C4 Forums | Control4

[Status Update]Roku interoperability issue with Control4 identified. Investigation underway.

Apr 1, 15:27 EDT
Identified - Numerous cases have been reported in the last few days of the loss of control of Roku devices through the Control4 system. There have not been any changes to the Roku driver recently and we currently leverage the published APIs by Roku, so we believe this is tied to a recent software update deployed by Roku. A Roku developer forum thread is also pointing to the same issue View the full article

- From dealer forum -

Control4:
"For those experiencing this, our Roku contacts have requested that we gather Roku device Serial # (or device ID) for the impacted devices. They will use this information to further investigate the issue from their side. If you can gather this information, it would be helpful. We'll pass it along."

I assume this is why I am have struggled with the following problem for the last 5-6 days. I have 3 TV zones (2 with EA1s and 1 with an EA3). Each location has a Roku Ultra that has worked flawlessly with a dedicated SR260 for the last 4-5 years. Now, one of the SR260s (at the EA3 location) will not control its associated Roku device. The 2 SR260s at the EA1 locations still work as before and can control their associated Roku devices. The SR260 at the EA3 location can navigate the C4 OSD, including the selection of the Roku device. However, when it selects Roku, the Roku OSD displays but that same SR260 cannot navigate the Roku OSD. The same SR260 works fine with other sources (lights, listen, thermostats, cable TV, etc.) It also can control volume during Roku play.

Weird that it fails at the controller (EA3) location,  but other SR260s work fine controlling identical Roku devices at EA1 locations on the same system.. 

27 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

If Roku decides this is a feature, not a bug ...   What is the best alternative for hooking streaming services to the Control4 ?

Roku has acknowledged the issue and correction expected by end of the week.

Damn.  My Roku Ultimate broke today.  I thought I had dodged a bullet.  Thank goodness I remembered where the Roku remote was now that my super expensive Halo remotes are neutered.

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

If Roku decides this is a feature, not a bug ...   What is the best alternative for hooking streaming services to the Control4 ?

Shield tv is imo the best solution out there. albeit one of the more expensive solutions. beyond that fire tv has had a shaky history. Anything else is just taking chances.

46 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

Shield tv is imo the best solution out there. albeit one of the more expensive solutions.

I prefer my Shields. I bought a Roku to support the deep linking with Josh. These are all relatively cheap. My recent find of a launcher for the Shield to remove the ads etc has made me like those even more.