C4 Forums | Control4

Halo & Unifi Fixed

I wanted to share my experience with the new Halo remote and my Unifi setup.  Initially, it wasn't a great experience and the halo remote would always lose connectivity. 

I know this was a general issue with the Halo and I sort of gave up on it working well.  I read reports of firmware improvements and things getting better yet I was still having major issues on keeping it connected to wifi. 

I was working on an unrelated wifi issue with Ubiquiti and they recommended that I upgrade my unifi AP firmware to an EA release version of 6.5.54.   I was on 6.5.28 (as of 5/30/23) and after upgrading to 6.5.54 on my wireless all my Halo issues went away.  Ubiquiti is expecting this release to go public and be out of EA very soon. 

I currently run three of the UAP-AC-PRO.

I hope this can help anyone else that might be having issues. 

-Dan

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Thats likely what the unifi issue w halo is then. I do t have account to read the forum for unifi. I don't like their hardware. Stick w Ruckus and don't have a ruckus. It just works

It wasn't just on the halo.  This firmware was causing issues with other devices giving random disconnects.

Thanks for this tip!  I just applied the EA firmware.   Too soon to really say if my network disconnect and responsiveness issue are solved, but it reconnected quickly and seems snappy so far.  So thanks again!

Sadly, Siri Voice button still not working reliably for me.

My Neeo never liked UniFi, either.   I mean, I don't think it's really fair to blame Unifi.   Ubiquiti sells ~$2B of gear a year, so it's not a niche product line-- and appeals to end customers who like to tinker with things like Control4, so imagine it is a reasonably popular choice for the same customer base (especially amongst end users who even know what network gear they are running, LOL).   I think Control4 should be working with them to resolve any compatibility issues.   Maybe they are already.    I have ~350 devices on my network and, AFAIK, only the Halo and Neeo have any issues that might be due to Unifi.   

On the other hand, I totally understand dealers who rule out UniFi.  I'd probably avoid too if I were dealer.  But I do wish C4 would be more proactive in certifying these fancy $$$ remotes, especially when marketing them as end-user deployable.

Edit:  My comments may be a bit misplaced since it seems like a legit bug on UniFi side and nothing that C4 could have dealt with.  And, AFAIK, my voice issues might not have anything to do with WiFi.  I'm just frustrated with flakey voice control and venting a bit I guess.

10 hours ago, dinom said:

And I have Unifi access points and never had and issue with my older NEEO or the new Halo. So I guess it’s really setup dependent. 

Same. I’m all UniFi and although I never had a Neeo, I’ve had zero issues with my Halo.

59 minutes ago, Alt said:

Only way I have had success with Neeo's and Unifi is to create a separate network for each remote, and only broadcast that network on the 1 closest AP. 

I haven't had any issues with my neeos.  I have six of them.  Halo has been an issue. Overall my wifi has been rock soli on AC-PROS.  This most recent update is what caused me some issues. 

With Unifi you can lock a device to a single AP, that would stop it from jumping around.  You might have too much signal and need to turn down the power on some of your radios. 

2 hours ago, Alt said:

Only way I have had success with Neeo's and Unifi is to create a separate network

I'll have to give that a try.   Would you mind sharing your WiFi settings on that special network?  The screen where you can set UAPSD / Multicast, etc?

Halo (and Neeo) still flakey for me, even after this Unifi update.

Thanks

On 6/4/2023 at 5:52 PM, pdapice said:

I have issues with Unifi and lots of equipment. I have decided to dump them and move to Omada and have had 0 issues since. I liked the ubiquity stuff but honestly it was nothing but trouble

Omada was pure shit for me. I dumbed it for UniFi!

4 hours ago, cnicholson said:

I'll have to give that a try.   Would you mind sharing your WiFi settings on that special network?  The screen where you can set UAPSD / Multicast, etc?

Halo (and Neeo) still flakey for me, even after this Unifi update.

Thanks

Capture.PNG

I have no issues with Neeo, really it’s stable since a long time when I discovered the Early Release Ubiquiti Firmware channel, since then it’s stable, I have the same setup but with some extra’s, I turned off everything and am a happy man since then!

IMG_6332.png

IMG_6333.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.