C4 Forums | Control4

1 account multiple locations

Yes, for the app (OS3 only) you'll receive any relevant notifications (ie doorbell presses) for every account added to the app. This is true even if you don't use the gmail 'trick' - that 'just' allows you to receive account emails all in one inbox (ie password resets, customer communications from C4 etc)

It would be a nice upgrade to be able to handle multiple homes with one account - it should work like multiple buildings currently does - only it would allow you to back out beyond one property and select another property.  I would be willing to bet that if you have one C4 system the odds are good that you have more than one property with C4.

28 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

Idk i dont have any issue back out and selecting another system. They certainly could make it faster.

It's less about the app then it is about managing the account. It could be a little easier, though I'm not saying it's a huge issue either.

Ignoring dealers (oops - this is Control4 😉) I would bet (given that we are gambling already on this thread) that the majority of users with multiple systems only have 2 systems.  Thus an option to choose a toggle property in the app and have a single button (say, top right) to toggle between the 2 systems would be a massive improvement (in my view) for those of us with multiple (2) properties…

@ChrisHenderson

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Ignoring dealers (oops - this is Control4 😉) I would bet (given that we are gambling already on this thread) that the majority of users with multiple systems only have 2 systems.  Thus an option to choose a toggle property in the app and have a single button (say, top right) to toggle between the 2 systems would be a massive improvement (in my view) for those of us with multiple (2) properties…

@ChrisHenderson

Sure, or even an 'up' option in room selection to go past the 'project' into a connected account selection) would be nice as well.

Then again I would ask: for those of you that have more than one location, how often do you really need to 'swap' between them?

As a dealer with my own system, a showroom system, a test system and a few show setups, I still don't feel like it being cumbersome to switch when needed - do you (as a 'regular' user) even change properties every day?

I would imagine that in most cases the multiple systems are between residences and/or vacation homes, or perhaps your own home and a regularly visited relative. The only scenario where I t hink it's likely to be a 'daily hassle' is if you would have it at home and at work/office......

I've be curious to get a feel for how often everyone actually has to 'flip' between systems

20 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Sure, or even an 'up' option in room selection to go past the 'project' into a connected account selection) would be nice as well.

Then again I would ask: for those of you that have more than one location, how often do you really need to 'swap' between them?

As a dealer with my own system, a showroom system, a test system and a few show setups, I still don't feel like it being cumbersome to switch when needed - do you (as a 'regular' user) even change properties every day?

I would imagine that in most cases the multiple systems are between residences and/or vacation homes, or perhaps your own home and a regularly visited relative. The only scenario where I t hink it's likely to be a 'daily hassle' is if you would have it at home and at work/office......

I've be curious to get a feel for how often everyone actually has to 'flip' between systems

I will say that as a Savant dealer it is very helpful to automatically have app access to all of my sites, switching between them or my own is a matter of clicking on ”Settings” / “Switch Home” . This would be super helpful in the Control4 world. As an end user however I’m really not sure. These systems are NOT specific to well off folks however, most of my experience has been with such and even then most people have only one system or a possible seasonal location with minimal involvement. 

I think it would be most useful to be able to check on other properties while you’re at another property. For instance at a ski resort property for the weekend in winter, or a summer home for a few weeks and you want to check on the primary residence. Or you’re at the primary residence and you want to check on the other properties. 

There is a new driver out there last month that allows you to monitor a single or multiple C4 systems from another C4 system by cloning remote devices!

Any cloned device will receive realtime updates when the source device state changes and remote system can also control devices, just as it is a local device!

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/domaudeo-multisystem-driver-airbnb-country-home-solution/

4 hours ago, Amr said:

There is a new driver out there last month that allows you to monitor a single or multiple C4 systems from another C4 system by cloning remote devices!

Any cloned device will receive realtime updates when the source device state changes and remote system can also control devices, just as it is a local device!

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/domaudeo-multisystem-driver-airbnb-country-home-solution/

I must say that when I saw this a few weeks back, I thought that is really cool.  Then I saw that you need a permanent VPN between the 2 properties and (AFAIK) my Luxul routers are not capable of setting up such a thing.  I wish they could for other reasons also!

46 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I must say that when I saw this a few weeks back, I thought that is really cool.  Then I saw that you need a permanent VPN between the 2 properties and (AFAIK) my Luxul routers are not capable of setting up such a thing.  I wish they could for other reasons also!

Yeah, silly, but this is the only way to implement it I believe!

34 minutes ago, Amr said:

Yeah, silly, but this is the only way to implement it I believe!

Pity! I previously thought about putting a touchscreen in my main residence which linked to my holiday home.  That would obviously need a VPN which was when I investigated my Luxul routers and concluded it was not possible.  Pity! But probably saved me real money!

45 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Pity! I previously thought about putting a touchscreen in my main residence which linked to my holiday home.  That would obviously need a VPN which was when I investigated my Luxul routers and concluded it was not possible.  Pity! But probably saved me real money!

There is no way to include 4Sight, this has to be done by C4 and require massive changes, which I believe in the queue (If it’s even asked for) 2050!

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

This might be a good reason to set up an iPad running 4Sight on your 2nd residence. But I am sure you have thought of this.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:33 PM, Control4Savant said:

I will say that as a Savant dealer it is very helpful to automatically have app access to all of my sites, switching between them or my own is a matter of clicking on ”Settings” / “Switch Home”

Yeah I don't routinely control my customer's houses. Savant or otherwise.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:46 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

VPN is fairly standard these days even on crappier routers.. If its something you're serious about, would definitely be worth upgrading (if both systems are running different subnets already, it might be easier). Never used that driver though 

9 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

VPN is fairly standard these days even on crappier routers.. If its something you're serious about, would definitely be worth upgrading (if both systems are running different subnets already, it might be easier). Never used that driver though 

Yeah, my router allows VPNs to be setup but will not allow a VPN router to router (which is - I think - what you need for this setup).  I can turn  on a VPN from my iPad (iPhone or laptop)  to either house from anywhere but what I think is needed is a router to router VPN which would need a different router.  An expensive solution!

As it happens, both houses are running different subnets (by luck) which is very useful when VPN’ing in!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.