C4 Forums | Control4

Use Coax cable to extend IR bud?

dutsnekcirf

Just moved into a new house.  There's space right above the fireplace for a TV.  There's already power, an HDMI cable, and two coax cables run to the space.  I've been trying to figure out how to run some ethernet cable to the wall as well and am having difficulty.  I've extended an IR bud using ethernet before so I'm comfortable with doing that.  How about using one of the coax cable runs to extend an IR bud?  Or is it possible to do that with the HDMI cable and still be able to transport video over the line as well?  Or, is it possible to have an IR emitter pointing at the TV from couch that the TV will pick up rather than attaching the IR bud directly to the IR receiver on the TV?  What are my options if I can't get ethernet to the wall?

The best way out of this situation would be a Control4 Zigbee to IR kit, Sits behind the Tv and is powered by a 5V usb.

Another option is these 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-HDMI-Injector-Updated-location/dp/B00HR7LE4A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1487966230&sr=8-5&keywords=ir+over+hdmi

Have used them a few times and most of the time they have been perfect ( avoid the £10 bay kits)

3 solutions for you: 1. If it is not very long run, just use coax, nothing wrong with it. 2. There is ir kit for hdmi cable, receiver with hdmi plug one side, emitter with hdmi plug the other side. 3. Ir other zigbee. All will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments.  I couldn't respond sooner because my internet went out.  New house issues.  

I'm a little uncertain about HOW to splice it on the coax.  I know I've got the center conductor and the shield that I can use but how on earth am I supposed to splice them together?

What about this guy?  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9964  This is an IR Extender of HDMI for a reasonable price.

I also like the Control4 Z2iR zigbee module.  But I bet that costs a fair penny compared to the monoprice solution above.  But I'm sure it'd work great.

Solder and tape gets my vote as the dolphins arent particularly best for the center conductor but depends on the toold you have. Polarity doesnt really matter when choosing the center conductor and shield of the rg6 to the emitter leads as long as it is the same on both sides. 

Use an rca female to mini mono female one on end.

Use an rca female to mini mono male on the other to plug directly into controller. Terminate the coax with rca connectors. This is the best way to ensure clean look and repurposing later if needed.

53315a253f4a3c8951468316c6ca2a42.jpg

Happy Automating!

Dont overcomplicate it. Ir blaster 2 conductors, coax 2 conductors. Cut ir cable and Connect just as is, be carful with polarity. It wont damage, just won't work, if it doesn't just change connection on one of sides. Thats it. If your cable doesn't have splitters it just will work with out any problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with Vinceldub in converting to mini mono with one additional mention. If it's already terminated as an F-type screw-on coaxial on both ends and if you don't already own an RCA crimping tool then you could use this:

https://www.amazon.com/cable-F-pin-Female-Adapter-200-117/dp/B000I965ZC

which screws onto an F-type coax and turns it into a 3.5mm mono male. Put those on both ends, and then a barrel on one end:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GMM-303-3-5mm-TRS-Coupler/dp/B000068O4N

and you should be able to plug right into your IR blaster on both ends with no new tools or crimping needed.

61bA7X70tJL._SL1133_[1].jpg

• 9 months later...

Archived