C4 Forums | Control4

Blinds with WakeUp

I'm looking for some advice on how to configure wake up alarms.

I currently have it set up that when the wake up alarm is triggered, if sunrise has taken place the blinds open. If sunrise has not happened there is a delay of 20 minutes before the blinds then open.

What I would really like to do is have it set so the blinds open when sunrise takes place. This is how I'm thinking about it:

If sunrise is true --> all blinds open

If sunrise is false --> activate lighting scene, when sunrise becomes true --> all blinds open

Is anyone able to share ideas on how I might do this?

I did think of using the scheduler but I don't want the blinds opening at sunrise unless the alarm has gone off.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you could achieve this as follows.

First, define a boolean variable called, e.g., "SunriseBlinds"

Next, define a scheduler event executing at midnight that sets SunriseBlinds equal to zero.

Third, I would execute the following code in your wakeup alarm:

1. If sunrise is true, then open blinds;

2. If sunrise is false, then set the value of SunriseBlinds equal to one.

Finally, set up a scheduler event that executes at Sunrise.  In this event, run the statement, "If SunriseBlinds=1, then open blinds."

33 minutes ago, DLite said:

If I'm understanding you correctly, you could achieve this as follows.

First, define a boolean variable called, e.g., "SunriseBlinds"

Next, define a scheduler event executing at midnight that sets SunriseBlinds equal to zero.

Third, I would execute the following code in your wakeup alarm:

1. If sunrise is true, then open blinds;

2. If sunrise is false, then set the value of SunriseBlinds equal to one.

Finally, set up a scheduler event that executes at Sunrise.  In this event, run the statement, "If SunriseBlinds=1, then open blinds."

This sounds like it would work, however I thought a boolean only allowed a true or false so how would you set a value? Am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, zaphod said:

One useful tip I learned on here is to create a variable called IsDark.  This gets set to True on Sunset and False on Sunrise.  You can then use this to program around lighting, blinds, etc

Why not simply use the native scheduler condition, “if nighttime then...”?

I use “if nighttime then” and have also used your method to create a variable called extended-nighttime which is set to true an hour before sunset and false an hour after sunrise and use “if extended-nighttime” even more than I use “if nighttime”.

1 hour ago, J to the D said:

This sounds like it would work, however I thought a boolean only allowed a true or false so how would you set a value? Am I missing something?

Sorry for the lack of clarity.  I assume 1=True and 0=False.

4 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

It (and other useful conditionals) is (are) available by clicking on the schedule item under actions in programming.

Got it, thanks.  So it looks like Day time and Night time are the two that exist.  And then you can program around Sunrise and Sunset for time.  Then there are othe similar concepts when it comes to Day, Date, Month, etc.

Don't even need a variable. Use ? If daytime open and else start a 20 min timer. only Else is that it's night time. For C4 daytime is sunrise to sunset and nighttime is sunset to sunrise. I would create a 20 min timer that will open blinds when it stops. Then programming would look like this. 

When alarm executes

? If daytime

open blinds

Else

Start morning blinds timer

6 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Don't even need a variable. Use ? If daytime open and else start a 20 min timer. only Else is that it's night time. For C4 daytime is sunrise to sunset and nighttime is sunset to sunrise. I would create a 20 min timer that will open blinds when it stops. Then programming would look like this. 

When alarm executes

? If daytime

open blinds

Else

Start morning blinds timer

I had a timer originally but it didn't work very well because the curtains would sometimes open in complete darkness as we are getting into winter. This way the blinds will only open when sunrise has taken place.

9 hours ago, J to the D said:

I had a timer originally but it didn't work very well because the curtains would sometimes open in complete darkness as we are getting into winter. This way the blinds will only open when sunrise has taken place.

So instead of Else start morning blinds timer why not add a scheduler for sunrise daily to open blinds if alarm has executed? That could be created w a variable when alarm executes set to true at midnight every night set to false like was mentioned previously.

When alarm executes
  ? If daytime
     Open blinds

On scheduler Agent set to Sunrise daily then programming add
? If alarm variable is true 

Open blinds

7 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

So instead of Else start morning blinds timer why not add a scheduler for sunrise daily to open blinds if alarm has executed? That could be created w a variable when alarm executes set to true at midnight every night set to false like was mentioned previously.

When alarm executes
  ? If daytime
     Open blinds

On scheduler Agent set to Sunrise daily then programming add
? If alarm variable is true 

Open blinds

Yes, this is what I have done which seems to be working very well. 

2 hours ago, malelan said:

i don't want to hijack this, but is there a way to set blinds with lighting scenes? or any type of scene?  in situations where you have multiple blinds and you want them to open and close in sync?

Sure create advanced lighting seen then program when that scene is either active or invoked to open/close shades. 

2 hours ago, malelan said:

i don't want to hijack this, but is there a way to set blinds with lighting scenes? or any type of scene?  in situations where you have multiple blinds and you want them to open and close in sync?

There's a Blind Group driver for this very purpose. General C4 driver than can combine most if not all blinds into groups for single control.

Note that 'sync' is dependent on the drivers and devices themselves, the driver just gives singular control, but cannot control exact sync timing due to different response times etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.