C4 Forums | Control4

C4 succeeds but movie library fails the 16 yr old girl test

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CYK....Sure. But there's been no co-ordinated effort by Hollywood studios and the media barons to do the right thing by the *paying * customer. Their solution is to throw billions at preventing the *non*paying *non*customer! Lol. What industry does that (and think it's a long term survive)?

Instead they have all gone add hoc thinking that they- (the individual content producer) has "the" answer. Instead they have thrown billions at negativity. At trying to clamp down. At rent seeking. On lawyers. On political campaigns. That all re-enforce and perpetuate a broken distrbution model. This is crony capitalism at its worst. They have just screwed it all up. Worse - it has all been a total waste of money- they have washed it all down the drain: it's been a complete and utter fail... Because it doesn't work! Lol.

As an alternative- the only half decent correct alternative...There has been zero effort at getting a collective platform working. What is needed is a tiny bit of regulation to *make* them do the right thing. For example what's stopping gov enforcing that they all get together and work out a way that their encryption will only decrypt on a certain number of universal devices. That hold a "key" as it where to all of their up to the minute content at the very best quality. You buy that device and everything plays. You don't and you get the crappy free pirated experience. Sure it's a simple example, but the problem is they have never got around to collectively tackle the problem. I say you make em do it. Because they seem incapable of coming to a combined negotiating table and working together themselves. So you make em do it, by either enforcing it by law, or by threatening and suing the absolute cr@p out of them so there is no alternative ... Someone has to do it. Seems a company like Control4 would have a good case. Or sure a Kalidescope. Or the custom installers collective association. A CEDIA. I don't know. An individual can't do it. You guys have to. Happy 2020. See you all then. Adios Amigos. 

5 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Wap - You need to get it to Kodi - That really upsets Hollywood

Yep Already doing that Gazza my friend - With the AlanC driver.

I agree it's the closest "solution". But the cost on spend in "maintenance hrs"... on the backup and updates and everything else..

Then there is the geoblocking war between an UnblockUS and a Netflix or a Hulu, or a Newscorp and the carry on with that..... and on and on it goes... just to get a half decent experience (whilst the pirates all get this for free).. 

Go figure THAT Hollywood! 

Adios Gazza my friend. Always enjoy the banter with a couple intelligent and like minded individuals around here.. . See you again in 2020.. :) 

CYK....Sure. But there's been no co-ordinated effort by Hollywood studios and the media barons to do the right thing by the *paying * customer. Their solution is to throw billions at preventing the *non*paying *non*customer! Lol. What industry does that (and think it's a long term survive)?

Instead they have all gone add hoc thinking that they- (the individual content producer) has "the" answer. Instead they have thrown billions at negativity. At trying to clamp down. At rent seeking. On lawyers. On political campaigns. That all re-enforce and perpetuate a broken distrbution model. This is crony capitalism at its worst. They have just screwed it all up. Worse - it has all been a total waste of money- they have washed it all down the drain: it's been a complete and utter fail... Because it doesn't work! Lol.

As an alternative- the only half decent correct alternative...There has been zero effort at getting a collective platform working. What is needed is a tiny bit of regulation to *make* them do the right thing. For example what's stopping gov enforcing that they all get together and work out a way that their encryption will only decrypt on a certain number of universal devices. That hold a "key" as it where to all of their up to the minute content at the very best quality. You buy that device and everything plays. You don't and you get the crappy free pirated experience. Sure it's a simple example, but the problem is they have never got around to collectively tackle the problem. I say you make em do it. Because they seem incapable of coming to a combined negotiating table and working together themselves. So you make em do it, by either enforcing it by law, or by threatening and suing the absolute cr@p out of them so there is no alternative ... Someone has to do it. Seems a company like Control4 would have a good case. Or sure a Kalidescope. Or the custom installers collective association. A CEDIA. I don't know. An individual can't do it. You guys have to. Happy 2020. See you all then. Adios Amigos. 

The studios have. It's called ultraViolet. Disney does not play with others so they called theirs DMA

50 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

The studios have. It's called ultraViolet. Disney does not play with others so they called theirs DMA

Well there you go. That solves it then... :) 

But wait... That's two platforms already.

Then there is Newscorp, Netflix, HBO, Apple...

Then there is different content via the very same distribution company. Did you know for example the entire library is *different* Netflix US vs Netflix Aus?

Then there is "what to do with your old content?..."

Then there is this backup doesn't work with that Blu Ray disc...

Then there is you need a geo-unblocker to get BBC content... or even say the  excellent "Frontline" on PBS America..

Then there is the fact that Ultraviolet is a dogs breakfast to use..

Then there is the fact that you buy your disc and have to stuff around with "adding" the UV codes...

