C4 Forums | Control4

Reboot controller

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can do this direct from composer pro? Not sure about HE..

You can program a "reboot" in Composer HE if you have the "ping" driver. Trouble is you need Director running 

A simple no frills "project" reboot for homeowners (without a plug pack or power pull)  has been a request for ages...

Be even better if it could be an easy setup remotely.. 

Ditto on the SSH, there's actually a SSH app for IOS, called Server Auditor I believe. I've rebooted my own system this way before.

Yup. Me too. Out of town and vpned in and fixed everything for wife while at a breakfast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. Me too. Out of town and vpned in and fixed everything for wife while at a breakfast

If possible can you post link and simple instructions on how to do that. It seems every time I go away the system has a hiccup (murphy's law), and I get a text from my wife or kids

The key here is being able to VPN in. If you can't configure or am not sure about how to configure your router to set up a VPN you are opening yourself to some potential trouble. 

I am in the same boat as the OP. Take a business trip, system starts dinking around. I ask wife to pull the plug, she gripes about my stupid system -- even though 90% of the time she is glad to have it. 

If the voice of the customer is the dealer, and I am saying this knowing that most dealers are not on this forum and the ones that are are very progressive and genuinely sympathetic to customer desires, then we will never get this option. Customers need a direct link/voice to C4 corporate. 

I'd say a pretty small % of dealers know how to SSH into a controller and reboot it.

Let alone remotely.

And less how to reboot OTHER controllers from there, or ZigBee devices or.....

Shame really.

There's a nice tool available too for dealers, Puddy Tools that does a lot of this without the command interface - all my guys get this at least first off - untill there's time to learn the real  stuff.

^ Sorry but why isn't an easy tool like this available for end users.. ?

I don't wish to start another dealer v user debate but seriously, home owners are really the only ones that will monitor a site 24/7 x 365 days a year..

partic now we are all carrying iphones and some of us want to do our own security monitoring remotely when we are away, and all the security is often tied in with the C4 project...

Just sayin :)

Well that's ridiculous. It really is... 

Why? Someone makes something, decides to share with a limited group. To me that would be his own good right to decide such.

I do not claim to know his reasoning, though I can think of some reasons. In the end it's this person's own choice. No more no less.

If freedom of choice is that ridiculous to you, there's a few countries in this world that would welcome that sort of view on life with open arms. I'd rather not live in them myself - but hey going there is a choice too (oh the irony). ;)

Why? Someone makes something, decides to share with a limited group. To me that would be his own good right to decide such.

I do not claim to know his reasoning, though I can think of some reasons. In the end it's this person's own choice. No more no less.

If freedom of choice is that ridiculous to you, there's a few countries in this world that would welcome that sort of view on life with open arms. I'd rather not live in them myself - but hey going there is a choice too (oh the irony). ;)

It's got nothing to do with what a guy decides to do or not with his idea or tech or whatever:

^ I gave you my reason why it is ridiculous.

Why is it still such an anathema to so many around here that home owners might want easy DIY security monitoring and management of such a fundamental thing as remote reboot of their own projects? 

I gave you my reasons:

It's simply impossible to expect a dealer to monitor a project  24/7 x 365 days a year

So if whoever has released this "tool" to dealers only, thinks this is actually possible for dealers to do: 

That is what is ridiculous.

:)

Whomever released this tool made a one-time program that has limited to no live support whatsoever. It is NOT a monitoring tool, it's a program to do what you can do now with SSH but without using (and knowing the specific) command line syntax.

You're making wild assumptions with no base whatsoever, putting supposed lines of reasoning out there about a program and a person you have ZERO knowledge about - indeed having not even heard of until I made a brief post about it.

That's something tabloids have a tendency to do. Which I guess is a from of freedom of expression(?) :blink:

Archived