C4 Forums | Control4

MyMovies Abandons Control4 API Access for End users in next revision MM5.0

avittech: All received e-mails to installers@mymovies.dk is responded to within 24 hours.

If you do not get a reply on an e-mail, call us at +45 30 95 07 32.

Please re-send any e-mail, and call us if you do not get a reply within 24 hours,on work days, as there otherwise is a communication issue.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, can we get actual dates?  I have had My Movies for years, but just recently paid to upgrade to the full 2500 points product (I had maybe 1000 or 1500 before that, enough for most functionality), and just recently bought the EV driver.  I know you say you won't let end users get caught in the middle of this, but I do not understand from your posts when this API notice was made.

And with the support experiences I've had in the past with My Movies (2 or 3 issues years apart), sorry to say I've never been happy when I've had an issue, so I want to be crystal clear on this.

In fact, I've got a current issue I never got any response on (related to WHS 2011 monitoring quitting working)...and I just gave up and moved on.   EDIT: looks like the board post got a response after about 2 weeks, but I had e-mailed support as well and never heard anything.  Neither here nor there, I moved on.

I do appreciate you coming here and addressing us directly, but your solution, while seemingly well-intentioned, is likely to put extra stress on your support staff--and I hope you are fully prepared to handle it.

Ok, can we get actual dates?  I have had My Movies for years, but just recently paid to upgrade to the full 2500 points product (I had maybe 1000 or 1500 before that, enough for most functionality), and just recently bought the EV driver.  I know you say you won't let end users get caught in the middle of this, but I do not understand from your posts when this API notice was made.

If we find that you have not made the purpose at a time you knew about the information, the specific date is not important.

What we do not want is users who purchase after being aware of this upcoming limitation, for the purpose of getting the access offerred to existing users. 

If we find that you have not made the purpose at a time you knew about the information, the specific date is not important.

What we do not want is users who purchase after being aware of this upcoming limitation, for the purpose of getting the access offerred to existing users. 

Well, I knew nothing about this pissing match until I read this thread, so hopefully that's good enough.  I really have no dog in this fight so hopefully it doesn't affect me.

wappinghigh: You will need to purchase a license from a dealer that is registered as a My Movies professional, otherwise it will be unavailable to you in My Movies 5.

OK. SO I have to purchase the MM driver from EV from a dealer who is registered with EV, and MM itself from a dealer who is registered as a "professional" with MM. Is that correct?

Simple question. Why don;t you just get together with EV and bundle the two downloads and licenses together from the one site?

Ok Seriously, we all know WAP has some aggressive opinions, but as I sit here reading this I'm wondering WTF.  I am or was looking seriously at this setup.  But now?  I don't know what to do.  So what equipment should I buy?  Brian couldn't be more vague.  Many? like who?  Then where am I supposed to get the driver can I go to EV or No? Wait they don't sell Hardware? or is it licenses?  I'm confused as hell.

The only thing that makes any sense is if you already have it.  You get the white glove treatment.  But new customers can shove off.

Please indulge me and give me a specific example of how this might work?

I'm might be sounding like an idiot here, but this makes no freaking sense to me.  Just seems like a money delivery system for their partners.

^ Well exactly Adi..

If it's all too complicated I'll just stay within XBMC.

What software companies like EV and MyMovies need to understand is you've got to keep it simple for the end user.

Sure. I understand there is Intellectual property and all that, and I'm very supportive of that. My Movies is an awesome solution. And I understand why companies like these want to maintain an established relationship with dealers (for support etc)

What I'm saying is, if getting and maintaining a paid up product license becomes more difficult and complicated than using a free product like XBMC, well then why would an end user bother?

Software companies just have to understand this.

The moment they make license arrangements, renewal key's, setup via multiple parties, whatever the process is: too complicated is the moment I turn off a product.....

BTW..

I'm confused as well..and I don't think my opinions are "aggressive" at all...

Not when it is us (the end user) paying for all this and the alternative options out there are free... (though perhaps not quite as good....but they still work) .... :)

^As a matter of interest the licence setup and processes with JRiver was one of *the* reasons I turned right off that program..

Sure. The balance between securing IP and making it easy for the end customer must be as difficult as all hell.. but swing the pendulum too far the wrong way and you start to turn legitimate folk off... that's all I'm saying...

Ok Seriously, we all know WAP has some aggressive opinions, but as I sit here reading this I'm wondering WTF.  I am or was looking seriously at this setup.  But now?  I don't know what to do.  So what equipment should I buy?  Brian couldn't be more vague.  Many? like who?  Then where am I supposed to get the driver can I go to EV or No? Wait they don't sell Hardware? or is it licenses?  I'm confused as hell.

