C4 Forums | Control4

Roku apps no longer launching

Hi

Does this mean we will need a new C4/Roku driver or will C4 no longer be able to control Roku?

I read this on the Roku community:

Support for sending ECP commands from within a Roku channel application has been discontinued"…..

"In addition, ECP commands may not be sent from 3rd-party platforms (for example, mobile applications).

Your thoughts?

thanks

7 minutes ago, AtlantaSteven said:

Hi,

can you explain what you mean by that?

thanks

Can things be updated to function as they used to before Roku made this change or does this mean Roku is effectively broken with C4 from now on?

Roku is broken for all control platforms but randomly.  Roku is returning a 401 unauthorized when the EPC commands are issued.  This impacts all control systems.  But not all devices.  EPC will work again.  But right now Roku is trying to understanding what is broken.

Control4 has a thread where they are tracking this.  If you have a serial number I can add to the broken list please message me.

@AtlantaSteven - what it means is the update in Roku OS 12.5 (which came out in September) is that a Roku channel can’t issue EPC commands.  Meaning a Roku app can’t control itself.  Control systems will work again 

4 hours ago, Dueport said:

Can things be updated to function as they used to before Roku made this change or does this mean Roku is effectively broken with C4 from now on?

Roku doesn't seem to know why it's broken.

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Roku is broken for all control platforms but randomly.  Roku is returning a 401 unauthorized when the EPC commands are issued.  This impacts all control systems.  But not all devices.  EPC will work again.  But right now Roku is trying to understanding what is broken.

Control4 has a thread where they are tracking this.  If you have a serial number I can add to the broken list please message me.

@AtlantaSteven - what it means is the update in Roku OS 12.5 (which came out in September) is that a Roku channel can’t issue EPC commands.  Meaning a Roku app can’t control itself.  Control systems will work again 

I posted this on the roku forum but it's more of a work-around for now.  Factory reset works for a bit then breaks again.  There is a silent update or something happening behind the scenes that breaks everything.  My showroom roku broke around saturday.  The showroom also runs pi-hole with most things roku blocked but a few domains still squeaked by. One that stood out was configsvc.cs.roku.com.  Not sure if that's whats doing the silent update but it's down blocked.  I will do a factory reset later and see if it holds.  It's not an answer to the problem but a possible temp solution for those with the ability to utilize it.

17 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I have 3…2 work, 1 doesn’t. I will PM you all 3 serial numbers. 

On 4/1/2024 at 10:39 PM, AtlantaSteven said:

Support for sending ECP commands from within a Roku channel application has been discontinued"…..

"In addition, ECP commands may not be sent from 3rd-party platforms (for example, mobile applications).

They appear to have removed that part from their statement.

Nevermind

Edited by zaphod
I was wrong

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

I can confirm the one unit i personally had impacted is resolved as of this morning!

Was there a software update?  Did you have to reboot or was it simply working again?

Does it sound like Roku is changing some of their policies and they are going to be reducing the functionality of their external REST API going forward?  Are we looking at another Chamberlain sort of situation?