C4 Forums | Control4

Core 3 House controller

Cooper

Hello. I have some questions about the Core 3 controller. I am planning to run 8 zones of audio (Total 16 speakers) with an Episode DSP 16 Ch AMP. I will have a Core 3 controlling 2 TVs, and a Core lite controlling 1. Can a Core 3 fit the job for 8 zones Of audio? I don’t need all of them running separate audio streams, only a few.

5 hours ago, Cooper said:

Hello. I have some questions about the Core 3 controller. I am planning to run 8 zones of audio (Total 16 speakers) with an Episode DSP 16 Ch AMP. I will have a Core 3 controlling 2 TVs, and a Core lite controlling 1. Can a Core 3 fit the job for 8 zones Of audio? I don’t need all of them running separate audio streams, only a few.

Be very Careful - Get your dealer to confirm in writing that the Core 3 can run everything 

Reason been - We updated to Core 3 after our dealer confirm everything will be fine -  We now have the Core3 Re Booting every few days - Control4 saying the Core 3 Can not cope with processing - Dealer looking into - my project is not big 

Are you ok with 3 audio streams?

Will you eventually add lighting or other sub systems?

Are you reasonable/patient or expect lickity split screen loads (couple seconds)?

Have use for relays and contacts or more serial ports?

Be very Careful - Get your dealer to confirm in writing that the Core 3 can run everything 
Reason been - We updated to Core 3 after our dealer confirm everything will be fine -  We now have the Core3 Re Booting every few days - Control4 saying the Core 3 Can not cope with processing - Dealer looking into - my project is not big 

What were you upgrading from that handled your processing load? What seems to be eating up processing? The Core3 is pretty adequate for 90% of projects that require 3 simultaneous streams of Ryff. Now that said, the Core series has not been without some launch pains (like anything else), but updates have resolved most known issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a 

36 minutes ago, time2jet said:

What were you upgrading from that handled your processing load? What seems to be eating up processing? The Core3 is pretty adequate for 90% of projects that require 3 simultaneous streams of Ryff. Now that said, the Core series has not been without some launch pains (like anything else), but updates have resolved most known issues.

We had a HC800 and to honest we have not got a massive Project 

9 CCTV Cameras / Sonos / Hue Lights / Texacom alarm / Q Motion Blinds 3 Number / 3 TV rooms all separate with Sky Boxes 

All drivers from 3rd Party Come from Driver Central 

Dealers deleting and re adding drivers at the moment to see if they can find the issue 

2 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We had a 

We had a HC800 and to honest we have not got a massive Project 

9 CCTV Cameras / Sonos / Hue Lights / Texacom alarm / Q Motion Blinds 3 Number / 3 TV rooms all separate with Sky Boxes 

All drivers from 3rd Party Come from Driver Central 

Dealers deleting and re adding drivers at the moment to see if they can find the issue 

Support can look at logs and usually tell them in 10 mins. 

13 hours ago, RAV said:

Are you ok with 3 audio streams?

Will you eventually add lighting or other sub systems?

Are you reasonable/patient or expect lickity split screen loads (couple seconds)?

Have use for relays and contacts or more serial ports?

I am great with 3 audio streams. I will have 2 C4 keypads and eventually some (5-10) Kasa switches. I am fine with a little delay, but how much seconds are we talking?

7 hours ago, Cooper said:

I am great with 3 audio streams. I will have 2 C4 keypads and eventually some (5-10) Kasa switches. I am fine with a little delay, but how much seconds are we talking?

Not a delay as much as the 5 is faster. You wouldn’t notice unless you experienced both on the same system, as in an upgrade. Everyone has different expectations in life and with tech, and having the fastest is appealing to some.

18 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Just be told by Controll4 that i have 160 devices and Core3 can only handle 100 devices 

So i now need to buy a Core5 which can handle 200 devices 

Any one had this issue before ?

I'm curious how you got it to work on the 800?

