C4 Forums | Control4

Public IP address

Is there any way (driver?) that can identify the public IP address of my network.  I was thinking of emailing this to myself every time it changes on my holiday home so that I can change my VPN settings.  

I realise that DDNS would allow me to achieve the same results with a small fee, so this is more of an “interesting challenge” than a “must have”!

4 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Is there any way (driver?) that can identify the public IP address of my network.  I was thinking of emailing this to myself every time it changes on my holiday home so that I can change my VPN settings.  

I realise that DDNS would allow me to achieve the same results with a small fee, so this is more of an “interesting challenge” than a “must have”!

Fingbox can update you on an IP change. 

4 hours ago, C4 User said:

If would be nice if C4 would show the public IP when logging in remotely through the app. A new request.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the suggestions. @C4 User- I really like this suggestion 😀

Suspect that I will be forced to go the DDNS route which is what I did at my primary residence anyway.

31 minutes ago, C4 User said:

Because they already have the information and it would be EASY to show it. Even if only for 0.00000001% of us - who by the way are likely C4’s bigger individual customers.

everything you show in the UI has the opportunity to confuse someone and make them call support.  Everything that is shown must add value IMHO

Should be pretty easy to do with a simple driver.  This linux code will do the trick, assuming the C4 controllers have wget

"wget -q -O - "http://myexternalip.com/raw""

or you can use curl

"curl "http://myexternalip.com/raw""

I am sure that there are easy ways to do that command read the output in Lua.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.