C4 Forums | Control4

buying used C4-EA1 as Control 4 newbee

Hi There!

i'm want to get into Control4 (because the i want to use the NEEO remote). I never ever used it before, but i'm pretty familiar with other Systems like Crestron, KNX and other home Automation Systems... So i would say "i know what im doing".

I currently looking for a cheap controller to start with, and like to just bought a used one on ebay. But as far is i know, you cant program the system by yourself, and forced to have installer. Is that right? 

- Can i get the Composer Pro software as enduser, and do i need it? or can i do the initial setup with Composer HE?
- Can i create own devices that are not included in the library with Composer HE?
- Where can i buy the Composer HE Software? 
- Is the software a one time purchase, or subscription?
- can i install the OS3 firmware on a used EA1 Controller, or is that a upgrade that i need to buy?
- do i need anything else beside the EA1, the iPhone app, and the Composer software to get ready?

Thanks all!
Steven

38 minutes ago, stvmyr said:

- Can i get the Composer Pro software as enduser, and do i need it? or can i do the initial setup with Composer HE?
- Can i create own devices that are not included in the library with Composer HE?
- Where can i buy the Composer HE Software? 
- Is the software a one time purchase, or subscription?
- can i install the OS3 firmware on a used EA1 Controller, or is that a upgrade that i need to buy?
- do i need anything else beside the EA1, the iPhone app, and the Composer software to get ready?

No - you cannot get Composer Pro as an end-user.  Only dealers have access to Composer Pro.

No - you cannot add new devices to your system with Composer HE.  You can only add/modify programming to devices/drivers added to your system by a dealer.

You can buy HE from any C4 dealer.  There are several on this forum that can sell it to you.

HE is a one-time purchase.

A dealer can install OS3 on your controller.  There is no cost for the software, but dealers will typically charge you for the installation.

You need a dealer which you can source locally or on these forums.

thanks for the reply!

so basically, Control 4 is a system thats not for use by "home professionals"?
I would never ever install a system in my house that needs an external dealer for configuration. 

i really want to use the NEEO remote. But thats a no go for me. 

So you also know Crestron is not "Home Professional" friendly.

You'll need an EA1 and a Neo.

You'll need a dealer to do some initial programming. If you but the EA1 or Neo from them they should be amenable.

Or buy both on eBay and you will need a remote dealer. Find one here or on eBay to teamviewer to your home and set it up.

They could likely sell you HE. One time fee and that allows lots of the functionality.

They can also change devices.

Lots of programming can be done by you but you cannot add devices.

6 hours ago, stvmyr said:

thanks for the reply!

so basically, Control 4 is a system thats not for use by "home professionals"?
I would never ever install a system in my house that needs an external dealer for configuration. 

i really want to use the NEEO remote. But thats a no go for me. 

So, if you are willing to accept a compromise then you can still get your Neeo. What people aren't mentioning is that its possible to do this yourself, but honestly its not done 99.99% of the time for some very good reasons. To do it yourself take some effort and learning and for most people its really not worth the effort and long term care and feeding.

If you just want to set up a Neeo and an EA# and you don't have a lot of stuff to control a remote dealer can get you configured for a reasonable amount. Once you have it set up there are ways to tweak it yourself if you truly needed to, but for the most part once things are set up they don't need a lot of work.

So you pay between 500 and 1k for the hardware and another couple of hundred to get it set up by a remote dealer quickly.  Big deal. You just saved a weekend of messing around with a new complex system just to operate a media room.

Believe me. I get where you are coming from. I have 3 different platforms for home control and they each have their own level of efforts and trade offs. I'm not a dealer. Maybe I'm one of those home professionals that msgreenf thinks arent a thing.

Look, if you want a remote like a Neeo your options are very limited. Keep an eye on the end result.

I'm saying it's not a thing because to be a Control4 pro you have to pass a training class of which home owners can't take.

It's like the ability fix your car doesn't make you a professional. But you can be very good at it!

With that said, I believe anyone can learn and be knowledgeable.

10 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

No - you cannot get Composer Pro as an end-user.  Only dealers have access to Composer Pro.

No - you cannot add new devices to your system with Composer HE.  You can only add/modify programming to devices/drivers added to your system by a dealer.

You can buy HE from any C4 dealer.  There are several on this forum that can sell it to you.

HE is a one-time purchase.

A dealer can install OS3 on your controller.  There is no cost for the software, but dealers will typically charge you for the installation.

You need a dealer which you can source locally or on these forums.

https://malloris.com/?product=neeo-smart-home-control-combo?utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=112267&gclid=CjwKCAjwlZf3BRABEiwA8Q0qq-pwY86wwkTLnG5Bv8THnC1G0l5kOb_D1q_ClQumokLKJ5C-XAav5BoCQlUQAvD_BwE

Why not try a legacy NEEO instead?

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I'm saying it's not a thing because to be a Control4 pro you have to pass a training class of which home owners can't take.

It's like the ability fix your car doesn't make you a professional. But you can be very good at it!

With that said, I believe anyone can learn and be knowledgeable.

Ok. You are playing semantics. You are saying "professional" in this case is someone that has had C4 training, has some paper certificate and works for a dealer as an employee.  I'm guessing you tick at least one of those boxes.

Its a common thread here for the dealers to throw mud and make fun of people that are new, confused or maybe have wishful thoughts about doing their own programming. It's obviously insulting to those capable of doing it. You miss an opportunity to make a client when this happens. Instead of being terse and insulting you can probably say something like "Unfortunately, most of the work uses a dealer model. I'm happy to help you get your system set up and show you how you can customize and improve the parts of the system that customers can change. It doesn't have to cost a lot and I think you will find you don't need a lot of dealer involvement in a basic setup. I can help. I've helped a number of people that want C4, but are uncomfortable with the dealer model"

Unless the OP has a lot of time on his or her hands, the most expeditious way to get the system up and running and learn in the process is to pay a dealer for some basic setup. If the OP is as familiar with home automation as claimed, then OP should be away to the races. We have done this numerous times with tech savvy clients.

As one of those non-existent 'home professionals' 😁 I can second what several here have suggested. If you really like the DIY approach, find a remote dealer here that will sell you the hardware and HE, spend a few dollars to have them do what only a dealer can do, and apply your skills to learning how to configure the hardware and learn HE. That'll be more than enough to give your DIY skills a good workout. 😉

On 6/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, Elvis said:

What's this legacy NEEO all about? Looks pretty sweet. How does it work compared to a SR260 remote. Where can I learn more about this NEEO remote in a C4 system?

6 minutes ago, elee532 said:

What's this legacy NEEO all about? Looks pretty sweet. How does it work compared to a SR260 remote. Where can I learn more about this NEEO remote in a C4 system?

If you want a NEEO remote and want it in your C4 system, you want the new one. 

22 minutes ago, elee532 said:

Wow. I do want one now. 😋

It's getting better. It's not just eye-candy, the screen is really functional. Having a high resolution touchscreen should give them a lot of ability to add features and upgrades without hardware changes. For the MSRP of $600, it has got to last a very long time.

1 minute ago, Elvis said:

It's getting better. It's not just eye-candy, the screen is really functional. Having a high resolution touchscreen should give them a lot of ability to add features and upgrades without hardware changes. For the MSRP of $600, it has got to last a very long time.

You're not helping me resist the temptation! LOL! 😋

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.