C4 Forums | Control4

Automated blinds

I am looking at automated window treatments, and some C4 threads recommend Bali and Vera.  The Bali part is easy.  I looked up Vera on the web and it looks like another automation system.  Is this correct? 

It looks like Lutron is also an automation system. 

Do I have to install a second automation system additional to Control4?  (I already have Nexia for my Trane thermostat, and have used Ring; getting too crowded)

If so, what do I need to get up and running?  Another computer controller, plus the devices a the windows?  goals are reliability, simplicity (I program with ComposerHE), sensible cost

Thanks!

C4 forum thread 1

C4 forum thread 2

C4 forum thread 3

If you use Vera to control blinds you are still probably going to integrate Vera into Control4 so you are essentially controlling your blinds with Control4. Right?

You linked to some threads that cover some of that.

Have you talked to your dealer? They may have some opinions in your area on best blinds, best power supply for your house and maybe they know a good blinds dealer locally.

Seems like Vera and Somfy (motors. Lots of blinds use them)  integrated into C4 works and maybe fits your cost factor.

I am planning to install the hardware myself and have a dealer connect the hardware to control4. 

The links do talk about this.   I was hoping not to go this route.  Would rather handle it like a light switch (using a light as an analogy only).  Install a light switch, connect to C4.   Instead, it looks like install light switch, install second home automation system (Lutron or Vera), connect to c4.  That is what I am reading.

1 hour ago, H16_15_12 said:

I am planning to install the hardware myself and have a dealer connect the hardware to control4. 

The links do talk about this.   I was hoping not to go this route.  Would rather handle it like a light switch (using a light as an analogy only).  Install a light switch, connect to C4.   Instead, it looks like install light switch, install second home automation system (Lutron or Vera), connect to c4.  That is what I am reading.

Don't think of Vera as a "second" home automation system. Think of it as an adapter to allow C4 to talk to things like blinds or other things that C4 can't talk to today. I'm not trying to sell you on using Vera. I can see that you are thinking of Vera on the same scale as C4 rather than a useful enhancement to C4.

Have you priced blinds yet?

6 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I believe QMotion has direct drivers.

http://qmotionshades.com/support-center/tabs/videos/34-control4

no other hub would be required as far as I know - but I could be wrong

Somfy requires Somfy hardware but not a full on out controller per se.

Correct, QMotion blinds are ZigBee compatible with Control4 without further hardware.

In no particular order those that I've had experience with:

Any blind using Somfy RTS motors (which is a VERY large number) can be intregrated using a Somfy RTS controller (serial controlled device that is made for the purpose of integrating blinds into automation systems) (use 3rd party paid drivers for not only better but GREAT results)

QMotion (at least the current line up) have surprised me in how well they work (and are a since to integrate, even setup, from within Compsoer)

Lutron is good but needs the extended hardware and setup (not a major hurdle)

The NEW Hunter Douglas Powerview hub and (free!) driver by cinegration is looking really good - the older versions and Platinum were a horror.

Blinds on Vera.....I suppose. Not a big fan though, just feels clunky (and I mean Vera itself, which is a neat DIY tool, just not....professional)

ESI panels that centralize the control can be integrated too. Works very well but expensive!

There is of course always relay controlled motors as well. The control there is nothing if not perfect...provided it's done right. This requires a dealer who knows what he/she is doing though. We do this fairly often, but not going to be for most dealers.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Correct, QMotion blinds are ZigBee compatible with Control4 without further hardware.

In no particular order those that I've had experience with:

Any blind using Somfy RTS motors (which is a VERY large number) can be intregrated using a Somfy RTS controller (serial controlled device that is made for the purpose of integrating blinds into automation systems) (use 3rd party paid drivers for not only better but GREAT results)

QMotion (at least the current line up) have surprised me in how well they work (and are a since to integrate, even setup, from within Compsoer)

Lutron is good but needs the extended hardware and setup (not a major hurdle)

The NEW Hunter Douglas Powerview hub and (free!) driver by cinegration is looking really good - the older versions and Platinum were a horror.

Blinds on Vera.....I suppose. Not a big fan though, just feels clunky (and I mean Vera itself, which is a neat DIY tool, just not....professional)

ESI panels that centralize the control can be integrated too. Works very well but expensive!

There is of course always relay controlled motors as well. The control there is nothing if not perfect...provided it's done right. This requires a dealer who knows what he/she is doing though. We do this fairly often, but not going to be for most dealers.

Hi could you elaborate on the cinegration driver for PowerView?  I have those shades and a driver that was the first one that popped up as my dealer was hastily integrating but the integration is rather disappointing. (The shades are great though and the hub/app are great too)

does the cinegration driver have two-way communication?  Can I trigger on events like “blind 3 in the living room is opening”?

10 hours ago, H16_15_12 said:

You've got it right, although once set up, you can pretty much forget about the Vera.  You can also use the Control4 Vera drivers to bring a lot more Zwave devices into Control4.  Many more than the C4 zwave dongle supports.

I've got the Balis controlled with Control4 via Vera.  The Lutron Serenas were nice, I just preferred to pay $3k for my blinds rather than 18k to get to the same result

9 hours ago, wnpublic said:

You've got it right, although once set up, you can pretty much forget about the Vera.  You can also use the Control4 Vera drivers to bring a lot more Zwave devices into Control4.  Many more than the C4 zwave dongle supports.

I've got the Balis controlled with Control4 via Vera.  The Lutron Serenas were nice, I just preferred to pay $3k for my blinds rather than 18k to get to the same result

Yes, but how loud are those Bali shades??

i watched a YouTube video of them and they sounded like a jet plane was taking off!!

Thanks for the comments.  I will have to put together a hardware design (blinds -> motor -> motor controller -> connection to C4 (Vera, Lutron, etc) -> C4) to see what I am dealing with. Any links or youtubes on this, please post them. 

Pardon me for jumping in... What do you think is one of the least expensive options? I need just a simple two shade setup for my theater room. Something I can order myself online or at my local home improvement store.

16 hours ago, pfissure said:

Hi could you elaborate on the cinegration driver for PowerView?  I have those shades and a driver that was the first one that popped up as my dealer was hastily integrating but the integration is rather disappointing. (The shades are great though and the hub/app are great too)

does the cinegration driver have two-way communication?  Can I trigger on events like “blind 3 in the living room is opening”?

https://www.drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/blinds-shades/hunterdouglas-powerview/

I'm assuming the dealer used the old driver either from the DB or the later one made by houselogix. No comparison

1 hour ago, elee532 said:

Pardon me for jumping in... What do you think is one of the least expensive options? I need just a simple two shade setup for my theater room. Something I can order myself online or at my local home improvement store.

Yes, anything with a cord for opening or closing will work great for you.

Blinds, motorized, that last and work and integrate well will not come cheap.

8 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Yes, but how loud are those Bali shades??

i watched a YouTube video of them and they sounded like a jet plane was taking off!!

Yes, it's exactly like a jet plane tqking off.  They're not for you.

heres one I found.  I swear they had music on to cover the shade noise.  You can still here then though.

just google Bali motorized shades review.

i did find some with quieter motors but I’m guessing you’re paying for the better motor and not on the “cheap” that some are looking for. 

On 4/21/2018 at 1:27 PM, Cyknight said:

https://www.drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/blinds-shades/hunterdouglas-powerview/

I'm assuming the dealer used the old driver either from the DB or the later one made by houselogix. No comparison

Hi Cy one more question. Is this driver one that will require customization in composer pro by my dealer or is it one that I could ask my dealer to install remotely and then take over from there with he?

As always thank you so much for your contributions on this forum

Archived