C4 Forums | Control4

Why use Apple TV devices?

zaphod

I am generally an Apple fanboy as I use iOS for my phone, have lots of iPads in the house and have an Apple watch. 

But what is the argument to use an Apple TV device over the other options like Roku, FireTV, Android TV devices, etc? 

I could understand why you would want to stay within one ecosystem when you were buying/renting content from the iTunes store, but now that it appears that streaming has won, why would one want to use an Apple TV device for Netflix, Apple TV+, Amazon Prime Video and other streaming services? And I believe Apple is more restrictive around some types of apps as it used to be (and maybe still is) difficult or impossible to install apps like Plex, Kodi, etc.

From a Control4 perspective Roku's integration seems better as it has a very open API and it seems to be more solid as it appears that the Apple TV integration breaks from time to time.

So why pay >$100 premium for Apple TV over the alternatives?

Now that Roku devices support airplay I'm switching out my Apple TV's for Rokus. Having both in my setup now, Roku integration is much better and easier to use with control4. Unless there is an app for the Apple TV that you need, Roku is the way to go.

Basically you pay the $100 premium because you are an apple fanboy. Not because the product is any better. Same goes with iPhones vs Android or PC vs MAC, the Apple side of things is always more expensive.

Roku even has the AppleTV app so its the best of both worlds.

The AppleTV interface is decent though. Plus there is AirPlay which is sweet for iOS people.

But the IP driver sucks big time, no mini apps, its over priced. 

I still use IR with AppleTVs these days which isn't ideal.

I agree - you have Apple because you're Apple - there is some argument for liking the interface but if you do, you're likely Apple. Airplay, sure - but that's because you're Apple.

That isn't meant derogatory - but there really is no argument beyond that to use AppleTV vs a Roku or even a FireTV (once Amazon clears using the new API/driver) WITHIN a C4 environment.

Android (generic) there's the need to get a third party device to integrate, so I don't generally advise them OVER an AppleTV for C4.

20 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

to each his own, but other than just being part of the apple ecosystem......

Apple Music (ok ecosystem)

Infuse - for those who use plex

iOS games (just in case, I don't)

Apple TV 4K supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision flavours of HDR

Siri

Apple Music, Siri and Infuse would all fall under liking the Apple eco system/interface.

Roku Ultra does dolby vision as well as HDR(10) (the latter which all HDR Rokus do)

iOS games really?

Like you said to each their own - I'll integrate whatever a client wants - but no Netfix or Disney (or even AppleTV+!!!!)shortcut for those that want Apple.

The fact that everything has moved to streaming is what really kills the efficacy of staying within one ecosystem.

When you bought music from Apple via the iTunes Music Store then it made a lot of sense to stay within the Apple ecosystem.  Same with buying movies or TV shows from the iTunes store.

But now that we consume content by streaming from Spotify, Apple Music, Google or whatever then there is no reason to pay a premium for a specific ecosystem.  The same for video content that you are streaming from Netflix, Disney, Apple TV+, or whatever.

And why do you even need Airplay as long as you have the native apps on Roku?

I think the big question for the future is whether the independents in hardware (Roku, Sonos) and content (Spotify, Netflix, etc) will be crushed by the monopolistic behaviour of the giants - Apple, Google and Amazon. 

4 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

You  could say all the above and HA and C4 

Except that there are synergies in HA that don't exist as much in the other areas. Having one system that controls lighting, video, audio, blinds, fireplace, garage door, security, thermostat, cameras, etc leads to an overall solution that is greater than the sum of the parts.

42 minutes ago, zaphod said:

The fact that everything has moved to streaming is what really kills the efficacy of staying within one ecosystem.

When you bought music from Apple via the iTunes Music Store then it made a lot of sense to stay within the Apple ecosystem.  Same with buying movies or TV shows from the iTunes store.

But now that we consume content by streaming from Spotify, Apple Music, Google or whatever then there is no reason to pay a premium for a specific ecosystem.  The same for video content that you are streaming from Netflix, Disney, Apple TV+, or whatever.

And why do you even need Airplay as long as you have the native apps on Roku?

I think the big question for the future is whether the independents in hardware (Roku, Sonos) and content (Spotify, Netflix, etc) will be crushed by the monopolistic behaviour of the giants - Apple, Google and Amazon. 

im watching something funny or interesting on my phone and want to show my wife - easier to airplay it to a TV vs searching to find that on a browser on Roku or in youtube to play it.  that is why I use Airplay.  Also with the onslaught of live music being streamed not all services have a good app so sometimes its browser based and its easier to airplay it.

