I have yet to test this on my kindle and my V2s. Hopefully a later OS will deal with this or give us a "page refresh" command.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure that this is the correct place to post requests for changes to this great driver...?

Two changes that would make this driver even more phenomenal are:

1. The ability to set the emoji via a string.  For instance once could have a macro that creates a string ("tempstring") based on something and that value of tempstring could then be used to set the state of the emoji.  For instance, one might set the value of Tempstring to "keycap ten" and then use tempstring to create the state of the emoji... This would allow a lot of flexibility (using the same code to se the state of multiple buttons based on different things).

2. Currently there are 11 keycap emojis (0 to 10).  It would be great if this could be increase to 31 to allow for all the days in a month...

Here is hoping!

• 2 months later...

Archived