C4 Forums | Control4

NVR

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a NVR that has a nice camera app. something nicer looking then the HIK IVMS APP

my customers have seen app like Nest etc... i know these don't work with HIK Cameras.. but looking for something in that looking direction.

Best right now is Luma 510 series NVRs. Still a lot of features missing if compared to ring or nest.

They finally got the update out so it works on any browser (not just IE) so it now works on safari, chrome, firefox. Its about time. Awesome update.

But there are alot of drawbacks. For example - Luma systemd that costs thousands still can't simple send push notifications without using Control4 and jumping through hoops. Setting up alerts and notifications and such is way easier in nest / ring. It should be a standard by now. These cheap consumer products are even doing analytics like face detection and line crossing and you won't see those features in the pro world until you jump up to the visualint series which is so expensive it immediately won't work for 9/10 jobs.

I hate where the surveillance industry is at as a whole. We have two options and both aren't great.

1 - Professional gear with half the features. But is very reliable and great picture quality.  

2 - Consumer gear that is cheap, crappy to install, worse picture quality, monthly fees, made of plastic, no margins, can't withstand -30C temperatures ect..., But super easy to use, awesome app, tons of features and amazing price point,

It really makes me look like a dumbass when I put in a quality Luma system for several thousand dollars and someone pulls out their Ring app that can do so much more. Even something as simple as pulling your footage off sucks on Luma. You have to convert the footage to a playable file format so people can share it on facebook and stuff.

It shouldnt be so hard to just share a clip to facebook and have it play. Nearly every time my customers have a break in they call me and I have to pull the footage off. convert it, uploadto drop box for them, it sucks big time. With nest or ring pulling footage off and showing the world couldnt be any easier.

What would make me happy is if Luma added push notifications, analytics, customizable notification schedules (so you only get notifications from 11 PM to 5 AM if you want for example.) Sensitivity adjustment right there on the app, saving footage without having to convert it, all that stuff is considered standard, but really the only gear with all those features is ring/nest/alarm.com and its not standard at all. None of the big players have these features that nest/ring have at their super cheap price point.

Its getting harder and harder to justify pro surveillance in the small-to-medium sizes homes residential market when Ring and Nest are doing it better for cheaper.

(With all that being said I'm currently installing a Luma 510 DVR right now. It is a great product, but leaves lots to be desired.)

Hey Braydon. I agree with you. And is why in my own home , I have both the LUMA 510 nvr with 8 LUMA cameras and I also have 4 nest iq outdoor cameras in important locations. 

My wife will only use the Nest app and I find myself mostly Using the nest app as well. 

For me, the best part is that while watching live Nest video , you can just simply scroll through recorded video using your finger. 

Watching recorded luma video is not nearly as intuitive. 

Of course , if your taking about control4 integration , then LUMA is clearly the winner here. Displaying all cameras on my touch panels and my TVs. Automation includes live video pop ups on tv’s / touch panels when garage door opens , etc. never gonna happen with Nest. 

1 hour ago, BraydonH said:

Best right now is Luma 510 series NVRs. Still a lot of features missing if compared to ring or nest.

They finally got the update out so it works on any browser (not just IE) so it now works on safari, chrome, firefox. Its about time. Awesome update.

But there are alot of drawbacks. For example - Luma systemd that costs thousands still can't simple send push notifications without using Control4 and jumping through hoops. Setting up alerts and notifications and such is way easier in nest / ring. It should be a standard by now. These cheap consumer products are even doing analytics like face detection and line crossing and you won't see those features in the pro world until you jump up to the visualint series which is so expensive it immediately won't work for 9/10 jobs.

I hate where the surveillance industry is at as a whole. We have two options and both aren't great.

1 - Professional gear with half the features. But is very reliable and great picture quality.  

2 - Consumer gear that is cheap, crappy to install, worse picture quality, monthly fees, made of plastic, no margins, can't withstand -30C temperatures ect..., But super easy to use, awesome app, tons of features and amazing price point,

It really makes me look like a dumbass when I put in a quality Luma system for several thousand dollars and someone pulls out their Ring app that can do so much more. Even something as simple as pulling your footage off sucks on Luma. You have to convert the footage to a playable file format so people can share it on facebook and stuff.

It shouldnt be so hard to just share a clip to facebook and have it play. Nearly every time my customers have a break in they call me and I have to pull the footage off. convert it, uploadto drop box for them, it sucks big time. With nest or ring pulling footage off and showing the world couldnt be any easier.

What would make me happy is if Luma added push notifications, analytics, customizable notification schedules (so you only get notifications from 11 PM to 5 AM if you want for example.) Sensitivity adjustment right there on the app, saving footage without having to convert it, all that stuff is considered standard, but really the only gear with all those features is ring/nest/alarm.com and its not standard at all. None of the big players have these features that nest/ring have at their super cheap price point.

Its getting harder and harder to justify pro surveillance in the small-to-medium sizes homes residential market when Ring and Nest are doing it better for cheaper.

(With all that being said I'm currently installing a Luma 510 DVR right now. It is a great product, but leaves lots to be desired.)

LUMA is just rebranded hikvision hardware and software. We have both. LUMA is a big ripoff. 

14 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

LUMA is just rebranded hikvision hardware and software. We have both. LUMA is a big ripoff. 

Not quite. Yes HIK OEMs their cameras but that's not quite the same thing as rebranding.

I'm EXTREMELY impressed with these guys: http://www.uniview.com/Products/Cameras/

The app they use is easy to use, and the hardware (image) is fantastic.

Personally I have Pakedge, but I only view remotely using C4 app (live)

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Not quite. Yes HIK OEMs their cameras but that's not quite the same thing as rebranding.

I'm EXTREMELY impressed with these guys: http://www.uniview.com/Products/Cameras/

The app they use is easy to use, and the hardware (image) is fantastic.

Personally I have Pakedge, but I only view remotely using C4 app (live)

I said LUMA rebrands Hikvision. The look and feel of the software and app is exactly the same. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.