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

im watching something funny or interesting on my phone and want to show my wife - easier to airplay it to a TV vs searching to find that on a browser on Roku or in youtube to play it.  that is why I use Airplay.  Also with the onslaught of live music being streamed not all services have a good app so sometimes its browser based and its easier to airplay it.

Airplay is, once again, part of the ecosystem. You can achieve the same with a Chromecast, using a wider array of devices. So this just goes back to the same argument - if you're 'all-in' with Apple devices, it may make sense to stick with them.

Roku + Chromecast is still cheaper than AppleTV. And neither AppleTV nor Chromecast can unfortunately be used to sense the video, so you're still selecting the source (still a shame that Chowmain's Cast driver got killed because the implementation was changed - would have made the choice even easier)

8 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

The fact that even apple's service is now available on other devices is a hopeful indication that the 'monopoly' isn't quite as solid as some believe.

Maybe monopoly is the wrong term.  Anti-compeititve behaviour is perhaps a better term.  

Sonos suing Google is one example  Increasingly it wouldn't be surprising that when you search for media content on an iOS device it will push you to iOS services. The same for Google on Android devices and Amazon on Alexa devices.  Not unlike how mapping services default to the device maker's mapping app. And when you use a FireTV it pushes you towards Amazon content when you turn it on.

Plus the big guys can sell stuff as a loss leader - how much is Amazon losing on the hardware selling Echo Dots ~$20. Although Apple certainly does not do this.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Airplay is, once again, part of the ecosystem. You can achieve the same with a Chromecast, using a wider array of devices. So this just goes back to the same argument - if you're 'all-in' with Apple devices, it may make sense to stick with them.

Roku + Chromecast is still cheaper than AppleTV. And neither AppleTV nor Chromecast can unfortunately be used to sense the video, so you're still selecting the source (still a shame that Chowmain's Cast driver got killed because the implementation was changed - would have made the choice even easier)

He asked why would someone want to airplay vs using an native app.   You could say cast vs using a native app.  I wasn’t being Apple specific per se.  just giving an example of screen mirroring over using an app.  Now how you cast may depend on the ecosystem

I have both and prefer Roku for the mini apps - I don’t want to navigate a UI on my remote then a UI on a device to select which streaming service. 

That said, this weekend I was watching a football game with my kids on YouTube TV, on a 4K Roku. The picture didn’t look good at all. I switched to the AppleTV, fired up YouTube TV on the Apple TV and the picture was way better. Both devices are hardwired to the internet and using the same type of HDMI cable to the same video distribution switch. No idea why that happened, but it was way better in the Apple TV (which is ironically, an old non-4K version).

3 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

That said, this weekend I was watching a football game with my kids on YouTube TV, on a 4K Roku. The picture didn’t look good at all. I switched to the AppleTV, fired up YouTube TV on the Apple TV and the picture was way better. Both devices are hardwired to the internet and using the same type of HDMI cable to the same video distribution switch. No idea why that happened, but it was way better in the Apple TV (which is ironically, an old non-4K version).

It could also have been timing, and your switch to the AppleTV coincided with the network issues clearing up.

RyanE

25 minutes ago, RyanE said:

It could also have been timing, and your switch to the AppleTV coincided with the network issues clearing up.

RyanE

Totally - could have been lots of things. I do have 1GB up/down fiber network so it likely wasn't a bandwidth thing, but could have been an amazing coincidence.

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

Totally - could have been lots of things. I do have 1GB up/down fiber network so it likely wasn't a bandwidth thing, but could have been an amazing coincidence.

network as in network feed. Could even be BECAUSE the ATV isn't doing a 4K stream and the servers were heavily loaded so the 1080p stream is more stable.

I cut the cable cord and use Apple TV 4ks at all the TVs. I use the Apple TV’s to launch Netflix, Hulu etc apps instead of the native apps built into the TV. I have hundreds of movies and songs in iTunes. FWIW I think it is easier for my wife and kids to navigate through the Apple TV’s with the C4 remote than to connect other devices and go back and forth. I like the consistency. The price differential didn’t really matter to me, we’ve got iPhones and iPads and going with Apple TV’s made sense. 

On another note I guess I need to unload my c4 8x8 video matrix, IO extender, and baluns now. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.