C4 Forums | Control4

Long live "merica..."

Folks have to understand 'Merica to understand Control4...

All it's "warts and all" naked capitalism...

Goes a long way in sorting out in your own minds what to do with this awesome platform..

What to do with it when it's fully operational, what to use it for and what to do when it fails...

Sometimes this naked capitalism model doesn't always wash out the same way in all corners of the globe... just keep that in mind and if necessary take matters into your own hands..

That's what the Americans would do anyway.. if the shoe was on the other foot..

Remember all, if we didn't have America and it's naked capitalism we would have never had our beloved Control4 platforms in the first place.

There would be no home automation... or even if if there was (and that is very unlikely IMHO...) just imagine the one party state version... :)

Rock on Control4!

That The “dealer only” business model has fat chance of working precisely the way it does in America in 9/10 of the worlds population you clowns.... so if they want world wide growth they’d better learn how to adjust it. But whatever. Maybe they don’t won’t world growth - probably having hard enough time as it is right now in their own backyard. I’m ok with the dealer only model. Don’t get me wrong. But I’ve learnt how to adjust it to suit both myself *AND* my local dealer ...But folks inside the US gotta understand there are dozens of different versions of “capitalism”, sales models and customer support expectations out there and the “one shoe fits all feet” model will not necessarily stack up and work in exactly the same way around most of the world as it does at home. That’s all I’m sayin. Rock on C4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW oh and yes. I can’t possibly have seen how a HA platform like this could have arisen outside the US? Say in Russia or China Asia or India? Africa - Even most of Europe. Which accounts for what ?... 95% of the worlds population - can you? Rock on C4 and rock on capitalism!

...In other words dont shove your US centric sales and support mantra down the throats of C4 customers that don’t live in the US.... and expect it to stick and work. If you want the product to flourish overseas they’ll have to learn to adjust the sales and support model... This everything must go thru the one same dealer and you treat your C4 platform “like a car” always taking it back, seek support from and complain only to the dealer - not Control4 direct type of analogy nonsense wont necessarily wash the same way round most of the world just like it does in the US... is all I’m sayin. Rock on C4

...In other words dont shove your US centric sales and support mantra down the throats of C4 customers that don’t live in the US.... and expect it to stick and work. If you want the product to flourish overseas they’ll have to learn to adjust the sales and support model... This everything must go thru the one same dealer and you treat your C4 platform “like a car” always taking it back, seek support from and complain only to the dealer - not Control4 direct type of analogy nonsense wont necessarily wash the same way round most of the world just like it does in the US... is all I’m sayin. Rock on C4

But like the car you can go to other dealers and to independents.

But y’all go on living in a Trump like bubble thinking the whole rest of the world thinks and operates just like ya”ll - (that’s *including* even some of your closest allies and the English speaking countries!) Good luck with that! Rock on C4

But like the car you can go to other dealers and to independents.

Not always. And definitely not for *everything*.... Most 99% of tech here is purchased outside your typical HA style US type dealer ... cheers.

As a crude example do you seriously think the model is going to wash the way it does currently in the US - in the biggest upcoming consumer markets the world is about to ever see- those in China, Asia, and India?

Not always. And definitely not for *everything*.... Most 99% of tech here is purchased outside your typical HA style US type dealer ... cheers.

And most tech here is purchased like that also dingo! ;)

There are like 5 people that work for control4 on this forum. The other 99.9% of people here can't change anything. As I said before if you think their business should change you should be coming investor and seek a seat on the board

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

There are like 5 people that work for control4 on this forum. The other 99.9% of people here can't change anything. As I said before if you think their business should change you should be coming investor and seek a seat on the board

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Interesting idea... I’d be a terrible board member for a tech company... so will leave this to Wap!

5 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

That The “dealer only” business model has fat chance of working precisely the way it does in America in 9/10 of the worlds population you clowns.... so if they want world wide growth they’d better learn how to adjust it. But whatever. Maybe they don’t won’t world growth - probably having hard enough time as it is right now in their own backyard. I’m ok with the dealer only model. Don’t get me wrong. But I’ve learnt how to adjust it to suit both myself *AND* my local dealer ...But folks inside the US gotta understand there are dozens of different versions of “capitalism”, sales models and customer support expectations out there and the “one shoe fits all feet” model will not necessarily stack up and work in exactly the same way around most of the world as it does at home. That’s all I’m sayin. Rock on C4.

