C4 Forums | Control4

Reboot controller

I won't posted the ssh password but Google will find it for you. The command you want to run once you connect is: killall -9 director

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

? No you want to simply type "reboot"

Oh and IF you have 4Sight and ComposerHE at hand - you can also use the VPN created by the remote connection for SSH commands using Putty for example.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

? No you want to simply type "reboot"

Oh and IF you have 4Sight and ComposerHE at hand - you can also use the VPN created by the remote connection for SSH commands using Putty for example.

most of the time I find that restarting director is sufficent of a reboot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let alone remotely.

And less how to reboot OTHER controllers from there, or ZigBee devices or.....

Shame really.

There's a nice tool available too for dealers, Puddy Tools that does a lot of this without the command interface - all my guys get this at least first off - untill there's time to learn the real  stuff.

It's a really funny conversation when the guys at Ihiji call.  not sure if they blow your phone up as much as mine.  they sell remote monitoring on control4 stuff, and their big pitch is they can allow you to reboot any control4 device remotely, but charge a pretty hefty yearly fee.  when I explain to them i can already do that they get really confused.

It's a really funny conversation when the guys at Ihiji call. not sure if they blow your phone up as much as mine. they sell remote monitoring on control4 stuff, and their big pitch is they can allow you to reboot any control4 device remotely, but charge a pretty hefty yearly fee. when I explain to them i can already do that they get really confused.

My dealer swears by that stuff.

5 9's uptime on his monitored clients and all that.

Not on the App store, at least I couldnt find it

It's called ServerAuditor - all 1 word.  Also, I found that the "killall -9 director" command did not work for me.  I just tried "reboot" and it worked fine.  Tested it all my HC300 units and it worked.  May be because I'm on 1.7.4.  Don't know.

It's called ServerAuditor - all 1 word. Also, I found that the "killall -9 director" command did not work for me. I just tried "reboot" and it worked fine. Tested it all my HC300 units and it worked. May be because I'm on 1.7.4. Don't know.

yup. It's because you aren't on 2.0 or higher

It's a really funny conversation when the guys at Ihiji call.  not sure if they blow your phone up as much as mine.  they sell remote monitoring on control4 stuff, and their big pitch is they can allow you to reboot any control4 device remotely, but charge a pretty hefty yearly fee.  when I explain to them i can already do that they get really confused.

I've calmly explained them that for the price they charge, I have alternatives in place for most scenario's that make their -otherwise great- gear useless to me, though I'd use it in some very sensitive scenario's.

Ihiji's biggest asset is the ability to MONITOR all sorts of devices, including ZigBee, to give advanced warnings - the remote restart... well in some scenario's it has a bit more ability but...

most of the time I find that restarting director is sufficent of a reboot

Yeah, I'm from well before that was available - and since the 250/800 reboot times are so low I'd rather just soft reboot the whole thing. But in the end - whatever works.

Yeah, they have called me quite regularly also. Each time I explain to them that with a background in enterprise IT and networking we have the toolsets and skills to do enough for our means of what iHiji does. For dealers from more of an AV and less of an IT background, I get the peace of mind that iHiji offers. And it does offer the ability to tell me the instant a Zigbee node falls over which I can't do with my toolset, but do I really need that level of alert?

• 3 weeks later...

This all seems like a lot of trouble when there is a driver available to do this.  I've got a custom button tied to my Equipment Room that I press and it Reboots my HC800. 

Depends - from a dealer perspective it really isn't a lot of trouble, plus there's the ability to reboot lots of other devices once logged in.

Trouble-shooting wise it's part of a bigger process, and then there's the fact that you shouldn't HAVE to reboot main controllers (often) at all to begin with if all is done right from the start...

I don't disagree with your statements, from a dealer perspective it's not a ton of work. Though the driver still makes it faster for the dealer as well. However no one should have to rely on their dealer to reboot their controller or be forced to go into their basements to unplug and re plug in their controller when a driver is available to make it easy.

• 4 months later...

The key here is being able to VPN in. If you can't configure or am not sure about how to configure your router to set up a VPN you are opening yourself to some potential trouble. 

