C4 Forums | Control4

New Yale Lock Compatability

ejn1

2 hours ago, Ryanjackson said:

Do you know how the auto unlock works? Assume it will still work? Bluetooth?

Thanks

Ryan

I don't believe it does since there is no native geofencing in c4.

EDIT - see below, I'm wrong!

Edited by SpencerT
I'm wrong

1 hour ago, Ryanjackson said:

It is built into the Yale lock. Not through c4. Just wondering if removing the wifi card also disables the auto unlock feature. 

Thanks

Ryan

Yes, it disables auto unlock. The Yale app can no longer communicate with the lock. You would have to put together a geo solution for c4. 

Edit - I'm wrong.

Edited by SpencerT
I'm wrong

1 hour ago, SpencerT said:

Yes, it disables auto unlock. The Yale app can no longer communicate with the lock. You would have to put together a geo solution for c4. 

I can’t speak to other models that use the Yale Access app, but I can report definitively that, with the Assure 2 locks with C4 zigbee module installed, the app can continue communicating with the lock (you can setup and manage auto lock from the app in this way - as well as a number of settings, lock firmware upgrade, etc) as long as it is in Bluetooth range of the lock.  I believe the Assure 2 has a built in Bluetooth radio which does not deactivate when the C4 module is in there and in this way allows advanced features and lock control through the app. Really like the Yale Assure 2 and C4 module combo - C4 integration remains perfect totally reliable, user management and all C4 features work great!

8 hours ago, Dueport said:

I can’t speak to other models that use the Yale Access app, but I can report definitively that, with the Assure 2 locks with C4 zigbee module installed, the app can continue communicating with the lock (you can setup and manage auto lock from the app in this way - as well as a number of settings, lock firmware upgrade, etc) as long as it is in Bluetooth range of the lock.  I believe the Assure 2 has a built in Bluetooth radio which does not deactivate when the C4 module is in there and in this way allows advanced features and lock control through the app. Really like the Yale Assure 2 and C4 module combo - C4 integration remains perfect totally reliable, user management and all C4 features work great!

I stand corrected. That's awesome! I'm on the Yale assure SL's and I can't see them anymore from the app. Very cool feature for the v2! Thanks for clarifying!

On 1/30/2023 at 6:32 PM, Dueport said:

Thanks,  Can i just confirm that I can buy the "non-wifi" version of the lock and insert a C4 card into that unit?  or do i have to buy the wifi version and replace the wifi card with a C4 module?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks,  Can i just confirm that I can buy the "non-wifi" version of the lock and insert a C4 card into that unit?  or do i have to buy the wifi version and replace the wifi card with a C4 module?

Thanks!

No problem!  Yes I can confirm that you can buy the "non-wifi" version of the lock and insert a C4 card into that (that's what I did) - no need to buy the wifi version.

9 hours ago, avtexan said:

Will the Zwave module work just as well?  Is there a preference between Zigbee and Zwave?

I don't have a way to test it but I would assume you can swap the zwave module in just as easily.  Would strongly encourage using the C4 zigebee module over zwave - as long as your C4 mesh is good where the lock will be.  I previously had zwave schlage locks integrated through vera and they were just awful(despite a strong zwave mesh) constantly losing signal etc - no deep integration like lock management etc.  No if the core controllers allow zwave locks maybe you will be ok if you can go that route but I don't see a reason not to go with C4 zigbee given the proven stability and feature set if you're starting from scratch - locks are clearly one of those things you really want/need to have rock solid

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to provide a quick note for folks about something I just noticed in programming with the Assure 2 lock. Still stand by everything I've said earlier about these locks - they're fantastic. 

That being said, I just noticed this "quirk" - not all device variables are populating so it is worth testing your programming off the variable if you're doing that too.  For instance, I have programming that sends me a report about device battery status when a device reports a low battery or a battery level drops too low.  In programming this, I discovered that the Assure 2 lock makes available several variables (Battery Status; Battery Level; Last Action Description; Lock Status; Last Unlocked By; and Long Pressed) but doesn't populate them all (only Battery Level and Last Unlocked By).  So if you're programming and want to include a variable (like Battery Status or Battery Level) be aware that the former won't work but the later will.

On 2/23/2023 at 5:43 PM, Dueport said:

Wanted to provide a quick note for folks about something I just noticed in programming with the Assure 2 lock. Still stand by everything I've said earlier about these locks - they're fantastic. 

