C4 Forums | Control4

Best Door Station

Elvis

Question

I was going to have my dealer put in a DS2 mini because it'll fit where my current NuTone doorbell is. But my daughter called me from Germany and she was talking about her host family's doorbell. "I can unlock the door with the doorbell." She's pretty sure it is a Doorbird. So made me pause and think maybe something better is out there.

I don't want a Ring, but I like a lot of what it does. I like the look of the Doorbird and DS2 Mini. Here is what I want:

1. Remote answer with live video (2 way audio, of course)
  2. Motion sensor notifications (no doorbell press/package delivery)
  3. Display the camera on the TV. Best solution would be to Pause TV, switch to doorbell view and be able to easily exit back to TV with the SR-260.
  4. C4 integration so I can remotely unlock the door if needed.
  5. I don't want to have to have a T3 touchscreen to make it work. Would like it to work on the iPad C4 iOS app.
  6. NO MONTHLY FEE (Other than 4sight)

No surface mount. Need to fill the hole left by the old doorbell (or make it bigger).

Thank you.

17 answers to this question

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Motion sensor notification

DS2 (and let's for now assume the Mini) have had this from the start.

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Display the camera on the TV. Best solution would be to Pause TV, switch to doorbell view and be able to easily exit back to TV with the SR-260

This was a limitation of the Android based interface now added in 2.10

So you could do all that with the C4 station already :) - well assuming the app will work as we expect.

On 9/15/2017 at 11:51 AM, Elvis said:

I was going to have my dealer put in a DS2 mini because it'll fit where my current NuTone doorbell is. But my daughter called me from Germany and she was talking about her host family's doorbell. "I can unlock the door with the doorbell." She's pretty sure it is a Doorbird. So made me pause and think maybe something better is out there.

I don't want a Ring, but I like a lot of what it does. I like the look of the Doorbird and DS2 Mini. Here is what I want:

1. Remote answer with live video (2 way audio, of course)
  2. Motion sensor notifications (no doorbell press/package delivery)
  3. Display the camera on the TV. Best solution would be to Pause TV, switch to doorbell view and be able to easily exit back to TV with the SR-260.
  4. C4 integration so I can remotely unlock the door if needed.
  5. I don't want to have to have a T3 touchscreen to make it work. Would like it to work on the iPad C4 iOS app.
  6. NO MONTHLY FEE (Other than 4sight)

No surface mount. Need to fill the hole left by the old doorbell (or make it bigger).

Thank you.

Confused! You've listed all the features of the DS-2; once the new Intercom App is released. Currently, I can do most of it using the 2N service (except for #6), but with the new App coming out, I'll switch to C4.

I am hoping the upcoming DS app will work with Holovision.  If so that should check off everything on your list.  Doorbird I think has a limitation on streams - can only stream to so many devices at once so you may not get it across all of your touchscreens.  

Also the DS has been shipping for maybe a year?  The DS Mini is new and not shipping yet but its the same item minus the keypad.

1. Remote answer with live video (2 way audio, of course  Should hopefully work with the new app - I kind of got it working with Bria but its a bit fickle when not on home wifi and would not sell that as a great option
  2. Motion sensor notifications (no doorbell press/package delivery)  I have mine tied into Blue Iris so I could do via BI but but the camera itself is a KT&C Camera and it has video motion detection built in: http://eholovision.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ACE-HDi47.pdf
  3. Display the camera on the TV. Best solution would be to Pause TV, switch to doorbell view and be able to easily exit back to TV with the SR-260. I cannot see why this isnt possible if you can view any camera in that manner you could see this one.  Nothing restrictive of this camera vs others so if that is possible, then this camera would do it too.  I have this done automatically through Video Storm Netplay, I get a pop up in the lower corner with a live feed of who is at the door
  4. C4 integration so I can remotely unlock the door if needed.Well you can just use the 4sight app to unlock the door.  the new DS App may have that feature in that app too
  5. I don't want to have to have a T3 touchscreen to make it work. Would like it to work on the iPad C4 iOS app.again can look into Bria - Bria tends to work better on your local network anyways.
  6. NO MONTHLY FEE (Other than 4sight)nope - just a 1 time fee for the driver and for the hardware itself.  they are a CI install company so you need a dealer to buy and they can be fairly expensive.

13 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

maybe wait?

If Doorbird is my only option, I'm up for waiting until the Intercom app is out there in the mainstream. I hope there are enough DS users to really test it well. I'm not sure the DS2 is even shipping yet.

Archived