C4 Forums | Control4

Control4/Alexa Music Integration

Not to beat a dead horse as I know this has been discussed multiple times, I’m back to the idea of having my Alexa play music in each zone when asked. Over the years, as newer devices come out and upgrading to newer ones, I now have an Echo Show in every room/zone. Being that today is Prime Day, which is when all of Amazon’s devices are at least half price, I want to buy some Echo Spots for my racks so when in any zone, anyone can tell Alexa to play whatever they want and have the music play through the in-ceiling speakers vs through the speakers in the Echo Show in each zone. Is it possible to buy one for each zone, give it the name of the zone, and ir provide the music stream to each zone or is only one Dot necessary with a lot of programming done?  I’d also like for lossless audio to be supported, so would a Dot support this or would another piece of equipment be needed instead?

I’m hoping to finally get this done and put it to rest. I saw a video, which I think was on Control4’s website demonstrating this being done in a smart spec home, and I think the guy said they had a Dot connected directly to the speakers in the room but nothing was visible. Since the Dot was connected to the speakers in that zone, it was the only Dot that could hear the commands and having to say the name of the zone where you wanted the music to play was unnecessary.

What’s the best option to set this up today, since I know some things have progressed since I last looked into it? Thank you!

Audio triggering will work but then Alexa will steal the input whenever it is activated - although you may be able to program around that.

Have an Alexa for each zone and then have it programmed to switch the input for the room when it senses audio on that zone.

3 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

To be fair, the integration and setup is still a pain in the ass.

You'd be better off tossing the Amazon stuff and going with Josh.ai.

I’ve actually been looking into this as my dealer now works with Josh.ai.

One more thing, after running device discovery on Alexa, each zone is setup as a device, which uses a TV icon making it even more confusing when settings things up. When enabling/disabling/renaming devices on the Control4 website for Alexa integration after running discovery, they’re all clearly listed individually under rooms. Any idea what the purpose of this is, and if they can be disabled? If I’m creating groups within each zone, it normally causes a conflict because the name of the zone is usually the same name given to the Alexa device within that zone. Unless the Control4/Alexa website was reconfigured to list each zone and then list each device within that zone (similar to the System Design layout in Composer), which would then allow you to name 2 devices the same name (I.e. lights) as long as they were in separate zones, I don’t understand the point of have a zone configured as a device in Alexa. Since each device has to be setup with a unique name which normally includes which room it’s in, what’s the point of having the individual rooms configured as devices?

36 minutes ago, jfh said:

I’d be curious to her about real life use of the Echo Link in a C4 system.  Reading the product reviews, it seems to over promise snd under deliver on functionality.

what do you mean by functionality?  in this case it's really not doing much....

• 2 years later...
33 minutes ago, Brusanity said:

Would you happen to know if the Echo link makes the process simple enough? My dealer doesn't seem to know how it should work so I'm kinda on my own here..

yeah, you put the echo link to an input on your amp and use auto sense to power on a zone

For whatever it is worth, the easiest (but not cheapest) way to get C4 working with Alexa is via a WiiM mini. Since it's Alexa compatible, it can be used as an output device (over wifi). the WiiM just connect in the rack to the audio channels via a splitter so that it's triggered when Alexa speaks or plays music. 

I have it running with both Alexa Dots and the Flex (the wall outlet), works perfectly.

5 hours ago, crash1977mtl said:

For whatever it is worth, the easiest (but not cheapest) way to get C4 working with Alexa is via a WiiM mini. Since it's Alexa compatible, it can be used as an output device (over wifi). the WiiM just connect in the rack to the audio channels via a splitter so that it's triggered when Alexa speaks or plays music. 

I have it running with both Alexa Dots and the Flex (the wall outlet), works perfectly.

Are you using the mini or the pro version of WiiM., can you explain how is your connection set up between WiiM mini and the audio matrix ,I am  little confused about connection to the audio channels via splitter ?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

You have it working correctly?  I can't get it to work with C4 correctly.  It is recognized as an Alexa speaker, and it turns on, but I can't get it to auto select the room or the source.  I have this Linkplay driver https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/audio-video/linkplay-technology/

The driver never triggers anything for me.  How did you get it to work?

I use both the WiiM mini and WiiM pro. The way I handle it with in ceiling speakers is I have one WiiM for each audio zone that has ceiling speakers. 

this way in each room you can ask Alexa to play music and will go only on that zone

hardware wise all you need is a Y splitter. Each room currently has a Left/Right audio cable going into the amp from the matrix. I bought a Y splitter that allows both the matrix and WiiM to plug into the amp.

the downside is technically both sources can step on each other but in reality this never happens.

On 1/12/2024 at 9:42 PM, crash1977mtl said:

I use both the WiiM mini and WiiM pro. The way I handle it with in ceiling speakers is I have one WiiM for each audio zone that has ceiling speakers. 

this way in each room you can ask Alexa to play music and will go only on that zone

hardware wise all you need is a Y splitter. Each room currently has a Left/Right audio cable going into the amp from the matrix. I bought a Y splitter that allows both the matrix and WiiM to plug into the amp.

the downside is technically both sources can step on each other but in reality this never happens.

Is there native C4 control over the Wiim devices via a driver?

@neil12011 That's the driver.  Right now it's got some bugs.  Won't correctly detect when it's streaming and when it's stopped.   The developer is working on it.   I have it working kinda ok with audio sense on my matrix switch, but it's clearly only half-functional that way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.