C4 Forums | Control4

Do you have any experience with the new Shelly wall dimmer?
We use the TPLink periodically for garages when we have WiFi without Zigbee, and wondering if we should switch to the Shelly, as they have a wider assortment of widgets and we could stay in one sub-vendor?

5 hours ago, RAV said:

Do you have any experience with the new Shelly wall dimmer?
We use the TPLink periodically for garages when we have WiFi without Zigbee, and wondering if we should switch to the Shelly, as they have a wider assortment of widgets and we could stay in one sub-vendor?

The Shelly guys gave us some new devices at CEDIA (dimmer included).  We have implemented support for the device in the beta version of the driver.

• 1 month later...

I think there was mention up-thread of support for the new Shelly Motion 2.  Is that in the current (released) version of the driver?  I'm looking to get a couple of these sensors.  I have some use cases for the brightness intensity sensor, so I'm hoping that that value is accessible in programing.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2022 at 7:28 PM, cnicholson said:

I think there was mention up-thread of support for the new Shelly Motion 2.  Is that in the current (released) version of the driver?  I'm looking to get a couple of these sensors.  I have some use cases for the brightness intensity sensor, so I'm hoping that that value is accessible in programing.

Thanks.

+1. Just ordered a Motion 2 to test responsiveness and am curious whether it's supported in the current production version. 

G'day, just realised I may not have responded. Shelly Motion 2 is definitely supported (it's very similar to the Motion 1, but they seemed to have made some changes internally).

One thing people have noticed (including myself) is that a battery life seems a bit more limited than expected, and not sure yet why (I am looking at ways of addressing this though)

Andy

On 1/6/2023 at 9:56 PM, Andrew luecke said:

G'day, just realised I may not have responded. Shelly Motion 2 is definitely supported (it's very similar to the Motion 1, but they seemed to have made some changes internally).

One thing people have noticed (including myself) is that a battery life seems a bit more limited than expected, and not sure yet why (I am looking at ways of addressing this though)

Andy

Appreciate the confirmation. Testing my Motion 2 with the demo version of your driver now. So far so good!

I see from other threads that you use the Motion 2 in your own home - are you using the default sensor settings, or are there any tweaks you would suggest making (e.g., to blind time, consecutive movements, motion detection threshold, etc.)?

23 hours ago, milehighguy said:

Appreciate the confirmation. Testing my Motion 2 with the demo version of your driver now. So far so good!

I see from other threads that you use the Motion 2 in your own home - are you using the default sensor settings, or are there any tweaks you would suggest making (e.g., to blind time, consecutive movements, motion detection threshold, etc.)?

You would probably need to tweak those to your own usage. In my house I didn't really touch much (other than the Blind time I think), but I probably haven't got the optimal setting anyway.

G'day all,

Those who were having issues with Shelly crashing, be aware that we finally found the fault, and it has been applied to 20230111 which was released yesterday. It only affected systems with  2nd Generation modules (Shelly NG / Plus modules / Pro PM), and only seemed to affect OS 3.2 and below, and only in some cases (OS3.3 was NOT affected ).

The issue occurred because the new 2nd gen sleepy modules (mainly H&T Plus) need a callback port, and the code required to create the ports in some circumstances didn't confirm correctly the ports were open (so kept trying). Unfortunately, it took us a while to hunt this one down (and it required a few code audits which caught it eventually), as we needed a way to replicate it, and to isolate exactly which driver was causing the issue (as the Shelly driver package is fairly large)

If there are any further issues, please feel free to let me know.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 3:58 PM, Andrew luecke said:

G'day all,

Those who were having issues with Shelly crashing, be aware that we finally found the fault, and it has been applied to 20230111 which was released yesterday. It only affected systems with  2nd Generation modules (Shelly NG / Plus modules / Pro PM), and only seemed to affect OS 3.2 and below, and only in some cases (OS3.3 was NOT affected ).

The issue occurred because the new 2nd gen sleepy modules (mainly H&T Plus) need a callback port, and the code required to create the ports in some circumstances didn't confirm correctly the ports were open (so kept trying). Unfortunately, it took us a while to hunt this one down (and it required a few code audits which caught it eventually), as we needed a way to replicate it, and to isolate exactly which driver was causing the issue (as the Shelly driver package is fairly large)

If there are any further issues, please feel free to let me know.

