C4 Forums | Control4

Multiple button combos --> programming. (New to me; old news to pros/informed.)

booch

Just wanted to share a quick tip for others that may be new to C4 like me. I was surprised there wasn't a native ability to attach commands to multiple button combinations (or any input really); therefore, I wanted to share my solution: variables.

For example, I programmed a quick press of 'down then up' on my (Control4 keypad's) volume buttons to turn rooms off. I'd initially tried double/triple press, but that overlapped with normal behavior. Example below -- enjoy!

(And kudos to whoever has the best combo already going. Contemplating where/how to use the Konami code myself, ha.)

Screenshot 2021-01-01 024546.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-01 024627.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-01 024701.jpg

On 1/1/2021 at 9:35 AM, TundraSonic said:

Good stuff!  Yeah, I've been frustrated by the lack of some built-in stuff, especially long presses and dual presses. Dual press would seem ideal for your application.

Thanks! Good point on dual press -- I think I'm going to try that next/instead. Unless there's some limitation on simultaneous commands, I could just switch the variable to only be active on press/deactivate on release and that should do it. It'd also seem possible to do long press by setting a delay/timer within the variable, but that may be clunky in real life.

22 hours ago, lippavisual said:

I don’t see the logic in doing this.  What are you trying to do and why?

I want a way to turn off (media in) rooms from a six button keypad that isn't easily accidentally triggered or intermingled with other commands (or even illogical labels). For example, if I made it a triple press of the 'down' button, I could inadvertently trigger it through normal behavior. My lighting buttons use connections, so there'd be no way to separate it from those commands. Having this combo action solves that (and is a fairly common UI element IMO). 

1 hour ago, booch said:

Thanks! Good point on dual press -- I think I'm going to try that next/instead. Unless there's some limitation on simultaneous commands, I could just switch the variable to only be active on press/deactivate on release and that should do it. It'd also seem possible to do long press by setting a delay/timer within the variable, but that may be clunky in real life.

Circling back to confirm this worked. I actually implemented press-and-hold as well. So now:

Press either volume button once = pulse volume

Press either and keep holding = continue pulsing volume every 250ms (could also be used for long press)

Press both simultaneously = turn room off

I assume you realize you can program off of a single tap, double tap and triple tap of any button? But the trick is, when using the single, double and/or triple taps, you do not want to have any bindings on that button and you should not program against the “press” command.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 6:57 AM, C4 User said:

I assume you realize you can program off of a single tap, double tap and triple tap of any button? But the trick is, when using the single, double and/or triple taps, you do not want to have any bindings on that button and you should not program against the “press” command.

Thanks. I do get this. I was referring to gaining the other UI combos/controls we've become accustomed to with our phones and rich web. My wife is loving the 'double volume off,' for example.

Sorry if this seems nitpicky/dense, btw. I'm a product exec., so passion over this stuff is my job, ha.

Volume would be:

WHEN button up is pressed

Start volume up command to room x

WHEN button up is released

Stop volume up to room x

This accomplished a direct tap AND hold function with more accuracy.

Can still program on both buttons:

WHEN button up is pressed, IF button down is pressed turn off room

and reverse for the other button so that pressing on or the other first doesn't matter.

Same for the power off - if you really want that on a press both, you'd still literally go

WHEN button UP is pressed
IF button DOWN is pressed
	turn of room

Do the same on the DOWN button, and regardless which of the two was pressed first it'll shut off the room.

No need for variables, else statements and so on and so forth.

13 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Same for the power off - if you really want that on a press both, you'd still literally go

WHEN button UP is pressed
IF button DOWN is pressed
	turn of room

Do the same on the DOWN button, and regardless which of the two was pressed first it'll shut off the room.

No need for variables, else statements and so on and so forth.

Wow -- just updated my stuff -- you weren't kidding with the 'overthinking'! Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

there is also the room control driver that can do a lot of controls as well and its free from control4. We also have a video in our composer home training course on how to use it. 

basically you can make one but control a few source selections and room off and its cyclical so you can go back and choose the one you want and get color feedback for each button press. you can then use arrows for volume control, next or skip functions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 12:50 PM, Matt Lowe said:

there is also the room control driver that can do a lot of controls as well and its free from control4. We also have a video in our composer home training course on how to use it. 

basically you can make one but control a few source selections and room off and its cyclical so you can go back and choose the one you want and get color feedback for each button press. you can then use arrows for volume control, next or skip functions.

Good to know -- thanks!

On 1/15/2021 at 12:35 PM, Cyknight said:

You're overthinking it

All of that can go - there is the option any command to the room to instead of pulse to start (and stop)

image.png.0b6a6970c6b22179e08487ce23f8dba7.png

Thanks again for this. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to revert to my 'long programming,' because I'm noticing that the system is getting 'stuck' in volume up or volume down, including hours/days later when I go to use the room. This may be related to an issue I noted in another thread -- that it feels like one of every 10-20 C4 commands doesn't work. Any help/ideas?

1 hour ago, booch said:

Thanks again for this. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to revert to my 'long programming,' because I'm noticing that the system is getting 'stuck' in volume up or volume down, including hours/days later when I go to use the room. This may be related to an issue I noted in another thread -- that it feels like one of every 10-20 C4 commands doesn't work. Any help/ideas?

Not sure where you posted other issue, but if you are having issues with commands getting lost, and they are lost on zigbee devices you may not have a strong enough zigbee network. 

1 hour ago, C4 User said:

Not sure where you posted other issue, but if you are having issues with commands getting lost, and they are lost on zigbee devices you may not have a strong enough zigbee network. 

Thanks. I need to do a little reading and figure out how to diagnose/isolate the issue. It seems like it's happening with hardwired devices as well, which was making me think network.

But, it's possible. Is there a procedure to check? My Zigbee mesh follows the guidelines (less-interfering channels; two controllers; antenna outside rack), and the house is new construction (i.e., thin walls). 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.