C4 Forums | Control4

Push through RJ-45 connectors

zaphod

I just bought a pass through connector and plugs.  It takes me forever to make a successful plug as I find it hard to keep the wires in the correct order and push them through the plug without them bunching up or switching order.  And you really have to detwist the wires as well.  Anyone have any secrets or are these not as useful as they are made out to be?  How much of each wire do you want when you strip the outer sheath?

Or do I just have crappy push through plugs?

Honestly, it just takes practice. I am no expert, but have gotten pretty good over time. I have found that once you have unwrapped the eight wires from the outer sheath, getting them as absolutely straight as possible and then cutting them all to the same length, makes it easier. Because the wires were twisted, they have a lot of bends in them. Smoothing them out makes a huge difference. 

As for how much wire you want after the sheath is removed, since you are pushing the eight wires through the end of the RJ-45, it really doesn't matter if you have too much. I usually expose 1.5 to 2 inches and again, spend a long time straightening them out. 

If you are using the "pass through" type, at least you can check that they are in the correct order before crimping. Before I moved to the "pass through" type, I wasted a lot of males. 

Maybe just grab some extra wire, a few RJ-45s, take a seat on the couch, and practice. Best to practice in non-real world scenarios (advice I myself never followed). 

Good luck! And yes, people only seem to make YouTube videos after they can do it in their sleep! 

untwisting the pairs more then needed makes lining them up more difficult. dont untwist all the wires at once (pair by pair)

when you cut the wire back place the cable so that the orange pair is to the left and brown pair to the right. (rotate cable if needed)

next take the pair closes to you (green or blue) pull to you.

Now start with blue pair untwist, keep in the middle, solid blue to the left.

next untwist orange pair, then brown pair.

that leaves green pair, untwist and keep green/wht to the left.. Green will split so that blue is in the middle of the green. straighten these 4 wires together..

now add orange (orange white to the left) and then brown (brown solid far right).... pitch and cut, do not let go, slide ice cube over pitched wire and crimp

always starts with orange/wht and ends solid brown. solids nvr touch, stripes nvr touch

do this way every single time, rarely have an issue.. hope this helps

12 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Next step is to get rid of them and get proper RJ45 ends.

🤬

That's really the only answer here.

Is there an issue with pushthrough?   Do they provide substandard connections? I have used the traditional ones for years, but I thought that pushhtrough might be easier and you don't have to worry about the size of the wires as you push it all the way through to minimize the unshielded and untwisted portion.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Is there an issue with pushthrough?   Do they provide substandard connections? I have used the traditional ones for years, but I thought that pushhtrough might be easier and you don't have to worry about the size of the wires as you push it all the way through to minimize the unshielded and untwisted portion.

the issue with push through if you do not have a good tool to cut the wires flush to the connector it could cause a short with POE and POH devices. Brick devices. if you are not using those device its okay but they are just not the best connectors.

10 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

Brick devices

Brick potentially a device with thousands of dollars cost.

A day's practise with 'regular' ends and there is really no need to ever use push-throughs (EZ) ends. The world would be a (very slightly) better place if these things were never invented.

Yes, the chance if a short isn't huge, especially if you maintain the tool - but there is no gain to be made, and the potential risk is high.

To be clear, this is NOT theoretical risk: I replaced a client's video switch once because the electrician used one of these, it wasn't cut right and shorted (he was hired to move a TV (outlet) for the client and it killed a 16x16 port video switch, I can recall at least TWO camera NVRs that had to be replaced because the 'off the books/DIY' installer that did the camera system did this and can't begin the amount of cameras fried the same way, plus a few extender sets by a short-term colleague that I know of....

Small flat head driver is the way here for straight wires.  Strip about 2-3” of sheathing.  Then separate each pair.  Slightly untwist each pair once or twice. Stick the small flat head between the wire pair and just pull up to untwist.  Can’t get the wires any straighter than that.

As for EZ vs normal ends, up for debate, no difference to me as long as you use a good quality tool for the EZ ends.  Replacement blades are dollars if that. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.