C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi Releasing Touchscreens

ejn1

In Early Access coming soon, a cool looking 13" HD touchscreen for $299 and a 7" for $199 with several table top and wall mount options.    They state now for digital signage or to run Unifi Protect but no doubt it will evolve to intercom's etc.  

Amazing to see what they are doing on design and pricing in relative comparison to C4.

15 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

The problem with UBNT is that they try to do EVERYTHING.  They get people excited about stuff, then abandon products entirely (or never deliver anything).  Time and time again.

I haven't really been hit yet with abandoning products but not surprising a company with a strong innovation pipeline mentality also is constantly testing the market for what the consumer wants.  

A few pics and specs,  Full 1080P, POE, dual band Wifi, 13" for $299.... Maybe C4 can just copy, not necessary for the customer to say it was invented here :)  Also interesting the design can be made flat mount on wall, angled off wall, or pedestal... All with the same base tablet.  

UC-Display13_002_grande.webp.bcf33b49a9e3ec1ef36e7d3234a7b4d5.webpUC-Display13_005_grande.webp.1f142aea561d81b90cdb013129d663ec.webp1867434400_Screenshot2021-11-23at17-33-06ConnectDisplay13UbiquitiInc.thumb.png.25ebc8d10186a749a9ea4dd6095aecbe.png

I'd be hesitant about this one too (and I'm a huge ubiquiti fan)..

If the specs are right, 2GB of ram probably means it's running android go I'm guessing, so, not futureproof at all... I wouldn't expect normal apps to run on it well. Also, Ubiquiti is a bit hostile towards the 3rd party integration, so I wouldn't get this for anything related to C4. 

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Pics when it’s up and going pls

For now, i'm just going to use it as viewer for my Unifi Protect.   I'll wall mount it when I get the flush mount kit in hand.   It's POE, no direct connect to 110v.  The mounting mechanism and stand look identical to the pics above,  very solid and thin.   Has a white edge trim and back that has a matt finish to it.   Touchscreen appears to have a camera in it as well, possibly to work with their intercom and access system.   It's still in EA status so lots of unknown still.   Even if C4 took something like this and added their and dealer margin, they would sell a TON of these at $600 or less.   Not sure what they are thinking with their touchscreen strategy. 

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

For now, i'm just going to use it as viewer for my Unifi Protect.   I'll wall mount it when I get the flush mount kit in hand.   It's POE, no direct connect to 110v.  The mounting mechanism and stand look identical to the pics above,  very solid and thin.   Has a white edge trim and back that has a matt finish to it.   Touchscreen appears to have a camera in it as well, possibly to work with their intercom and access system.   It's still in EA status so lots of unknown still.   Even if C4 took something like this and added their and dealer margin, they would sell a TON of these at $600 or less.   Not sure what they are thinking with their touchscreen strategy. 

Sounds neat.  What's it running?  Some Unifi app? thx

2 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Sounds neat.  What's it running?  Some Unifi app? thx

There is a new Unifi app in Early Release called "Connect"... For now it appears you can create digital signage, videos etc into a playlist which appears targeted for the commercial setting, or run the tablet in dedicated Unifi Protect mode.    I'm guessing they will add functionality to connect to the Unifi Controller, Unifi Access etc

19 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Just got in hand one of the new 13" touchscreens...  $299 delivered.   It's depressing that C4 can't make a touchscreen near this price point with this quality...

They definitely could do it they just don’t want to. they price those things high because the people the dealers are selling them to will pay that price and they also don’t want them out there in non luxury houses. 

7 hours ago, ejn1 said:

I sell touchscreens and remotes at cost for full systems. Thats my strategy…. But most don’t want/need a dedicated option when they have a variety of other mobile devices at hand. 

6 hours ago, videostorm said:

Log4j most likely   😧

with their disruptive pricing, thats your only hope of long term survival :)

I don't mind less expensive touch screens.  Agree the C4 ones are astronomical.

My comment is regarding Ubiquiti controller's issues with log4j (and previous security problems).  Hopefully they do better....

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

I don't mind less expensive touch screens.  Agree the C4 ones are astronomical.

My comment is regarding Ubiquiti controller's issues with log4j (and previous security problems).  Hopefully they do better....

Agree, they have had several very quick firmware updates after the log4j news so hopefully they closed any gaps... 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.