C4 Forums | Control4

Composer HE capabilities for OS3

ashwinmj

What are the limitations of Composer HE for OS3 (I'm running OS 3.2.3 currently)? More specifically, what can't Composer HE do that Composer Pro can?

I know that Composer HE can't add/remove devices/drivers. But once a driver is installed in Composer Pro, can all of the settings/parameters of the driver available in Composer Pro be edited in Composer HE as well?

Other than adding drivers, what else is limited? 

I apologize if this is covered in another thread.

@sonic30101 thanks. Is this what's under "Connections" in Composer Pro? Can the connection bindings be viewed in Composer HE?

Other than the inability to add drivers and edit connection bindings, can everything else be done in Composer HE (including editing all properties/settings of drivers add in Composer Pro)?

5 hours ago, ashwinmj said:

@sonic30101 thanks. Is this what's under "Connections" in Composer Pro? Can the connection bindings be viewed in Composer HE?

Other than the inability to add drivers and edit connection bindings, can everything else be done in Composer HE (including editing all properties/settings of drivers add in Composer Pro)?

You cannot view bindings in HE.

Other differences include the inability to rename devices in HE (although there are drivers that allow this) and some tools (eg more advanced search - called Detective Suite) are not available in HE.

@South Africa C4 userthanks!

Can all the settings/parameters that are available in Composer Pro for drivers already installed, be edited in Composer HE? 

Is the capability of programming in Composer HE the same as Composer Pro or is it limited? I feel this is where the most tweaks would be beneficial to have access to as an end user. 

15 minutes ago, ashwinmj said:

@eggzlot thanks. I already have a 4sight subscription, so would it add 1 year to my existing subscription end date or would it be 1 year from the day I get Composer HE? 

Composer HE is a 1 time purchase right? It doesn’t have any annual subscription like 4sight? 

yep as mentioned above - when you buy it its a 1x fee

the 12 months of 4sight will just get tacked onto your current subscription so if you have 5 months left of your subscription you'll have 17 months left of your subscription. 

22 minutes ago, ashwinmj said:

Thanks @eggzlotand @lippavisual! with the 4sight included, it really is a no brainer to get lifetime access to Composer for 50 bucks. 

I assume that upgrades to newer versions of Composer HE are free. 

yes

you download from customer.control4.com though now I believe they even give you a pop up when you open HE and ask if you want to download the latest copy.  But note, your version of HE must match what your system is on, so when I open up Composer it asks if I want to upgrade but I say no because I am on 3.2.2 and I do not want the HE version of 3.2.3.  I think I could ignore those pop ups but I don't really pay attention 🙂 

49 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

yes

you download from customer.control4.com though now I believe they even give you a pop up when you open HE and ask if you want to download the latest copy.  But note, your version of HE must match what your system is on, so when I open up Composer it asks if I want to upgrade but I say no because I am on 3.2.2 and I do not want the HE version of 3.2.3.  I think I could ignore those pop ups but I don't really pay attention 🙂 

Not quite, as of os3xxx (at least since 3.1 I want to say, you can always have a NEWER composer to use on an OLDER software system - you can freely update composer to the latest without updating the system at this point (it actually has specific management packages per software version)

18 minutes ago, ashwinmj said:

@eggzlot, in the example you gave, can I upgrade the system version using Composer HE to 3.2.3 or would Composer Pro be needed for that? 

Updating is Pro only

15 hours ago, ashwinmj said:

It sounds like you are already using Composer Pro to be able to ask such a detailed question.  Why bother with Composer HE if you already have access to Composer Pro?

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Not quite, as of os3xxx (at least since 3.1 I want to say, you can always have a NEWER composer to use on an OLDER software system - you can freely update composer to the latest without updating the system at this point (it actually has specific management packages per software version)

Updating is Pro only

Perfect. Then I don’t need to worry about upgrading composer HE too early. 

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

It sounds like you are already using Composer Pro to be able to ask such a detailed question.  Why bother with Composer HE if you already have access to Composer Pro?

I’ve never used Composer Pro, but I’ve noticed what my dealer does to some extent while using it. Can end users get access to Composer Pro? I would love to get it, but I thought it’s dealer only. 

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

t sounds like you are already using Composer Pro to be able to ask such a detailed question.  Why bother with Composer HE if you already have access to Composer Pro?

Wow !! One mention of connections or bindings and the poor guy is using pro!! Can people really not ask legitimate questions to try and understand more?? 

8 minutes ago, ashwinmj said:

Can end users get access to Composer Pro? I would love to get it, but I thought it’s dealer only. 

No end users can’t get pro so your assumption is correct. He was ( incorrectly) intimating you had already acquired it.

1 minute ago, tdougray said:

Wow !! One mention of connections or bindings and the poor guy is using pro!! Can people really not ask legitimate questions to try and understand more?? 

I am not villifying the poster but when you say 'Is this what's under "Connections" in Composer Pro?' then that means you are familiar with the UI of Composer Pro.  To know about the  Connections tab would mean that you have seen a screen of Composer, which means that you are using it or have looked over you dealer's shoulder when hs is using Composer Pro.

I don't really care if someone is using Composer Pro and I wish that power DIY users were able to use Composer Pro.  But I gave up arguing about that on these forums about a decade ago.  Those that really want to use Composer Pro will find a way.

By the way, if you ask me how I know about the Connections tab then I will have to plead the Fifth. 😉

8 minutes ago, tdougray said:

Haha. I actually didn’t know the word bindings until someone used it on this forum thread earlier. I picked up the term from this thread. 

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I am not villifying the poster but when you say 'Is this what's under "Connections" in Composer Pro?' then that means you are familiar with the UI of Composer Pro.  To know about the  Connections tab would mean that you have seen a screen of Composer, which means that you are using it or have looked over you dealer's shoulder when hs is using Composer Pro.

I don't really care if someone is using Composer Pro and I wish that power DIY users were able to use Composer Pro.  But I gave up arguing about that on these forums about a decade ago.  Those that really want to use Composer Pro will find a way.

By the way, if you ask me how I know about the Connections tab then I will have to plead the Fifth. 😉

Hahaha. Plead the Fifth 🤣

You're right about the connections tab though. When few things weren’t working the way I would’ve liked, I noticed what my dealer was doing to change it, and that’s when I saw the connections part. I am an engineer and a complete tech guy outside of Control4, so noticing someone using any software is enough to get an idea of how it works. 

Maybe some day our wishes will be heard and is end users will get access to Composer Pro. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.