That being said, I just noticed this "quirk" - not all device variables are populating so it is worth testing your programming off the variable if you're doing that too.  For instance, I have programming that sends me a report about device battery status when a device reports a low battery or a battery level drops too low.  In programming this, I discovered that the Assure 2 lock makes available several variables (Battery Status; Battery Level; Last Action Description; Lock Status; Last Unlocked By; and Long Pressed) but doesn't populate them all (only Battery Level and Last Unlocked By).  So if you're programming and want to include a variable (like Battery Status or Battery Level) be aware that the former won't work but the later will.

Does the Auto-lock experience driver still work with this? I mean showing the correct status of the lock whether locked or unlocked?

Anyone worry about the potential security risk if someone ended up with your phone and the auto unlock via Bluetooth let's them in? I'm currently looking at the hikvison facial recognition terminal with built in finger print reader. We want a faster way to unlock our Yale locks rather than the key pad. Unless someone decapitates my head or amputates my hand/finger then we are secure. I'm going to test integration speed with my Yale locks soon. The auto unlock of the assure 2 is definitely cool. I wonder if having both systems active at the same time would cause issues - use the Bluetooth unlocking for me and wife; use facial or fingerprint for grandparents, cleaner, kids.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2023 at 9:57 PM, Dueport said:

I got mine from @chopedogg88 if you need them - they work perfectly with the new yale assure 2 locks.  They're the red ones and say "AYR202-ZB-C4 V. 5.0" on them.  I believe "V. 5.0" is a reference to the firmware on the module.  To work properly both the lock itself and the module must be running the latest firmware.  I say this because at first the Assure 2 would join but was unreliable and couldn't be managed in the UI - but once I updated the firmware both the lock and the module (the module firmware is updated through Composer) then - presto - worked perfectly!  I have 3 of the Assure 2s and 1 of the older YRD226L locks and they all work perfectly and are rock solid - a HUGE improvement over the old Vera Z-Wave integration in terms of reliability and quieter operation and features (and aesthetics) - highly recommend the upgrade.

Hi,  I am planning to go ahead and buy the Yale Assure 2 lock along with the Zigbee module mentioned above.  Below is a picture.  Just to be on the safe side, can you confirm that this is the right module?

Yale_AYR202.JPG

• 4 months later...
On 1/22/2023 at 10:57 PM, Dueport said:

I got mine from @chopedogg88 if you need them - they work perfectly with the new yale assure 2 locks.  They're the red ones and say "AYR202-ZB-C4 V. 5.0" on them.  I believe "V. 5.0" is a reference to the firmware on the module.  To work properly both the lock itself and the module must be running the latest firmware.  I say this because at first the Assure 2 would join but was unreliable and couldn't be managed in the UI - but once I updated the firmware both the lock and the module (the module firmware is updated through Composer) then - presto - worked perfectly!  I have 3 of the Assure 2s and 1 of the older YRD226L locks and they all work perfectly and are rock solid - a HUGE improvement over the old Vera Z-Wave integration in terms of reliability and quieter operation and features (and aesthetics) - highly recommend the upgrade.

Hi Deport.  Are you able to add names and code from the C4 app to the lock?  I have a Yale Assure 2 with the solid red card working perfectly, except I get a fail trying to add codes.  Weirdly, it will add the code with "User 1" as the name but won't let me rename...

15 hours ago, Double D said:

Hi Deport.  Are you able to add names and code from the C4 app to the lock?  I have a Yale Assure 2 with the solid red card working perfectly, except I get a fail trying to add codes.  Weirdly, it will add the code with "User 1" as the name but won't let me rename...

Yep it works perfectly. I long press on the lock in a navigator and select manage lock and it allows you to add new user from there including naming the user setting their code and restrictions. Very nice interface. I may have had your same problem before updating the card firmware through HE so may be check to make sure that’s all updated?

13 hours ago, Double D said:

You guys rock.  I did the firmware update when I first installed, but it must not have uploaded.  I just updated and now working perfectly, thx!

Fantastic! So glad that worked for you! Enjoy the lock - we’ve had ours about a year now and have been very happy rock solid reliability and great features. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ashwinmj said:

I have the C4 Zigbee module with model number “AYR202-ZB-C4 V5.0”. How do I pair this using the Yale Assure Lock 2, since it doesn’t have the gear->7->gear->1 menu setting like the original Yale Assure Lock did?

@Dueport looks like you managed to do this successfully? 

I did - rather than using the gear like on the old keypads, with the Assure Lock 2 you initiate the pairing using the app