C4 Forums | Control4

How to wire multiple switches

Ok guys, so I have the following:

(2) Araknis 310 Series AN-310-SW-R-24-PoE L2 Managed 

(1) Araknis AN-210-SW-F-48-POE Gigabit Switch

(1) Araknis AN-300–SW-F-24 

(1) Araknis 310 router

We have been having all kinds of network problems and tonight was the last straw. So I’m starting from basics. For access points, the installer chose Eeros. I hesitated on this initially, I know some of you will have problem with that but also some of you recommend and really like Eeros. So currently the wiring is this, 

cable modem>310 router>Eero located in control room> first AN-310-SW-R-24 switch (this is simply with an Ethernet cable from Eero plugged into port 17 on the switch)> then from this first switch to the second AN-310-SW-R-24 AND the AN-300–SW-F-24 via the two SPF ports

The 48 port switch is just connected via Ethernet  cable into first AN-310-SW-R-24. 
The CA-10 is then connected to the AN-300–SW-F-24 via two Ethernet cables. 

I hope this wasn’t confusing, but right off the bat, does this wiring connection all seem fine? I also read somewhere that Araknis says these switches can’t be cascaded? Or am I reading that wrong? 
So basically out of the router, the entire systems runs through the Eero first. I questioned this but they say this is how Eero recommends. 

Similar to the other guys, you'll definitely want to do something like

<modem (bridge mode> --> <Router (wifi disabled)> -> <Core Switch> --> EVERYTHING CONNECTED HERE, INCLUDING AP's

Core Switch should have STP enabled. Ensure all AP's are wired by ethernet. If there is no cable for all the AP's, find a way to install one (it makes a massive difference). 

4 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

Similar to the other guys, you'll definitely want to do something like

<modem (bridge mode> --> <Router (wifi disabled)> -> <Core Switch> --> EVERYTHING CONNECTED HERE, INCLUDING AP's

Core Switch should have STP enabled. Ensure all AP's are wired by ethernet. If there is no cable for all the AP's, find a way to install one (it makes a massive difference). 

Thanks. So make sure STP is not enabled on any switches? Also, installer says going from router to Eero then to switches is the way Eero recommends setup. The Eero is set to bridge mode. Is this not accurate?

Also, if wired as msgreenf mentioned, do I go from router to first switch with a wire into the first SPF port? Then from the second SPF port on that switch to the first SPF port on the second switch, and so on? I think those two ports are labeled like ports 25 and 26

1 minute ago, rf9000 said:

Thanks. So make sure STP is not enabled on any switches? Also, installer says going from router to Eero then to switches is the way Eero recommends setup. The Eero is set to bridge mode. Is this not accurate?

Also, if wired as msgreenf mentioned, do I go from router to first switch with a wire into the first SPF port? Then from the second SPF port on that switch to the first SPF port on the second switch, and so on? I think those two ports are labeled like ports 25 and 26

Listen to msgreenf.. He has lots of experience.. I'd enable STP everywhere. 

We talked about this on the phone. Modem router switch one. Use SFPs to uplink and downlink to switches. Then eeros plugged into one switch. 
I bet you also have a network loop somewhere 

This ^

Modem>Router>Core (Main) switch>secondary switches. APs connected to one of the several switches.

I prefer a star topology (where each of your secondary switches connect to your core switch versus each other). This is a very simple to manage/troubleshoot setup. Again, be careful that you don’t have secondary switches then connecting to each other or connecting back to the core switch (to avoid loops).

Normally with SFP available, Fiber between the Core and each secondary switch (if you have enough SFP ports on the core, otherwise copper is fine with your Araknis). And since I don’t believe your switches do more than 1g via SFP, SFP won’t really increase handling of traffic vs copper, but fiber will protect a lighting strike from traveling to another switch.

The one glaring thing (other than the loop that sounds very likely they way it’s currently wired), it that it’s not a great idea to put a WAP in your control/rack/comms/server room if you are running a zigbee mesh and have a zigbee server there, as the 2.4 ghz WiFi and Zigbee overlap at parts of the 2.4ghz spectrum. (May want to check your Zigbee channel(s) regardless -but not sure what exact network problems you are seeing).

The “loop” - (in the most basic form) @msgreenf refers to a situation where -ie: SW1 connects to SW2 and then via another cable somewhere SW2 is feeding back to SW1. You want to be flat. Never 2 connections between switches. There are other loop scenarios, but this is most common.

Eeros - I don’t use it, so can’t really specifically comment. But like @msgreenf said, typically you want your all of your APs connected to a single switch. (You can have obviously have other devices connected to that same switch). I am thinking the Eeros controller FW/SW resides on an Eeros AP? (This way you’d log into 1 Eeros AP via some sort of web or app interface to set up all of the APs). But again, I don’t know Eeros, but try to stick to best practices.

Lastly, I don’t like using the up and downlinks on WAPs. It’s basically creating another small switch in the wild. It can be done, but you’ll want to know your network setup well (record the topology on paper and take a pic of it and upload it to whatever cloud you use). Label cables anytime possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.