C4 Forums | Control4

New Yale Lock Compatability

ejn1

1 hour ago, chopedogg88 said:

no you'll want the new zigbee card.  PM me I can order you one if you need.

Thanks,  when you say "new card",  do you know when this card was released?  I got a card about a year ago for the last Yale lock which was a different zigbee card than the first gen Yale locks.   Are they on the 3rd revision of that card now for Yale?  Thx

but with the yale August card you have 1) cloud dependency 2) another app to configure and use and 3) the BT wifi bridge.  Just buy the right card and it's much cleaner

True but it also depends on your application. My Yale lock is attached to an outdoor fence so it is outside of my Zigbee, but not my Wi-Fi, network. So there may be situations where the august card (and Wi-Fi) will work better than Zigbee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks,  when you say "new card",  do you know when this card was released?  I got a card about a year ago for the last Yale lock which was a different zigbee card than the first gen Yale locks.   Are they on the 3rd revision of that card now for Yale?  Thx

I got mine from @chopedogg88 if you need them - they work perfectly with the new yale assure 2 locks.  They're the red ones and say "AYR202-ZB-C4 V. 5.0" on them.  I believe "V. 5.0" is a reference to the firmware on the module.  To work properly both the lock itself and the module must be running the latest firmware.  I say this because at first the Assure 2 would join but was unreliable and couldn't be managed in the UI - but once I updated the firmware both the lock and the module (the module firmware is updated through Composer) then - presto - worked perfectly!  I have 3 of the Assure 2s and 1 of the older YRD226L locks and they all work perfectly and are rock solid - a HUGE improvement over the old Vera Z-Wave integration in terms of reliability and quieter operation and features (and aesthetics) - highly recommend the upgrade.

Confirming these are the locks that are compatible with the current Control4 Zigbee module and existing Control4 Driver?
(Rep nor tech support could confirm, and both said didn't think so, that's why I'm tripple checking.)
Thanks.

Yale Assure Lock 2 Touchscreen with Wi-Fi in Black Suede_3

45 minutes ago, RAV said:

Confirming these are the locks that are compatible with the current Control4 Zigbee module and existing Control4 Driver?
(Rep nor tech support could confirm, and both said didn't think so, that's why I'm tripple checking.)
Thanks.

Yale Assure Lock 2 Touchscreen with Wi-Fi in Black Suede_3

Those are they - I have the same model but without key

+1 for the August card. While it's another app, it's great for managing access and auto lock/unlock.

The only new Zigbee card for the new locks is for C4. Yale/August is moving to Thread/Matter. Hopefully C4 adopts those technologies. C4 proprietary Zigbee shouldn't be a thing in 2023. It's end user unfriendly from both performance (limited device options) and price perspective (e.g. regular Zigbee NYCE motion sensor is about $50 on Amazon).

I may be the outlier here but the Yale august modules with c4 was a terrible experience for us. Would work for a few days and then lose state (even though everything worked from the August app). Gave up and went with the c4 zb modules on a few of our locks. They work perfectly. 

2 hours ago, ChzBurger said:

+1 for the August card. While it's another app, it's great for managing access and auto lock/unlock.

The only new Zigbee card for the new locks is for C4. Yale/August is moving to Thread/Matter. Hopefully C4 adopts those technologies. C4 proprietary Zigbee shouldn't be a thing in 2023. It's end user unfriendly from both performance (limited device options) and price perspective (e.g. regular Zigbee NYCE motion sensor is about $50 on Amazon).

In time perhaps. Matter could flop just like all the other latest greatest new standards. Zigbee is a known and works well when properly implemented.
I hope Matter succeeds, but it's way too early to bet the farm.

28 minutes ago, ChzBurger said:

C4 Zigbee is "properly implemented" to frustrate end users. But it's good for the dealers, I guess. I think Thread will make it even if Matter doesn't meet expectations.

Not true - but sure spin it how you want.  The Control4 implementation was based on security and improvements for mesh size and scalability.

20 minutes ago, ChzBurger said:

I think Thread will make it even if Matter doesn't meet expectations.

If Matter fails, they all fail.

There's big money at play, and big boys playing. By all accounts, it should be great for smarthome's future.
But, if it hiccups coming out of the gate, and the press poo poos it, then it's all done, it only gets one shot at success.
Much like NASA and Artemis, it's got to go amazingly smooth, or the big boys will instantly run the other way to save their butts and platforms, and the bad press will bury it faster than DIVX.

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Not true - but sure spin it how you want.  The Control4 implementation was based on security and improvements for mesh size and scalability.

Maybe historically. Not true in 2023. Zigbee 3.0 is the successor to Pro. Yet C4 still does its proprietary stuff. Most Tuya 3.0 stuff works great.  I'm active in enough home automation forums. I've never seen any claims of any Zigbee HA or 3.0 security breaches. And C4 lets anyone develop drivers for any random IP stuff. There are a lot more attack vectors with some random Aliexpress WiFi junk than any Aliexpress Tuya Zigbee stuff. Does anyone really believe that a C4 NYCE sensor is worth 2.5x the price of a Zigbee HA version?

11 minutes ago, RAV said:

If Matter fails, they all fail.

Don't think so. Google has been running Thread radios in their Nest Protects for forever. HomeKit over Thread was already in use in the Apple world. Lutron RadioRA 3 seems to have some Thread-like stuff - Clear Connect X is 2.4 GHz, they're on the BOD, and onboarding is via BT. The IP radios will be useful even if Matter fails. 

9 minutes ago, ChzBurger said:

And C4 lets anyone develop drivers for any random IP stuff.

Allowing ZigBee integration would mean directly connecting to the C4 ecosystem - that's not the same as allowing IP integration of a device that resides on the same overall network. As such this comparison doesn't work. Nothing's truly stopping you from a C4 standpoint to integrate a third party zigbee 3.0 bridge and any devices connected to that.

That said, I'm not saying it makes sense that 3rd party devices that connect to C4 over zigbee need to cost that much more, or that zigbee 3.x shouldn't be considered as such.

11 minutes ago, ChzBurger said:

Don't think so. Google has been running Thread radios in their Nest Protects for forever. HomeKit over Thread was already in use in the Apple world. Lutron RadioRA 3 seems to have some Thread-like stuff - Clear Connect X is 2.4 GHz, they're on the BOD, and onboarding is via BT. The IP radios will be useful even if Matter fails. 

And both Google and Apple will look the other way if Matter goes down as they've always done. Matter is more or less the 'made face' of Thread now that they are thinking they have it down to where it works. Thread may survive Matter if it fails, but it'll be revised, renamed and likely not backward compatible. Of course this is a lot of 'what ifs'.

In the end the ZigBee alliance, which includes Control4, is a member of the Thread alliance/group/whatever - but incorporation of anything will not likely be in the early stages for their own stuff at least, though maybe quicker in a 'bridge' form - too many 'what ifs' indeed.

54 minutes ago, Ryanjackson said:

Back to the yale locks. When you add the zigbee card to the yale assure lock 2, does it still get wifi and the ability to auto unlock? Or do you have to remove wifi module to install the zigbee?

Thanks!

Ryan

No wifi. It's one or the other. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.