C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Intros $300 Media Streamer and TuneIn Support at ISE 2013

dgbrown

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really stoked now for this service. But i'm assuming we'll need more then one in a home. Bluetooth being a short range service probably mean's I'm not going to be buying one, placing it in my basement rack and then expecting it to run on other floors very well.

I'm really stoked now for this service. But i'm assuming we'll need more then one in a home. Bluetooth being a short range service probably mean's I'm not going to be buying one, placing it in my basement rack and then expecting it to run on other floors very well.

Get a DLNA server for you phone. I would assume since you want to use bluetooth, you do not have an iphone, as the best solution with an iphone would be to use airplay. So assuming you have an Android device, there are apps like imediashare that allow you to stream content on you phone using dlna. Which its range is dependent on your wifi.

You can't really compare a complete, ready-to-run solution with a hodge-podge of software and instructions on jailbreaking, installing, and setting up.

One solution a dealer can actually sell to a customer, the other he can't.

RyanE

You can't really compare a complete, ready-to-run solution with a hodge-podge of software and instructions on jailbreaking, installing, and setting up.

RyanE

While us AV geeks like to mess with this stuff, i totally agree with Ryan

Don't misunderstand me, if that's your bag, that's certainly a fun thing to do (jailbreak, set things up, etc.), but it's not really practical for a business to engage in.

For a while, I had a media player that consisted of running MythTV and VLC, and I had a combo driver that would run the right app for the right media choice, and would send keypresses to the right device. Not at all practical, but fun.

RyanE

In the price range Sonos and AppleTV still seem like better solutions. This is even more true since today's update to AppleTV and the announcement of an unteathered ios6 jailbreak on aTV 2 being imminent.

I'm looking for Pandora with integration into C4 at a level where I can select stations, or scroll through stations with a 6 button. All things being equal I'd go with Sonos, but $300 for C4 or $525 for sonos ($350 for sonos + $175 for Extra Vegetables), this box looks like a great alternative.

RyanE

You have dealers absolutely selling this solution and developing IP drivers for the jailbroken AppleTV. But even without the jailbroken version you can still have IR control of the AppleTV and stream everything on your phone from audio to video.

An argument I understand better is that a dealer can't make much if any money on the ATV solution....

In the price range Sonos and AppleTV still seem like better solutions. This is even more true since today's update to AppleTV and the announcement of an unteathered ios6 jailbreak on aTV 2 being imminent.

I'm looking for Pandora with integration into C4 at a level where I can select stations' date=' or scroll through stations with a 6 button. All things being equal I'd go with Sonos, but $300 for C4 or $525 for sonos ($350 for sonos + $175 for Extra Vegetables), this box looks like a great alternative.[/quote']

Except you won't have Pandora integration with the new this new C4 solution outside of streaming from your device, at least as I understand it. The only service currently built in is TuneIN, the rest needs to be streamed. You can do this with an AppleTV for $99 or you can buy the Sonos which has all of this and more. Now they may have Pandora and other services currently in the works but they haven't told us that.

Chris is correct.

Pandora is *not* native in the new release, only Rhapsody and TuneIn are native (and don't even require the media streamer box).

The Media Streamer allows you to stream things from your Android device or iDevice, so if *it* can do Pandora, you can stream that.

Yes, there *are* dealers who sell AppleTV solutions, but many more are likely to sell something that, as you said, they make money on, as well as can install and get done in a reasonable timeframe.

RyanE

I'm looking for Pandora with integration into C4 at a level where I can select stations' date=' or scroll through stations with a 6 button. All things being equal I'd go with Sonos, but $300 for C4 or $525 for sonos ($350 for sonos + $175 for Extra Vegetables), this box looks like a great alternative.[/quote']

Except you won't have Pandora integration with the new this new C4 solution outside of streaming from your device, at least as I understand it. The only service currently built in is TuneIN, the rest needs to be streamed. You can do this with an AppleTV for $99 or you can buy the Sonos which has all of this and more. Now they may have Pandora and other services currently in the works but they haven't told us that.

I will also say that the new C4 Streamer is still rather cool with the ability to do AirPlay, Bluetooth, and DLNA. This does give it some current and potential future capabilities beyond the other two solutions.

Clearly I misread the capability. I was surprised that the capability I perceived was available at that price point in a C4 product. I'm going to need to investigate the Apple TV Pandora integration further.

Clearly I misread the capability. I was surprised that the capability I perceived was available at that price point in a C4 product. I'm going to need to investigate the Apple TV Pandora integration further.

TuneIn has little to do with the media device - as I understand it, it'll be part of 2.4 itself.

Archived