The only thing that makes any sense is if you already have it.  You get the white glove treatment.  But new customers can shove off.

I'm might be sounding like an idiot here, but this makes no freaking sense to me.  Just seems like a money delivery system for their partners.

You are stuck in Limbo for now. Sucks!!!

EV sells drivers to USE a machine running MyMovies for media management within Control4. That doesn't change one whit.

As I understand it, what you need from here at this point on is an officially licensed (physical) product running MyMovies professional suite. Be it a computer set-up by a licensed professional dealer for MyMovies, or a fully branded 3rd party product running the suite. For example the DD Smart servers, or a computer set-up for the purpose by a C4 dealer that is ALSO licensed for MyMovies Pro Suite.

This TECHNICALLY was how you're supposed to do it anyway - they're just locking the back door that allowed a DIY HTPC (by the end-user or someone else) and buying a few points (well a lot) to do the same thing. Opinions on THAT part are your own to make.

^ Come on CY....that is a bit rich....

You know as well as I, EV has sold that MM driver of theirs as being "easy to set up on *any* PC... "

The whole point of that driver is that it *is* easy for end users to run (and scan and backup movies)  on any old PC...

^ Come on CY....that is a bit rich....

You know as well as I, EV has sold that MM driver of theirs as being "easy to set up on *any* PC... "

The whole point of that driver is that it *is* easy for end users to run (and scan and backup movies)  on any old PC...

Like I said your opinion is your own Wap, but it IS easy to set-up on any PC, this hasn't changed. The legality of the how and what is not for me to decide

Oh and it's no harder for the end-user either.

Again, the move from MyMovies on this....you can complain to them to.

Sure. It's their problem I agree....

So what this boils down to is I need a dealer to come into my place and physically license it all on *my* personal computer..

Not just the first time.. but everytime I upgrade the PC, or something happens with a license update..????

That sounds a bit weird...

No problem. I just won't buy the MM product until they sort it.. :)

I've been using MyMovies since 2008 and even though I don't integrate with Control4 completely (I just use C4 to get me to control my HTPC that runs MyMovies and use Brian's MM apps to navigate content) it has to be one of the most well priced softwares that I've ever used, period.

Seems like those that are integrating and use API need only to make sure their dealer complies with the existing requirements. Sounds like Brian is taking care of end users prior to now. Seems logical to protect his intellectual property. I imagine most dealers here would willingly comply, so don't see much of an issue, unless I'm missing something.

Maybe a better communication plan :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ The issue seems to be ease of installation and use..

You could now theoretically have a complicated situation where a dealer who is registered with EV, can't, or is dropped (or refuses to) become a "Professional" with MM..

It adds an additional (human) step in the chain that can later be broken..

I mean why make what should be a simple process (software licensing) overly complicated?

Maybe that is the whole point.

:)

EV has zero to do with this - as I said, EV sells a DRIVER. Just like they sell a driver for Popcorn, Dune, several security systems, lighting systems, and many more 3rd party PRODUCTS that a C4 dealer may not be a dealer for at all.

Where the end-sure gets the (proper) product from is of little consequence on EV being able to sell a driver, and a C4 dealer installing that driver as an EV dealer. However unless that C4 dealer is a licensed professional with MM he cannot build you a computer to run MyMovies on or provide support on a device.

For example, you - the end-user - can still buy a properly licensed device from a properly licensed company/professional and a dealer can incorporate a license to use that device in Control4

Another example, the C4 dealer can still sell a branded 3rd party products MADE by a licensed MyMovies Pro to the end-user, and attach an EV driver. Because the supplier of the MyMovies SOFTWARE suite is not that (unlicensed) control4 dealer.

This is at least my interpretation of an ongoing development.

Wap, you're just making this whole conversation that much more convoluted. I understand that this may s$#k for many end-users, especially those thinking of or working on doing this DIY, but point you dismay on the one closing that door.

But who is selling what?

C4 is selling the hardware the EV driver runs on.

EV is selling the driver.

Then you also need the PC? What I now need a dedicated PC and is and MM created and slod by a MM licenced pro.

And what about the player! Where do dune and popcorn fit in.

I feel like I am buying my car engine ans wheels from three different pros when I just want to write a check and drive away.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

EV has zero to do with this - as I said, EV sells a DRIVER. Just like they sell a driver for Popcorn, Dune, several security systems, lighting systems, and many more 3rd party PRODUCTS that a C4 dealer may not be a dealer for at all.

But their driver is the one making the api calls etc.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Archived