Jump to content
canadian8484

Mac version of Control4?

Recommended Posts

Are there any plans for a Mac version of Composer?

I've tried using Parallels and Windows and found it really cumbersome and slow.

There must be huge demand from Control4 users with MacBooks, surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

I recommend VMware Fusion over Parellels. use it daily and it's very fast but your mileage may vary based on the speed of your Mac.

Same, been using fusion for years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another recommendation for VMWare Fusion, it works great for me. However if you are talking about Composer HE, then I suspect over time we are going to see more and more of that functionality provided via When >> Then, which is web based and works fine on the Mac. So while I agree there will probably never be a native Composer for the Mac, I would not be surprised if HE was eventually replaced by a web based alternative. 

Cheers,

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, canadian8484 said:

Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look at VMWare Fusion.

In the meantime, how do I access "When >> Then"? I just went to https://customer.control4.com and can't see it there. 

You need to be on 2.10 and have a 4Sight subscription. It can also be accessed directly by going to your controllers IP address and then logging in as the home owner. But in all cases you still need 2.10 and 4Sight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, johnpg said:

You need to be on 2.10 and have a 4Sight subscription. It can also be accessed directly by going to your controllers IP address and then logging in as the home owner. But in all cases you still need 2.10 and 4Sight. 

Got it. I have 4Sight but I'm on 2.9.1. I'll speak to my dealer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, canadian8484 said:

Got it. I have 4Sight but I'm on 2.9.1. I'll speak to my dealer

read the threads on 2.10.0 there are a few potential gotcha's with upgrading and older hardware

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crustyloafer said:

I use Composer Pro in Parallels and have no issues with speed at all. Perhaps a hardware update required?

 

Same here, have been using it for years. (composer HE )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2017 at 10:53 AM, canadian8484 said:

Are there any plans for a Mac version of Composer?

I've tried using Parallels and Windows and found it really cumbersome and slow.

There must be huge demand from Control4 users with MacBooks, surely?

I would consider a PC and a remote desktop client before going down the road of Fusion and Parallels. Maybe they are a lot better now than they used to be, but we had nothing but issues when we tried to take that path. I finally decided to keep an old all-in-one PC. I use Jump Desktop to use it from my iMac and I can't tell that I'm not sitting at the computer. I can even use it on the road, and even on crappy hotel wifi it is fast. No wasted disk space on the Macs. Just my $0.02 worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I would consider a PC and a remote desktop client before going down the road of Fusion and Parallels. Maybe they are a lot better now than they used to be, but we had nothing but issues when we tried to take that path. I finally decided to keep an old all-in-one PC. I use Jump Desktop to use it from my iMac and I can't tell that I'm not sitting at the computer. I can even use it on the road, and even on crappy hotel wifi it is fast. No wasted disk space on the Macs. Just my $0.02 worth.

That's an awesome solution. I'm going to try When >> Then first, and if that doesn't work then I'll try your idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using Boot Camp. But with a pretty new install, I've been making a lot of changes, and switching back and forth was getting annoying. Just switched recently to running Composer in Parallels, and it's working great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used vmware fusion on a macbook for a long time and it was always slow.  I'm sure it was a hardware issue as my macbook was old.  

I finally broke down and bought a surface laptop for all my home automation work stuff.  It works better for consoling into my switches too.  Overall it is just more capable in my opinion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abovedeck said:

+1 Been using parallels for about a year now and have no issues with speed.

 

As for 2.10, that's another story! :lol:

Are you finding OS2.10 is slow? It worked great for me at first but I have noticed some latency in the last week and have not added any new drivers since 2.10 so am a bit stumped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Are you finding OS2.10 is slow? It worked great for me at first but I have noticed some latency in the last week and have not added any new drivers since 2.10 so am a bit stumped!

Not slow, just full of bugs :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

VMWare Fusion (paid) and VirtualBox (free) both work great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Virtualbox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody know what might cause this behavior?

I have a macbook pro running Parallels and Windows XP/Windows 7. I can install Composer HE, start it up, and it'll see my EA5 controller. But when I tell it to connect to the EA5 controller, it displays an error saying it cannot connect. It clearly sees the controller, but something prevents HE from connecting. If I use my kid's Windows laptop, HE will see the controller and connect to it.

I've tried disabling the Windows firewall and making Composer HE an exception to the firewall in my Parallels installation, but neither works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure your network set up is correct in parallels. That got messed up for me and I kept dropping the connections to the director. Changed network virtualization and works fine again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×