C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Remote Roadmap

Anyone have any thoughts on Control4's roadmap for its next remote.   I have been relatively happy with the SR260's form and function but now almost all of my 260's have problems with dimming screens and I'm trying to decide how to address it.   I tried the Neeo and the design form wasnt for me for a host of reasons so I quickly sold it.    Do you think we will have an SR270 in the product pipeline soon or is Control4's intention to ween everyone off the SR260 to a NEEO form and function remote and only develop new products along this design type?  Curious others thoughts  (indeed I know its speculative).

My guess is that the SR260 will be around for quite some time to come - it works, so why dump it.  However, I also don’t see an SR270 in the future (I’ll probably be proven wrong and they will launch it tomorrow 🤣). I expect to see a second generation Neeo with backlit buttons, maybe one or two button changes, and a lot more horsepower.

You asked for speculation!

32 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

My guess is that the SR260 will be around for quite some time to come - it works, so why dump it.  However, I also don’t see an SR270 in the future (I’ll probably be proven wrong and they will launch it tomorrow 🤣). I expect to see a second generation Neeo with backlit buttons, maybe one or two button changes, and a lot more horsepower.

You may be right...  I have no idea really how good the sales are with the Neeo but my guess is the SR260 is still the cash cow remote and they will always probably want a full button version to a go along with and a sleek slim touchscreen.   I was hoping they might just do some minor screen improvements (eg evolutionary tweaks) on the SR260 and at least parallel path both remotes for a long time.        

18 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

It seems to be me that SR250s have been more reliable long-term than SR260s from anecdotal evidence of the screen issues.  Too bad they can't address that problem with a hardware revision.

theres going to be a new neeo soon 

theres no backlight on the current one 

correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the original NEEO have grip sensors in them to detect who picked up the remote and showed their favourites etc, seeing something like that in the next remote would be cool 

and what would be even better is the ability to intercom from the remotes - that would be amazing!

& maybe hard transport buttons that can be configured to anything via engraving similar to what RTi do with laser shark - That would be sick 

Thanks 

M

The problem with the Neeo IMHO is the lack of hard buttons.  I definitely want hard buttons for transport, especially for Play, Pause, FF, SkipFwd, Rew, Skipback, etc.  Add the bank of transport buttons from the 250/260 and I think it would be a much better product.  I could live with soft buttons for numbers.

But price is an issue as well as the Neeo is more expensive than many SmartPhones.

1 hour ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

theres going to be a new neeo soon 

theres no backlight on the current one 

correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the original NEEO have grip sensors in them to detect who picked up the remote and showed their favourites etc, seeing something like that in the next remote would be cool 

and what would be even better is the ability to intercom from the remotes - that would be amazing!

& maybe hard transport buttons that can be configured to anything via engraving similar to what RTi do with laser shark - That would be sick 

Thanks 

M

Sick or slick?

Sick lol

It’s a British slag word for something that’s cool

Would be slick too

M

Interestingly, the OED says the origin is American slang.

I remember using it in the 80's. Had more intensity that using "sweet" or "awesome". That party was sick! Were you there when the cops showed up?

Interestingly, the OED says the origin is American slang.
I remember using it in the 80's. Had more intensity that using "sweet" or "awesome". That party was sick! Were you there when the cops showed up?

Interesting always assumed it was a British thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

Sick being considered a British thing is interesting. I've heard it in the Western U.S. and pretty sure it originated here. Like dude, gnarly, dope, and others.

Well... us South Africans will stick with expressions like “lekker” (nice), “braai” (barbecue), “Bro” (friend / mate), “gedoente” (mess) etc.  and in my view that is “slick”.

7 hours ago, zaphod said:

The problem with the Neeo IMHO is the lack of hard buttons.  I definitely want hard buttons for transport, especially for Play, Pause, FF, SkipFwd, Rew, Skipback, etc.  Add the bank of transport buttons from the 250/260 and I think it would be a much better product.  I could live with soft buttons for numbers.

But price is an issue as well as the Neeo is more expensive than many SmartPhones.

Agree,   This was the reason I sold my Neeo plus i didn't like the apple tv remote feel in the hand, plus was worried about durability like was also mentioned.  A couple of days with it and I was constantly hitting the wrong thing accidentally.  The SR260 is great remote if they would just maybe replace the screen with some updated technology.   The SR260 has a lot of strengths that C4 can build off of, unfortunately they took a completely different direction with the Neeo.   I really hope they release something soon like this vs taking a big pause after the Neeo release.

Here’s the savant remote in comparison - this is the last ten remote but it’s still a top remote. If the neeo was anything like this one then I would defiantly be buying more of them. It has backlit keys too

Thanks
M

IMG_3253.jpg

Here’s the savant remote in comparison - this is the last ten remote but it’s still a top remote. If the neeo was anything like this one then I would defiantly be buying more of them. It has backlit keys too emoji322.png

Thanks
M

IMG_3253.jpg

A few consumer focus groups might have uncovered this :)    Seriously though, not trying to be negative on the Neeo but we need some successor to the SR260 soon.   Above remote checks a lot of boxes mentioned above.

The URC 1480 remote is pretty good. We devolve control4 and URC And so far customers love the 1480 remote but want the control4 system. To bad no one has made a driver/2 way modular for the 1480 remote to work in a control4 environment. I know it sounds crazy and probably is impossible because of the hardware and software but one can dream. It has the top screen and hard buttons, you can view your camera's, change your thermostat, control all the lights, basically do everything in your URC system. Even control the 2 way modules. 02f82e1fbf194948f54998c003ce9579.jpgfcdb84fca14cff03bdcffba54159a570.jpgc74b72f12fe39008db26f0b0d663f10e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

They love the way it sits in there hands, and most of all thw screen. It's touch but they love that they can view there cameras, when music is playing it plays the Metadata, it has push button for alexa and coming out in a week or so it will have siri for apple tv. So all you have to do is hold the button down and talk

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’m old school. I kept my hard-keyed blackberry for way longer than was fashionable, resisting the iPhone or Android touch screen phones. I multitask and looking at the screen wasn’t my thing. I memorized every hard key like we all do with a remote. You cannot do that with the Neeo. I personally don’t like the Neeo’s thinness, sharp bottom edges and weighting (it almost needs a weighted center of gravity). I also despise the fact that you can’t adjust the touch screen sensitivity, there are no hard keys for transport control and the form factor list goes on. I DO like the idea of the Neeo and we know that C4 bought them and let it sit on the shelf too long. I think Snap rushed through launch. It makes good business sense, just didn’t wow me like it should have.

I feel a new iteration of the SR would sell like hotcakes. No touch, but add a full color display. It can be WiFi, but I prefer Zigbee, personally. Then keep the Neeo platform and improve it based on the feedback, but also have a lower end remote (like what C4 recently did with the new Essentials lighting).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.