Andy

Hey Andy -- would this be related to an issue (in my case) where the devices lose their connections following a controller reboot/whole system power cycle? It's weird, because they're still on the network/accessible (via browser for example), but I have to delete and renter the IP to resolve. (Even weirder, I have the same issue sometimes with my Chowmain Hikvision driver, so wondering if something in my network doesn't like an implementation technique ya'll use). TIA for any thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 6:18 PM, booch said:

Hey Andy -- would this be related to an issue (in my case) where the devices lose their connections following a controller reboot/whole system power cycle? It's weird, because they're still on the network/accessible (via browser for example), but I have to delete and renter the IP to resolve. (Even weirder, I have the same issue sometimes with my Chowmain Hikvision driver, so wondering if something in my network doesn't like an implementation technique ya'll use). TIA for any thoughts.

Hey.. Sorry, just saw this.

Have you reported the hikvision issue to Justin? The comms code is completely different between hik and Shelly actually. For this fault, it was a case of not kickstarting the timer which initiates the connection in some circumstances (but didn't seem to affect everyone)

Andy

Just letting you guys know, whilst many installers have had access to the code for a while now, we've released an update yesterday which:

1. Fixes reboot loops on some Gen 2 devices (Plus / Pro PM modules, but only some) where we changed one of the parameters, and the unit would believe it needed a reboot incorrectly.

2. An optimisation to the HTTP calls which eliminated 1-roundtrip on Gen 1 modules. This should marginally reduce controller load, and improve latency of commands (it would mostly be noticeable on a high-latency connection, such as some mesh wifi, however, might not be noticeable as much on better ones).

On 2/21/2023 at 4:18 PM, Andrew luecke said:

Hey.. Sorry, just saw this.

Have you reported the hikvision issue to Justin? The comms code is completely different between hik and Shelly actually. For this fault, it was a case of not kickstarting the timer which initiates the connection in some circumstances (but didn't seem to affect everyone)

Andy

Thanks for the reply, Andy.

No, haven't reported HIK issue but will figure out how to do that.

The updated Shelly drivers are working though -- no more manual tinkering after reboots -- thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Kaas Mayer said:

installed two days ago the newer shelly 2pm. its not on the "What hardware will this work on" List, but it works without any problems with the NG driver. 

G'day, apologies, it might be one I missed on the list and I apologise.

In practice, all Shelly hardware should work though.

We only have 1 outstanding bug with hardware (and thats a bug affecting some people with temperature on the new Shelly Plus addon. It will be fixed shortly though. No reports of issues with the rest of the Shelly Plus addon though. That being said, very few people are likely to use the Shelly Plus addon at all)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Since the update from the Shelly driver yesterday, the switches / plugs lets Control4 EA3 crash completely.
The same plug, in another EA3 controller (added later, but same IP to test), works fine.
Also, I see the plug going on/off on the crashing EA3 if I turn it on through Composer on the non-problem EA3. As soon as I do an input in the problem-EA3, that EA3 crashes completely.

On the working EA3, it keeps working and I can use the plug as usually.
It looks like there's something wrong with the input.

The factory image is loaded (so the "factory reset"is done), the problem persists.
Any ideas?

51 minutes ago, Cor said:

Hi all,

Since the update from the Shelly driver yesterday, the switches / plugs lets Control4 EA3 crash completely.
The same plug, in another EA3 controller (added later, but same IP to test), works fine.
Also, I see the plug going on/off on the crashing EA3 if I turn it on through Composer on the non-problem EA3. As soon as I do an input in the problem-EA3, that EA3 crashes completely.

The factory image is loaded (so the "factory reset"is done), the problem persists.
Any ideas?

Am not sure how that is the issue of the driver if another controller works fine then it’s the controller issue? My 2 cents!

2 hours ago, Cor said:

Hi all,

Any ideas?

G'day. This issue is already fixed internally and 20230502 is being deployed within 3-4 hours with the fix. It affects some Shelly v2 drivers specifically when they are connected to a relay connection.

If you have auto update enabled, it should upgrade your drivers to 20230502 automatically

Also, as a side note, we did a lot of internal optimisation on the elk driver, and I've included some of the optimisations in the upcoming Shelly driver being released today. Although, in this case, the impact likely won't be as big as the elk driver (but some slower controllers in particular with lots of Shelly drivers might notice a small difference or controllers which are overloaded)

7 hours ago, Cor said:

Hi all,

Any ideas?

G'day, 

This fix is now online.. Sorry for the delay

• 8 months later...

@Andrew luecke I have a bunch of 2.5 devices and am considering more. They aren't currently controlled by C4. I'm curious about how the underlying communication with this driver to the devices and what sort of resource or performance considerations there might be. I wonder If I predict the scaling needs. I'm deploying a Core3 where I might be on the top end of a Core3 vs a Core5 so I guess I'm thinking about how certain drivers may impact my reserve capacity on the Core3. I'm interested in the driver based on the specs and trying to get a good understanding if I can leverage Shelly devices without concern.

Thanks for your time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.