I am in the same boat as the OP. Take a business trip, system starts dinking around. I ask wife to pull the plug, she gripes about my stupid system -- even though 90% of the time she is glad to have it. 

If the voice of the customer is the dealer, and I am saying this knowing that most dealers are not on this forum and the ones that are are very progressive and genuinely sympathetic to customer desires, then we will never get this option. Customers need a direct link/voice to C4 corporate. 

The only way for us to get the attention of C4 corporate is to start blasting them on Social Media (Twitter/FB/Youtube)...then they will listen because the WORLD could be listening! The alternative is that someone from this site develops a system & process that's equally expensive, equally innovative, but better for customers! Folks would leave by the droves...

^No and no.  Blasting (if you mean posting internet criticism) does not work that way.  Take Yelp for example.  For every bad comment there will follow a few squeaky-clean comments.  People confuse easily when inundated with information and when confused, don't typically make sense.  Regarding price point, the world does not need another $5~$25k HA solution.    

It really depends on the quality of the "negative" reviews.  I tend to read the last 10 reviews as well as some of the negative.  Poorly written reviews are basically ignored, however a well written one tends to gain some credibility. Of course if its 1 negative per 10+ positive then again the negative looses some credibility. 

I can see both sides to this, as a guy that works for a dealer but has done his system complete DIY.

The culture that has been perpetuated in this industry is shit. There is a complete lack of tolerance for end users and because of this it has made people who are more than capable of handling their own systems SOL.
There is this "higher then though" mentality all through this industry. Even dealing with tech support and C4 and them guarding the ports that are being used.... wow! The more I deal with it, the more flabbergasted I get. There are good dealers that don't perpetuate this near as much. Cyknight is a good example of this. But even on this forum he is an exception to the rule. He is helpful and always willing to support, but dealers like him are few and far between. There are threads on here arguing over networking and the dealers opinions who know NOTHING about networking is astonishing. I think's Cyknights point of most dealers not even know they CAN SSH in is an ever better example. Yet these are also the same dealers on here bashing "end users" and "newbs" like they are a toxin. It is unfortunately that this mentality and culture is the norm. 

I can understand that end users can be a time waste and it is frustrating for installers but this is the same in ANY industry. In corporate IT, I wish I could deal with end users in the way this industry does when they try to take the initiative to do something themselves. I would have to do 1/2 the work in one day that I do now. Truth be told though, it is a benefit when an end users tries to do something. Yes, sometimes it ends horribly but at least it is creating a trend towards understanding instead of perpetuating the action of a proverbial foot over their head. Why is it THIS industry that users allowed and still paid for this culture to develop?

The fact that there is a simple program to do things like this that is NOT shared is just perpetuation of this culture and I can understand the sentiment that it is is bullshit. but.... it is his software and his code and he can do as he pleases with his own project. It is the culture that was the issue, not his decision on it's own. 

I went and picked up some used gear from a guy last night that was an old dealer. He has A TONNE of gear running in his house (now all legacy) and he can't support it himself anymore! That is ridiculous! Unless he did training with C4, and is working for a current dealer, he is SOL. 

• 3 years later...
5 minutes ago, AnOutsider said:

Mega bump from the dead, I know, but also curious on this. Was ridiculously simple to find that login and a tad concerned of the abilities it could give others.

If others are logging in your controller they have already bypassed all security on your network....

You should never have your C4 system visible to the outside world, unless protected by something like a VPN.  But if you spent enough time playing around on Shodan I bet you could find C4 systems that you could access.

But "AnOutsider" is somewhat correct in that it is not a good security practice to have the same default password for all systems. 

8 minutes ago, zaphod said:

But "AnOutsider" is somewhat correct in that it is not a good security practice to have the same default password for all systems. 

right, but you have always been able to change it...this is nothing new

My installer setup a reboot button for my controller and for my DIRECTV Genie 2, which loses its connection periodically. He setup the reboot command and setup OvrC on my phone so whenever I open the app, I have 2 choices, reboot controller or reboot DIRECTV Genie 2. It works great!

Archived