I honestly don't know much about what devices or tasks utilize the controller's power, but I am running a Core3 with whole house audio (through a Episode Response amp/matrix), over 100 Lutron Caseta lights and shades, a few Hue lights, a few Kasa plugs, local video sources in five rooms, Ecobee HVAC controller, Genie garage door, NuHeat floor heater, four remotes, etc. without any problems or delays. I upgraded from a EA-3 and mostly saw an improvement in the time HE takes to load and back-up. 

12 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

These are not hard limits. What categories does you system control? 

yes they is Control4 Say - CORE3 only 100 Devices and then it will start to fall over 

We are just talking about Discount on CORE5 and swapping out 

it controls - 

Hue lights - 16 Number 

Hue Senor - 7 Number

Alanrm with - 6 pirs - 7 number 

Sonos - 10 Number 

TV`S - 3 Number 

Sheilds - 2 Number 

Sky BOX - 4 Number 

Control Puck Dimmers  - 6 Number 

CCTV - 9 Number 

Amp - 1 Number 

POPCORN Hour - 2 Number 

Lock - 1 Number 

TS3 - 3 Number 

DS2 - 1 Number 

Blinds - 9 Number 

EA1 - 2 Number 

Core 3 - 1 Number 

Anexx Senors - 4 Number 

5 minutes ago, BY96 said:

I honestly don't know much about what devices or tasks utilize the controller's power, but I am running a Core3 with whole house audio (through a Episode Response amp/matrix), over 100 Lutron Caseta lights and shades, a few Hue lights, a few Kasa plugs, local video sources in five rooms, Ecobee HVAC controller, Genie garage door, NuHeat floor heater, four remotes, etc. without any problems or delays. I upgraded from a EA-3 and mostly saw an improvement in the time HE takes to load and back-up. 

That good to know - Will tell my Dealer - i just smell a Rat 

HC800 was working Brilliantly never missed a Heart Beat - had 3 dealer tell me to Buy a Core 3 

To be fair to my dealer he will take the CORE3 Back and off set the cost against a CORE5 

its leaving a bad feeling with him and me 

yes they is Control4 Say - CORE3 only 100 Devices and then it will start to fall over 
it controls - 
Hue lights - 16 Number 
Hue Senor - 7 Number
Sonos - 10 Number 
TV`S - 3 Number 
Sheilds - 2 Number 
Sky BOX - 4 Number 
CCTV - 9 Number 
Amp - 1 Number 
POPCORN Hour - 2 Number 
Lock - 1 Number 
TS3 - 3 Number 
DS2 - 1 Number 
Blinds - 9 Number 
EA1 - 2 Number 
Core 3 - 1 Number 
Anexx Senors - 4 Number 

That project should have zero issues with the Core3 @Gary Leeds UK And constant rebooting would not be what you’d expect if the processing is taxed.

21 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

it controls - 

Hue lights - 16 Number 

Hue Senor - 7 Number

Sonos - 10 Number 

TV`S - 3 Number 

Sheilds - 2 Number 

Sky BOX - 4 Number 

CCTV - 9 Number 

Amp - 1 Number 

POPCORN Hour - 2 Number 

Lock - 1 Number 

TS3 - 3 Number 

DS2 - 1 Number 

Blinds - 9 Number 

EA1 - 2 Number 

Core 3 - 1 Number 

Anexx Senors - 4 Number 

There are not hard limits. It’s based on processing estimations and you should be fine. 

4 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

That good to know - Will tell my Dealer - i just smell a Rat 

HC800 was working Brilliantly never missed a Heart Beat - had 3 dealer tell me to Buy a Core 3 

To be fair to my dealer he will take the CORE3 Back and off set the cost against a CORE5 

its leaving a bad feeling with him and me 

I may be wrong, but I think that when you use devices like Lutron Caseta or in your case, Hue lights, that use their own hubs, there is a lot less drain on the C4 controller. As I said, I am running over 100 Lutron Caseta devices without problem. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.