C4 Forums | Control4

Sense Energy Monitor now integrated with Control4!

Cinegration has been working with many energy manufactures over the years and we're proud to release the newest driver.

The Sense Energy Monitor Control4 Driver

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/sense/

Monitor power consumption and solar production, get personalized alerts from your Control4 smart home, and view your energy directly from the Control4 interface. 

Installation is simple, and you'll love the beautiful, customized dashboard and smart home alerts. The Sense Energy Monitor uses AI to learn the energy devices, allowing customers and dealers to know what’s powered on in the home. With the Cindev Sense Energy Monitor driver, you’ll be able to use that intelligence to control technology integrated into the Control4 smart home.

The Hardware

Sense helps homeowners understand their home's energy, and get a view into their home they can’t get anywhere else….even when appliances and devices aren’t connected to the network.  To get Sense devices, Control4 dealers can sign up for the Sense Pro reseller program, which offers the following:
  • reseller discounts on Sense and Sense Solar
  • access to the Sense Pro version of the monitor, which includes an ethernet port as an alternative to Wi-fi connect
  • access to other Sense Pro tools such as the Sense Pro installer app for easy installation, and fleet manager for remote status monitoring and reporting on Sense monitors you install
  • Installer training and phone support for installations

1461873040_download(1).png.cf48d4c6a6657c8f209c633923fc8c45.png

To Purchase or Learn more about Sense Visit: https://www.sense.com
image.png.26a3e68aa5dbc70c56b8574c85503178.png

Control4 Integration
- Get Real time consumption, production and use data as variables and event triggers
- Supports Control4 2.9.1, 2.10.6, 3.x+
- ComposerHome integration including Event and Variable programming
- Special High Energy mode for Peak demand customers
- Official Integration between Sense and Control4 supported through this driver
- Device On/Off events
- Secure.  The Control4 Driver does not store your password or require your Control4 dealer to login for you in the driver.

Use Examples:
- Lower/Turn off High power loads during Peak Demand times
- Set AC to run Fan only if energy is above 10,000W (Peak Demand)
- Get a notification if the garage freezer has not turned on in 24 hours
- Alert house that the dryer is done

The UI:
  We worked closely with Sense to give homeowners a beautiful dashboard on the Control4 touch screens!  Here are some screenshots of the UI experience using a Control4 T3 or T4 touchscreen:

sense_Now.png

sense_Solar.png

sense_Trends.png

Energy Automation and how it integrates into the smart home is the next revolution in IoT.  The Sense Energy Monitor and Control4 allow your home to meet this demand and keep your home staying smart for years to come!  Check it out!

Here at Cindev we work hard to give customers the best smart home experience around.  Check us out at: https://www.cindev.com/

1 hour ago, Amr said:

This is great news 😃 I like sense however they support only 2 lines! My house runs 3 lines + Neutral so no way for me to use sense unfortunately.

So our office is 3 phase as well and we were able to install it.  We have it monitoring two of the phases like mentioned here:  https://help.sense.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043157054-Learn-more-Three-phase-installation. While not the best solution I agree this might be a solution that works?

8 minutes ago, Cinegration said:

Mine is gas. it still uses electrical to spin the drum and the sense was able to detect it ;)

Can sense detect a gas range being on?  When my gas range is on there are blue LEDs that light up above the specific knob.  When oven is on LED panel had the temperature listed.  

Just now, eggzlot said:

Can sense detect a gas range being on?  When my gas range is on there are blue LEDs that light up above the specific knob.  When oven is on LED panel had the temperature listed.  

I’m not sure.  It’s machine learning so... maybe?  Either way just having precise electrical monitoring has been a great asset to our smart homes :)

Just now, Cinegration said:

I’m not sure.  It’s machine learning so... maybe?  Either way just having precise electrical monitoring has been a great asset to our smart homes :)

I agree

i am just a little ocd and knowing my oven is off would be amazing.  When I press goodnight would be great to get a notice of oven was on, same when setting the alarm, etc  

I’ve looked at gas monitoring and never found a residential option

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

I agree

i am just a little ocd and knowing my oven is off would be amazing.  When I press goodnight would be great to get a notice of oven was on, same when setting the alarm, etc  

Yeah I believe Chowmain has a gas monitor solution but I’ve not used it :(

20 hours ago, eggzlot said:

20 hours ago, Cinegration said:

20 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I agree

I would imagine it would be a challenge to hear the current draw of a few LEDs through the noise of everything else in the home. 

I'm finding it hard enough to train Moen Flo that my water ph balancer is cleaning / backflowing 80 gallons every 3rd day and this is not a flood event.  I can't put that in a Moen Flo ignore rule because it is not on every Wednesday or something but every 3rd day.

Wouldn't it be easier to put a heat sensor in the stove extractor or the oven heat vent or somewhere that would notify the oven was on.

From their website

Low-wattage consumer electronics like computers, smart devices, and game consoles can be especially tough to track. As we get data from more and more homes, the performance and coverage of our device detection will improve. In the meantime, many of our users have had great success tracking these more challenging loads via our smart plug integration. Learn more about the machine learning technology that undergirds Sense here.

Also didn't Sense just get aquired, is there a commitment that this support will persist post aquisition?

On 1/23/2021 at 3:32 AM, Cinegration said:

So our office is 3 phase as well and we were able to install it.  We have it monitoring two of the phases like mentioned here:  https://help.sense.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043157054-Learn-more-Three-phase-installation. While not the best solution I agree this might be a solution that works?

Well, as you said this leave one line that is totally unmonitored which is really a gap, I wish they can make 3 phase, why they insist on not making one beats the hell out of me!

I’m currently using Efergy Engage, its 3 phase, while their app is awful and the interface is really rubbish but it gives me what I need to monitor, my daily consumption.

I also have Emporia Energy 3 phase solution but did not installed yet, I have it for over a year now without installing it!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Topfox said:

Does it actually show data in the phone app too or just C4 tablets. 

Control4 does not have a proxy or software that supports iPhone/android viewing of data from drivers.  If it did we would :)  

also, if you’re on your phone just use the sense app

9 hours ago, Cinegration said:

Control4 does not have a proxy or software that supports iPhone/android viewing of data from drivers.  If it did we would :)  

also, if you’re on your phone just use the sense app

Thanks. Yeah I unfortunately use IPads as my controllers around the house vs the official C4 tablets. Definitely understand I can just use the Sense app, but I do like everything being consolidated into a single experience. Otherwise I’m opening multiple apps to access my stuff, which is one of the reasons I went with C4 vs having things spread out all over the place with different experiences. Sacrifices I guess for not going with the C4 tablets. Thanks for the response!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I am not sure how do to this - in Home Composer I tried to "Reconnect to Sense" and then "REset Account Connection" and now in the Lua output when  check status it says "Setup OAuth to Continue".  What do I do next, or do I need my dealer to do something?

To begin the reauthentication, log into ComposerPro, find your Sense driver and under Driver Actions select Reset Account Connection. You will see a short message in the Driver Status asking you to select the field again (to prevent accidental resets). Once selected again the driver will reset its OAuth information stored in the driver and it will display a field to reenter the email address to begin authentication anew.

From there you can follow the same steps as were followed during the initial installation:

Enter email address

This does not need to be the email address of the account. This email address will receive an authentication email which in turn will send you to the page where the actual Sense account information will be inputted.

Customer will need to click activation link provided in email

Once account has been validated, driver is set up and ready to use!

Refresh Navigators

That is all! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.