While I think you will lose most people on here because they will instantly just take an offense to an attack on their livelyhood, the premise of what you are saying is super accurate. 
C4 will continue to exist until the IOT devices catch up. Which, if we look at the growth over the last 3 years alone, doesn't appear like it is that far away. 

I am blown away by the setup I just saw that was lutron caseta with google homes and broadlink blasters, as well as tablets and harmony. It was A HELL of a lot cheaper than my C4 setup but wow, was it close in features and userability at a 100th the cost. While it isn't quite the same user experience, and it is a bit more involved, he can almost do everything that I can do with my system. He has video and audio distribution, lights, full media control (plex on shield, bluray, amps, tv), he has thermostat control, phillips Hue, Sonos. He has security and camera integration as well. His house unlocks and locks automatically based on geo with IFTTT. He has arrays set up so that "if I do this, then to this, this this this and that." He has scenes, and tonnes of automation. On top of ALL of that, some of the things are even MORE responsive than my C4. I was BLOWN AWAY by Lutron on Google Home with voice commands. 

Now, he just bought the SmartThings adapter for like $19 for his Shield to get even MORE automation and expansion. The gap is closing. C4's business model over the next few years will prove to be less and less effective. The business model will need to be sustained by sales guys selling it as a "Stable and secure" solution above the other devices. When in reality, it is only secure as the network and password. Mostly, just like all the other devices. (mostly)

I would agree to a point. Im still getting my first C4 system running but already I can see it has it limitations. Mostly me really, as I’m not a dealer. I’ll be going the hydrid C4 route. HomeKit/Stringify/IFTTT in the back ground with C4 primarily for AV duties.

i don’t know the C4 model, but their market is not the DIY club (me). I have to assume they are going after the more affluent customer. One that doesn’t want to spend time setting up a system like this. One that doesn’t care what it costs. They just want everything to work and be easy to use.

There are people with money in every country. And I’m sure many are not the DIY type. So if C4 caters that that market, they will do just fine I’m sure.

And most tech here is purchased like that also dingo!

Yep I know that just didn’t want to remind you all the bleeding obvious just how down right weird the current model in its existing format *really* is - even in its own backyard! Lol (but then go on believing otherwise.) I’m actually fine by it. Truly. But then I have a day job. So what happens in the long run is not *really* going to effect me. Good luck to you all. Oh and Rock on C4. W.

I’m fine with it. I really am. Lived with the platform for years. It’s like an old mother in law to me. Always there in the background checking on me. It’s awesome as that. A solid HA backbone - For security, lights, cameras, basic AV control- awesome. Like a mother in law, occasionally calling in to my wife seeing how I’m doin... pretty reliable most of the time but occasionally goes off the deep end. I ignore it for a while if that happens - then finally step in when the wife whinges. Pull the plug and up she comes again for another few months of solid support. I’m fine with it. But same as my mother in law - don’t expect me to love it to bits and expect me to think it’s the next best thing since sliced bread. And don’t expect me spend my next exciting discretionary spend on it. Sure might upgrade a few TS or something but don’t expect me to think this thing is going to power HA on the next Mars colony. BTW Sometimes being able to fly aircraft by hand controls and VFR’s is needed so never throw out those old remotes. Always keep the handy. Oh and stop with the “dealer knows best and is the only port of call” line. And the “got to always go back to the dealer” mantra like it’s some sort of old 4 wheeled jallopy. Guess what. Horse and cart went out as a means of transport c 1910. And dealers don’t always “know” *everything* . Why should we expect them too anyway? Doesn’t mean they aren’t awesome and helpful or we need them and all.... My guess is this platform fails in the eyes of some users because they most probably expect to much of it. And that also includes too much expectation of their dealer and the “dealer only model” . That’s All I’m sayin. Think of your Control4 platform and your relationship with Control4 as your mother in law and you”ll be fine.

But find a way to get around her if you’re unhappy or frustrated. There are always bound to be other avenues to do dialog with your mother in law....The same old same old family line down the old analog phone doesn’t wash anymore. Even Facebook is now old. Oh and never tell your wife your doing it! 🥂 cheers.

Archived