C4 Forums | Control4

Blinds

I’m looking to expand my system to my master bedrom

Can any of the c4 experts a few questions

Can you give me directional cost info to have blinds / shades installed (approx)

Also, I have an ea3 on first floor that drives my home...do i need an ea1 if I want to add to master bedroom?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Steelermedallion said:

Can you give me directional cost info to have blinds / shades installed (approx)

Also, I have an ea3 on first floor that drives my home...do i need an ea1 if I want to add to master bedroom?

Thanks

Prices vary greatly.   I’m in the midst of the same search.  Somfy motors are about 300-400 each depending on size and which level of motor.  Then you have fabric cost.  Maybe a hub/driver cost (1x fee), if running wires vs wireless that may be a cost.  Any sort of valance.  Adds up fast

avoutlet.com has been super helpful.  He has the nicer RTS somfy motors.  Big box stores carry somfy Bali.  Both avoutlet and Home Depot/Lowe’s let you price these options online.   Big box stores will do install and measurement free or super cheap too.  Some HD/Lowe’s also sell lutron Serena.  

I got quotes for my windows for lutron or qmotion for about 750-950/window.  I was able to get somfy cheaper so 95% going that route. 

21 hours ago, Steelermedallion said:

Thanks

I have been researching this for a while now. I have heard that Somfy motors are very loud, Leutron,Hunter Douglas, Graber and all of the other big brands are so expensive! With all of these new “motorized” window treatments popping up they are mostly using RF 433MHz technology. I have been told all I need is a RF bridge switch that works with Control4. Now I am looking to see if I can find a good programmer to add it to the system since as a consumer don’t have access to add drivers or components to our system. 

A friend bought Smith & Nobel Motiva motorized blinds and it works with Control4 and Alexa just find via the method I stated above. Anyone else have input in this?

For the person who noted the expense:  Look for the discussion of Bali blinds in different threads.  I averaged below 300 per blind, they have integrated Zwave radio.  Get a cheap vera hub, get the free C4drivers installed and you're in business.

13 hours ago, Alicia said:

I have been researching this for a while now. I have heard that Somfy motors are very loud

The Bali Somfy blinds are about 52-53 decibels.  The somfy 30RTS I think were 42-43 decibels.  Lutron Serena is 38.  Qmotion would not disclose.  I could be +\- 1 or two decibels off but that’s the general spread - low/mid 50s down to upper 30s.  So between Bali and lutron huge difference.  Between RTS and lutron a bit less.  Somfy has even more expensive motors I think that get down to 39-40 decibels.  

I was told wired v wireless, weight of fabric, etc all vary with sound levels too. 

I spent a solid 4-6 months researching and calling vendors and supply houses to get some good ideas.  

One drawback to Somfy was motors don’t always act in unison.  For me 90% of the the time in my living room they will be up.  In bedroom blackout will go down nightly when I hit goodnight but I do that on other side of house so I won’t hear or see them go down 🙂

9 hours ago, Steelermedallion said:

Did you install yourself or did you contract it out? If you contracted, was it a significant level of effort (ie. Bill for labor??)

Lowe’s/Hd usually measure and install up to like 10-12 window for $150-$200 total which to me is a great deal.   My qmotion quote came lumped with labor plus material as a per window cost

some Home Depot and Lowe’s do lutron Serena too.  And though it doesn’t show on their internal web order they can call lutron and order the regular low voltage option.  

I didn’t do lutron because Serena dorms that’s a small dual bracket option and bumping to other lutron lines for expensive.  Bali had a dual bracket but too loud.  So going with a dual bracket RTS option from Avoutlet.com

41 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

The loudness thing cracks me up.  In my house, they are up or down maybe three times a day, tops.  OH GOD THE NOISE! 

I guess we're all different.

I tend to agree which is why One of a few reasons why I am not going Serena.  Each situation is unique though as are user preferences, budgets, etc 

Archived