C4 Forums | Control4

OS 3.2 Out today! with new products!

Matt Lowe

31 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

So restored my backup project that I did before I upgraded to 3.2 and my GE Concord is back online.... so until some of these 3.2 bugs are worked out, I would recommend avoiding!

The downside is now I'm stuck on firmware 3.2 and can't use Composer to do any programming.

Since restoring the backup got your device back online on 3.2 I’m not sure how that translates to “avoid 3.2”.  

I’ve had to restore a backup after a system upgrade before so it’s not anything unique to 3.2

15 minutes ago, jfh said:

Since restoring the backup got your device back online on 3.2 I’m not sure how that translates to “avoid 3.2”.  

I’ve had to restore a backup after a system upgrade before so it’s not anything unique to 3.2

Back online in the sense that my security system is now seen by Control4.  However, I still cannot log into my project with the 3.2 HE Composer as it keeps asking for a password as this bug is known.  If trying to use 3.1.x HE Composer, it won't let you log in because now my firmware is 3.2 so I'm basically stuck without Composer either way it's just whether or not I want my security system to be online apparently... not sure why the security system would have gone offline however....

If a user doesn't mind not using Composer for now then 3.2 is the way to go but if you want to chance being locked out of Composer then I'd stay with 3.1.x until Control4 fixes the password bug.

1 hour ago, Jane M. said:

The main feature I like from the Chime is that it's always monitoring motion.  I don't believe the DS2 can monitor motion.  It only records when the button is pushed.  Or am I wrong about that?

I capture motion detection with the DS2 mini in Blue Iris, and then I action off of that. I haven't tried to do it any other way, but I'm pretty sure it does sense motion natively.

And what are the changes they release a Chime doorbell which has the DS2 backplate?

Everyone who had Control4 now had a huge hole next to their front door.  Its hard to believe they wouldn't release a version which solves that problem for all their old loyal customers.

31 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

And what are the changes they release a Chime doorbell which has the DS2 backplate?

Everyone who had Control4 now had a huge hole next to their front door.  Its hard to believe they wouldn't release a version which solves that problem for all their old loyal customers.

There needs to be a plate that will cover the door station boxes and a plate that covers a single gang box.  Major fail for Control4 if they don’t have such plates available.

15 minutes ago, jfh said:

There needs to be a plate that will cover the door station boxes and a plate that covers a single gang box.  Major fail for Control4 if they don’t have such plates available.

I was thinking you could just make a concrete/mortar smooth square/rectangle area around a single gang box.   Might not look bad if done right.

2 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

I was thinking you could just make a concrete/mortar smooth square/rectangle area around a single gang box.   Might not look bad if done right.

That doesn’t help much if you have siding or other finishes.

11 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

The screen on the T4 is great. It’s much faster and more performant...and the audio aspects of the intercom work better.

The chime is great, but it’s a surface Mount thing. Looks similar to the Vivint doorbell or a classier version of the ring. I like how the DS2 Mini is flush mounted in the wall. It also makes it easier because moving to the chime I’d have to fill in the hole on the front of my house where the DS2 Mini is. If you’re buying today and replacing an old surface mount doorbell, get the Chime. No reason to “upgrade” from a DS2 mini though - not that I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Residential Life review does say it is surface mount and may need a small gang box for poe. “Control4 will offer a new construction box that is a half-gang size that accepts the Chime mount, as well as an adapter plate for single-gang wall boxes.”

Edited by Dueport
Error

Do we know the Chime is actually surface mount?  It sure looks that way in the pictures but the install guide says it mounts to a half single gang box I believe. I don’t have it in front of me but read something like that. This would be a huge problem in my case where we have cedar shingles for siding and currently a ring surface mounted to that with a hole for the two doorbell wires. Had hoped to pull a cat6 to the doorbell by accessing the other side of the wall but I’m not cutting any gang box into the siding so I’d prefer surface mount. Maybe I misread the manual?

I’ve not seen the manual but I’ve got the product right here, and it’s indeed surface mount.

5 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I’ve not seen the manual but I’ve got the product right here, and it’s indeed surface mount.

My apologies I confused things - I thought I’d seen the manual online but I confused it with the Residential Life review - I edited my post to reflect. They do discuss mounting there but it is to say it is surface not flush mount and poe has limited gang box options. 

17 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Does it come with the mounting plates described in the review (specifically the single gang plate)? 

Did you try out the 8" or 10" T4?  I'm debating which size to purchase. 
Also, with the new Chime, when someone presses the button, does video/audio start up pretty much instantaneously on the T4 screen?  I'm guessing the video feed is local to the T4, and doesn't have to upload to the cloud first.  Do you know if that's true?
Thanks

I don’t know the mechanics of it, but in my limited use it’s fast. Like I said, I’ve got a DS2 Mini so this hasn’t been installed in a real world situation with frequent use.

I forgot to add one of my favorite things with the T4 is how it magnetically attaches to the charging pedestal. No more instances where someone thinks they set it on the charging pedestal but didn’t have it quite perfect. It snaps itself nicely in to place.

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

They are not shipping till Nov

That’s the wireless version.  I’ll have a PoE version next week thanks to an awesome dealer (Ari).

Talking to someone about getting a custom mounting plate made (plastic) that could be used temporarily until a metal one can be fabricated but need exact product measurements first.

6 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I don’t know the mechanics of it, but in my limited use it’s fast. Like I said, I’ve got a DS2 Mini so this hasn’t been installed in a real world situation with frequent use.

I forgot to add one of my favorite things with the T4 is how it magnetically attaches to the charging pedestal. No more instances where someone thinks they set it on the charging pedestal but didn’t have it quite perfect. It snaps itself nicely in to place.

Ok so you have the tabletop T4, right?  Mine will be wall mounted, but even that looks better than T3 mounting scheme, based on the T4 installation manual. 

Ok so you have the tabletop T4, right?  Mine will be wall mounted, but even that looks better than T3 mounting scheme, based on the T4 installation manual. 

I’ve got both. The wall mount is very similar to the T3 but you don’t need anything special you just yank it off the wall. It’s thicker than I’d like it to be - that’s my only complaint. It’s solid though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.