Then there is ya got to sign up for a lower quality Newscorp stream to get Game of Thrones (way lower than what comes via HBO direct from the US)..

And Way lower than free bi-torrent..

Then there is..

(and on and on it goes)...

Adios Amigos.. :) 

"Ive never understood this rant"

No. It seems I'm the only one. The only one who got into Control first as a better Universal remote that controlled content and a movie library.... Then expanded onwards with the HA stuff.. but hey. What do I know...?

"We don't have those problems in the US".. Yep. US has Zero problems with DRM.... OK whatever you say. ALLL content is available at all times to all players and media devices in the industry straight away the moment it is released... Sure. Every movie, TV show, documentary. Yep. I guess I am stupid after all. That's why there is an HBO, Netflix, Utraviolet, Vudu, and AppleTV..etc etc...Yup and you can get RT news and BBC player and every other type of world content as well whenever you want.... all via the one platform.. 

No they don't brand themselves as a "find every TV show you could watch with a Control4 product". Yep I agree with that. Pity... I wonder what the product growth and the consequent share price would have been if there was no DRM and they could have accomplished that..

Anyway. Time will tell. Like revisit after 2020 shall we?.... Adios Amigos....

Hey, I'm not a fan of DRM. But here's what I know. I don't get frustrated trying to watch things. Maybe I don't watch enough TV/Movies? We have tons of movies, Dish Network, Amazon, Hulu and Netflix. Usually here's how it goes for me.

Wife: we should watch this awesome new show I heard about on [Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or Primetime TV]

Me: Okay, let's do it.

One of us turns on either the Hopper, or the Bluray player (plays all those services). DONE.

Do you bitch about this on every single forum, or just this one? I don't really understand what it has to do with anything here, other than you wishing Control4 could "take control of Hollywood", which I think is pretty clear they have no desire to do.

8 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Yep Already doing that Gazza my friend - With the AlanC driver.

I agree it's the closest "solution". But the cost on spend in "maintenance hrs"... on the backup and updates and everything else..

Then there is the geoblocking war between an UnblockUS and a Netflix or a Hulu, or a Newscorp and the carry on with that..... and on and on it goes... just to get a half decent experience (whilst the pirates all get this for free).. 

Go figure THAT Hollywood! 

Adios Gazza my friend. Always enjoy the banter with a couple intelligent and like minded individuals around here.. . See you again in 2020.. :) 

Wapp - Its simple just download a build and that looks after all the updates.

Say goodbye to waiting 3mths before your favourite tv show in your country.

We pay £125 a mth for TV (All channels, Broadband, Phone) so do not feel to bad watching Good Wife on Exodus. 

http://m.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/why-i-refuse-to-feel-sorry-for-pirating-game-of-thrones-20160428-gohqzi.html : just about sums up the felling: And this is printed by the leading local newspaper here... In a city of 4 Million! Not just this one issue (FOXTEL) but pretty much every local distribution channel. He's basically telling 4 Million (and more) to go forth and pirate! ...So Don't tell me there is no DRM problem! The way Hollywood has set up and implements DRM *is* the problem. Like he says. It's not a torrent problem. It's a DISTRIBUTION problem. And this *definitely* would effect C4 sales and revenue. One flow from the other .... If consumers are literally forced to a PC or Kodi or whatever to stream content they are less inclined to switch to a dedicated player/Universal remote set up. That = less C4 sales IMHO. Particularly in the all important First sale..:. The one folks first consider..."why don't we get a better universal remote"? There is your case suckers. Open and shut. Has C4 ever done market research on this? Adios amigos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fail to understand why you think Control4 should spend any time or money trying to rectify a situation that is so far removed from their core business? Based on your argument, shouldn't Blu Ray player manufacturers, Roku, every other home automation company, etc be going after the same problem? They would all suffer from distribution problems too, based on your thought process?

Also, this is the 6th time in this thread you've said "adios", but you keep coming back and beating a dead horse. I don't get it...

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2016 at 11:55 PM, THawes said:

I fail to understand why you think Control4 should spend any time or money trying to rectify a situation that is so far removed from their core business?

Far removed from their core business you say? No disrespect but .. what?!!!

Entertainment distribution is their core business! 

http://www.cepro.com/article/control4_launches_three_ea_series_controllers_with_hi-res_audio_starting_at

Here we have the VP of Solutions himself (launching the fabulous new C4 controllers) being quoted as expressing precisely THAT!

"Control4 installations in the U.S. are mostly driven by entertainment, according to Williams"

It's what I have been saying this entire thread and the past 5 years LOL!  

But wait there is even more "earth shattering" news for all you doubters: again straight from the VP's very own mouth....

