C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa C4 vs Epic Driver

I'll try this.  I was using the alexa app on my iphone to discover.  

All my devices are listed in the family room on the control4 website so my triggers were "family room" along with all of the actual device names like "kitchen lights," "master bedroom."  Once the triggers are set, I follow the instructions exactly including turning on debug mode.  I hit discover on my alexa app and then discover in HE.  

I'll give it a try when I'm home today using the website. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

No it doesn't rely on the skill. It's all local. Please watch the videos on our website and/or read the documentation to learn how to perform the discovery steps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

And yes I read the documentation and watched the videos to make sure I was doing it right. The only thing I did differently was that I used the Alexa app on my iPhone.  

so I spoke on the phone with janthony6 and there were two reasons why this wasn't working:

1) his dealer had not entered the correct IP address

2) he was actually using an Ecobee thermostat with Alexa built in (not mentioned anywhere in this thread that I recall) - we have not yet tested/certified our driver to work with that device, even though it has an Alexa built in.  Apparently it doesn't work with the Ecobee version (yet).  I will update our website to make sure that is clearly identified so that people don't make the assumption that our driver works with Ecobee or any other device with Alexa capabilities built-in.

thanks all for trying to assist this customer.  I refunded his purchase.

35 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

2) he was actually using an Ecobee thermostat with Alexa built in (not mentioned anywhere in this thread that I recall) - we have not yet tested/certified our driver to work with that device, even though it has an Alexa built in.  Apparently it doesn't work with the Ecobee version (yet).  I will update our website to make sure that is clearly identified so that people don't make the assumption that our driver works with Ecobee or any other device with Alexa capabilities built-in.

thanks all for trying to assist this customer.  I refunded his purchase.

hmm...i find that hard to believe becuase all the other smart home functions work...

20 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

I'm pretty sure it's because everything goes through the cloud and not on the local network. Don't you have one of those Ecobee? Can you try it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

yeah, i do and I can, and I know i said i was going to and never did.

I think the problem is actually discovery...I think once you discovered the devices it would work fine.

Well - I know that not everything goes through the cloud.  When I disable the control4 skill and click forget all devices and do a normal discovery, it finds the ecobee thermostats and all the sensors.  It doesn't find anything though through the driver, namely the c4 dimmers or anything else that I have in c4. Hopefully the driver will get updated.....

7 minutes ago, janthony6 said:

Well - I know that not everything goes through the cloud.  When I disable the control4 skill and click forget all devices and do a normal discovery, it finds the ecobee thermostats and all the sensors.  It doesn't find anything though through the driver, namely the c4 dimmers or anything else that I have in c4. Hopefully the driver will get updated.....

Just buy a dot 

what specifically do you mean by respond?  you mean you'd be able to give it (the Ecobee) commands after doing the initial pairing using the dot?  or do you mean that you are wanting it to respond with a confirmation when you say commands to the dot?

On 16/06/2017 at 5:03 PM, Matt Lowe said:

4sight is not just for Alexa you may only be using it for that. But 4 sight will allow you to access your home and all of the connected device in it. This will also allow you to have email notification which i like to use to archive important events for my home. And if you like the push notifications you'll receive them even when you are not home.

The remote access issue can be solved by having a VPN which is very useful beyond C4.  And there is a Control4 SMTP driver that you can buy to send emails if you need email functionality.  It sells in a suite of 5 notification drivers from Chowmain for $100.

7 hours ago, zaphod said:

The remote access issue can be solved by having a VPN which is very useful beyond C4.  And there is a Control4 SMTP driver that you can buy to send emails if you need email functionality.  It sells in a suite of 5 notification drivers from Chowmain for $100.

the vpn will not work with the native alexa integration though

No, you still need to subscribe to for native Alexa integration but having a VPN is a cheaper (after year 1) and, at least IMHO, more useful way to get remote access to your Control4 system since it also gives you access to everything else on your LAN.  Another advantage to the Epic systems driver is that it should work in any country whereas I think the native C4 driver may only work in the US, UK and (maybe) Germany. 

Don't have the Show but it does work with the Wand.  Mind you my Echo is the main device and I just got the Wand.  I can control everything though it.  Pretty cool.

Archived