C4 Forums | Control4

Doorbird - Its offical

JSTRONG

1 hour ago, BraydonH said:

I seen that cinegration made a driver and released it on driver central but I had no idea it was FREE.

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/camera-intercom/doorbirdmanufacture/

This is great news! Better late than never, but this would have been a godsend before c4 released the chime.

They did, and it's the same driver, but Doorbird bought out the licensing, and it's now also in the standard database (similar to Cinegration's Hunter Douglas driver Powerview driver)

1 hour ago, wnpublic said:

Cool. Is there a door bird that is closer than chime to a drop in replacement for the ds2?  I’d ditch the ds2 in a heartbeat if it wasn’t going to leave a big hole in the wall....

this should cover it nicely:

https://www.amazon.ca/DoorBird-Station-Surface-Mount-Stainless-Surface-mounting/dp/B08KRPYWWD/ref=asc_df_B08KRPYWWD/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459391075868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3792047361054911230&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061282&hvtargid=pla-1019782320466&psc=1

😇

2 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Cool. Is there a door bird that is closer than chime to a drop in replacement for the ds2?  I’d ditch the ds2 in a heartbeat if it wasn’t going to leave a big hole in the wall....

what is your budget?  these 200 series and 400 series models may work - the 400 series model was super close to the size of the DS1.  I had a DS1 and I removed it for a 400 series from Holovision and I just had to make the cutout a drop larger for the slightly larger back box.  They aren't cheap though that's for sure.  You are paying a premium for tons of metal options and a "fancier" face plate over doorbird guts if you will

https://www.eholovision.com/solutions/doorbird-solutions/

46 minutes ago, ClassicMuscle said:

What is official?  We are currently deciding between the C4 DS2 and Doorbird for our house.  What changed that makes Door Bird more attractive?  Why is the DS2 bad?  

The ds2 camera is abysmally bad, especially in any direct light situation. Having lived with it for three plus years, I can also tell you that no one can figure out what actually rings the doorbell...

5 hours ago, ClassicMuscle said:

What is official?  We are currently deciding between the C4 DS2 and Doorbird for our house.  What changed that makes Door Bird more attractive?  Why is the DS2 bad?  

The driver is now certified by Control4 and is available via the Control4 driver database directly.  It’s also now doesn’t cost anything for the driver. :)  

On 2/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, wnpublic said:

The ds2 camera is abysmally bad, especially in any direct light situation. Having lived with it for three plus years, I can also tell you that no one can figure out what actually rings the doorbell...

No worse than the doorbird - and I seem to know what rings my doorbell - I get a picture notification every time. That seems to be an issue in your setup, not the DS2 itself.

13 hours ago, Cyknight said:

No worse than the doorbird - and I seem to know what rings my doorbell - I get a picture notification every time. That seems to be an issue in your setup, not the DS2 itself.

You misunderstand in your eagerness to push back.  Visitors cannot seem to figure out which button is the doorbell on the thing.

not defending C4 - had the Ds1 was awful and I skipped over the DS2 for other hardware from another manufacture.  that said the image may be acceptable depending on the stated resolution of the camera, the lighting involved, your network settings, etc.  Yes the lens is super important but there are factors further down the chain that are out of the control of the C4 hardware like compression, lighting, etc.  

25 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

not defending C4 - had the Ds1 was awful and I skipped over the DS2 for other hardware from another manufacture.  that said the image may be acceptable depending on the stated resolution of the camera, the lighting involved, your network settings, etc.  Yes the lens is super important but there are factors further down the chain that are out of the control of the C4 hardware like compression, lighting, etc.  

Yep.  The specific thing going on here is that the porch is covered and so there is a lot of shadow, but also a lot of direct sunlight just past it.  So the DS2 camera is not great at dealing with that. 

But here's the thing: I have the same setup at another house - covered porch, bright sunlight with lots of contrast.  And a Ring camera at 1/5 the price that you can buy at Best Buy handles the contrast just fine:

IMG_0301.jpg

1 hour ago, wnpublic said:

Yep.  The specific thing going on here is that the porch is covered and so there is a lot of shadow, but also a lot of direct sunlight just past it.  So the DS2 camera is not great at dealing with that. 

But here's the thing: I have the same setup at another house - covered porch, bright sunlight with lots of contrast.  And a Ring camera at 1/5 the price that you can buy at Best Buy handles the contrast just fine:

IMG_0301.jpg

again ring may be better.  but c4 can look at an image and say its fine because based on the lens it is fine.  you may not like said lens and its output but that doesn't mean its broken and not working properly.  given someone called c4 support I am assuming they thought something was "broken".   its just not a quality camera.  Though I see the DS2 was at least discussed at ISE in 2016.  So its 5 years old and its also a rebranded 2n Device so it could be even older.  So its hard to compare it to a more modern Ring regardless of cost.  Technology changes in 5 years fairly rapidly - hence look at the Chime.  better camera than the DS2 and also half the price (or something close to that).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.