C4 Forums | Control4

Will OS3 with HC800 using EA1s for On screen displays run fast enough...

discipulus1

Hello everyone,  

I was hoping to pick your knowledge on this.  A quick overview of my system:

• 19 audio zones (older model C4 16 channel audio matrix switch ->two older C4 16 channel amplifiers, four non C4 multi zone amplifiers connected to the main HC-800 running composer and audio IO)
  • 90~100 zigbee devices 
  • 3x HC-800 
  • 3x HC-300 that are being replaced with EA1 to 4TV's  One using an HDMI splitter to 2 TVs 
  • 2x IO Extenders 
  • Powered Blinds in 8 rooms running off the extenders and random IO fro the HC300s /HC800s 
  • Usual fun programming for lights, motion sensors etc based on sunset sunrise etc etc
  • Older Alarm panel to the main HC800.  I use the motion sensors off of the alarm to trigger random events etc
  • 4 or so iOS devices 
  • Jandy pool controller RS485
  • 3x 260 remotes and probably add a Neo eventually 
  • 5x Infinity touch screens which I'll have to retire.  Debating if its worth it to buy the T3s at all considering we all have our phones on us 24/7 these days...

OK, so here is the question, If I use one HC800 for composer and audio from the EA3 into the matrix switch, will the HC800 be able to run the OS3 properly or will it bog down too much?  Also, do the new EA controllers have faster Zigbee chipsets?  Depending on that, should I use the HC800 or EA3/EA1 should I run as the zigbee controller?  I use to use all 3 of the HC-800 as access points for the zigbee on the far points of the house as its shaped in a huge L (one controller on each end and one in the middle in the server rack).  I was told by my dealer it would make the light switches more responsive over the older HC300s when i switched.

Second, I was going to use the EA3 to input a few channels of audio to the C4 16 channel matrix switch though looking at it, I only see two digital audio out and a 3.5mm out so I'm not sure i can do this or should i use another HC800 to feed the audio matrix switch since I do have 3 of them laying around. 

Any and all feedback is appreciated.  

I just did an OS3 upgrade and have an HC-800, put in a EA1.  No issues, for me.  However, you should take a look at the alarm compatibility.  I have a GE NX-E panel and had a NX-587 module plugged into the back of the HC-800 for similar alarm events.  The 587 is not compatible with OS3.  So I'm trying to find a workaround, but there really isn't anyone around here that still supports NX panels.  I've been told the NX-584 will work with OS 3, but requires panel programming.

Thanks guys. I’ll give it a go and test to see the difference in speed. I hope this upgrade’s worth getting rid of the touch screens and 2 speaker points. God I hate running wires in the house but so be it. I need my elevator music in my guest bathrooms during parties lol

Lsst, should I use the 3 hc800 for zigbee Access points?

• 4 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 1:51 PM, SMHarman said:

No, the 800 will not run OSD but that was not the question..

Will OS3 with HC800 using EA1s for On screen Displays run fast enough..

Was the question.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

Odd. Seems like that was EXACTLY the question that he just asked.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.