“Customers looking into a media-room experience or a home-theater experience are lured into home automation,”

That's why DRM has thwarted C4's development. Earth to space cadets. One flows on to the other..the spend starts on the media room and HT and ends up in HA... But it it ALL starts with "Entertainment", and the media room experience!! The VP has now said the "bleeding obvious" himself!!!.. That's why they should become active against DRM! That's why they should sue. SP still going nowhere (As JJ so elegantly points out). Open and shut case. 

Adios Amigos

Based on your argument, shouldn't Blu Ray player manufacturers, Roku, every other home automation company, etc be going after the same problem? They would all suffer from distribution problems too, based on your thought process?

They should be! They *are* suffering from distribution problems as well (because of DRM).. The current DRM distribution model is a shambles. They should *all* be collectively suing as well.... :) 

Adios Amigos

Also, this is the 6th time in this thread you've said "adios", but you keep coming back and beating a dead horse. I don't get it...

It's the industry (with it's DRM distribution constraints) and in it's current format, that is "the Dead horse"... Adios Amigos 

Now do you "get it"? 

38 minutes ago, etrochez said:

The thread that won't die.

^ Hahaha Great link. Very funny. And clever too! Hollywood. And it's a NON DRM'd link as well! The irony. Luv it..

Austin and the hot American chick in the Yankie flagged car.... hahahaha

Yep you got it alright! Issue won't die until DRM is finally killed off....

Brits win the day! And Austin gets the babe!

Williams has now said it!!! And backed up by JJ

Only what I've been saying around here for like 5 or more years!

Vindicated.

Definitely Adios Amigos.

I seriously can't understand why he comes on here bitching about this all the time. It's mind bending to me. Something tells me if DRM were completely gone, it wouldn't have ANY noticeable impact on C4's business. I've never heard of someone saying "I was going to get Control4, but I'm not going to now because one service doesn't have every thing I could ever want to watch available". LOL. It's laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/1/2016 at 3:52 PM, wappinghigh said:

Adios amigos.

On 5/25/2016 at 7:20 AM, wappinghigh said:

Adios Amigos

On 5/25/2016 at 7:32 AM, wappinghigh said:

Adios Amigos

On 5/25/2016 at 7:35 AM, wappinghigh said:

Adios Amigos 

19 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Adios Amigos.

19 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Adios Amigos now!!!!

you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

20 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I've never heard of someone saying "I was going to get Control4, but I'm not going to now because one service doesn't have every thing I could ever want to watch available". LOL. It's laughable.

... Laughable is it? ....

They might not be saying that (to you) but my guess is that is precisely what they are thinking. Nope instead, they say "lets just install a HTPC, or use our iphones..don't need a dealer for that!!! (to Funny: that is exactly what a friend of mine recently said to me when he considered C4 for his home theatre... )

Rapid growth of companies like C4 was killed off years ago with the switch to HTPC (and now watching on an iphone/ipad..or any other combo's of that) which does exactly that! > ONE way of watching *everything*! 

Makes the need for a "better universal remote" more and more obsolete.....

Other than someone so called "mad" like me (thanks for the compliment BTW Ryan), and other fanatics around here, Who would then be crazy enough to *pay* for a dealer to come install a "better Universal remote", if it doesn't even give them a better all in one content distribution experience than streaming free stuff from a HTPC, or beaming your iphone stream onto the screen?!!!! You'd have to be hopping mad!  

And as Williams basically implies, "if you don't sign em up for Entertainment and the media room", you don't get the further "on sell HA"! 

The way Hollywood and the media companies do DRM is the noose that strangles the growth of companies like Control4, and the entire custom installer/HA  industry. If you guys can;t see that, I'm sorry...all I can say is "I've tried"... 

A decade has now been and gone as the Studios have tightened that noose, thwarting easy distribution: (hence the reason to sue...) 

But wouldn't it be great if DRM was removed and Control4 could design a controller range (like the new fab ones released) that not only sorted hirez music and streaming music distribution, but video and movie content as well that? How good would *that* be? !!!

People might say "hey lets get a C4 controller" ...instead of a HTPC....then bingo.. got em' into HA and "the value add".

Adios Amigos.

Anyway.

Thanks for listening everyone.

Oh and the personal comments about my mental state (Real cute). 

Which I assure you all, are completely incorrect. 

Nice to see one of my early requests from years back, has found it's way into the fab new controllers (hirez music streaming capability and better audio quality controllers)

mmmm interesting. I wonder if it's the same crew now that called me a clown way back then? Seem to recall being flammed about requesting HiRez music as well a couple years back.

Isn't it great that alternative points of view and freedom of speech (on what is a public forum) are so warmly encouraged around here?

Adios amigos : to "the industry" (as you know it)

Later... maybe post 2020 (if you are all still here)

Enjoy your systems! Cheerio chaps! Wap 

Archived