C4 Forums | Control4

New Control4 Controller Soon?

THawes

13 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Non AV centric controller, focused on lighting/shades/security. More of an entry level replacement for vera, wink, smartthings. 

Exactly. If priced right, it could get people in the door and introduced to Control4.

Is it possible this is simply a wired zigbee antenna or repeater? The serial connection wouldn't be needed however unless its there for updates. Using the EA1 as zigbee repeaters/ antennas has always been a waste if you don't need the IR connections etc and they are also only black, so mounting locations have been limited. Something like this, small and white with a price point of say $249 or $349 would be nice for larger homes that need remote antennas.

6 minutes ago, elodesigns said:

Is it possible this is simply a wired zigbee antenna or repeater? The serial connection wouldn't be needed however unless its there for updates. Using the EA1 as zigbee repeaters/ antennas has always been a waste if you don't need the IR connections etc and they are also only black, so mounting locations have been limited. Something like this, small and white with a price point of say $249 or $349 would be nice for larger homes that need remote antennas.

It can surely be used as that but the documentation shows it as a controller.

11 minutes ago, zaphod said:

This could be useful to interface with a security system since that often requires serial and is in a location where there is no AV equipment.

Yeah, this is better than Pyng because you had to buy a separate device for a serial connection to an alarm panel https://www.crestron.com/en-US/Products/Control-Hardware-Software/Hardware/Accessories/PYNG-CONNECT-COM 

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

This could be useful to interface with a security system since that often requires serial and is in a location where there is no AV equipment.

I have a used eBay hc-250 i paid less than $100 for that I use for that case and it’s awesome. It also has the benefit of having a relay I use to control my garage door. I guess EOL is a concern for that at some point 

1 hour ago, Luke said:

I have a used eBay hc-250 i paid less than $100 for that I use for that case and it’s awesome. It also has the benefit of having a relay I use to control my garage door. I guess EOL is a concern for that at some point 

We have probably been competing to buy these!  One of the reasons that I can't yet go to 2.10 is that I have my original controller, which is an HC-300, sitting in a room in my basement to connect to my alarm panel.  I hope to use a serial to ethernet cable to bring this signal to my main controller but that may not work as apparently serial is flakey over longer runs.

just in case, might be I missed something, but there is no serial input, so not all security systems can be connected (it100 - rs232), so it is mostly lights and blinds? or wired zigbee extender? might be zwave with usb dongle? no relays as well? 

14 minutes ago, vitali said:

just in case, might be I missed something, but there is no serial input, so not all security systems can be connected (it100 - rs232), so it is mostly lights and blinds? or wired zigbee extender? might be zwave with usb dongle? no relays as well? 

Uhm picture, where is states SERIAL?

7 hours ago, vitali said:

It is a RJ-45 serial connector instead of the DB-9 connector you see other places.

It also looks like its not a dongle, but a z-wave chip that could be added.

13 minutes ago, Control-IT said:

Couldn’t you add on serial over ip and then add zigbee io and everything else needed?  Just a base unit like an EA1?  What else could it offer

yeah you could do that but i guessing this was made to have it so the installer didnt have to worry about that extra piece.

25 minutes ago, Control-IT said:

Couldn’t you add on serial over ip and then add zigbee io and everything else needed?  Just a base unit like an EA1?  What else could it offer

I have no real info but I’d speculate that it offers a lower price point and potentially even an end user programmed system since AV isn’t involved (detailed manual does not support this theory) 

The Control4® CA-1 Control and Automation Controller enables control of lights,
security systems, sensors, door locks, and other devices controlled by IP, ZigBee,
Z-Wave®, or serial connections. The controller has a fast processor, external
antennas for WiFi and ZigBee radios, an internal slot for a Z-Wave module (sold
spearately), and can be powered by PoE. This controller is perfect for home,
apartments, and other installations that do not require IR control or audio
streaming.

1 minute ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

The Control4® CA-1 Control and Automation Controller enables control of lights,
security systems, sensors, door locks, and other devices controlled by IP, ZigBee,
Z-Wave®, or serial connections. The controller has a fast processor, external
antennas for WiFi and ZigBee radios, an internal slot for a Z-Wave module (sold
spearately), and can be powered by PoE. This controller is perfect for home,
apartments, and other installations that do not require IR control or audio
streaming.

I started a thread when Crestron Pyng was released wondering if Control4 would follow up with a similar product. It looks like the CA-1 is that product. Hope it sees the light of day. Fits me perfectly.

12 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I started a thread when Crestron Pyng was released wondering if Control4 would follow up with a similar product. It looks like the CA-1 is that product. Hope it sees the light of day. Fits me perfectly.

As per that thread, Pyng never was what was thought initially - any form of end user setup friendly device. I also do not thing that it would make it easier to program - so won't draw a bigger dealer market in that respect either.

It may be (and it's still the question if it'll 'be' at all) a cheaper option for very low level systems (ie no a/v) to start at for sure.

Archived