C4 Forums | Control4

EA1 suitable for small project?

I'm thinking of getting a simple Control4 system installed and was wondering if anyone could advise if a EA1 could potentially support my needs.

I will have a main room with a Marantz AV770, projector (TBC), motorised screen, Apple TV, Amazon Fire and a Sonos connect.

I plan to have a Sonos connect for 5 additional zones.

I also will have a RAKO based lighting system throughout the house.

I am thinking of getting some V2 screens in each room to simply control the lighting, Sonos and make use of the intercom between rooms.

Could an EA1 perform this function or would I be better off looking for a HC250 with the intercom license?

I understand I will need a dealer to configure all this but for now just a query ?

4 minutes ago, Mjhill1234 said:

Thanks for the quick reply! What about a HC250 with the intercom license (as they are mega cheap on the used market) ?

they are dated and EOL.  Could you use it, probably for a few years.  And you won't be able to get an intercom license.  They don't sell them anymore.  You want a BL-1 model of the 250 to have licenses.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

they are dated and EOL.  Could you use it, probably for a few years.  And you won't be able to get an intercom license.  They don't sell them anymore.  You want a BL-1 model of the 250 to have licenses.

Fair enough sounds like EA3 the way to go. V2 screens still ok for what I will be doing?

I guess the issue I have is price Vs features at the moment. To be honest all I want is something to control my home theater without having to fiddle with 10 remotes but equally would be nice to have one app/screen/remote to control the RAKO lighting and the Sonos. The intercom would just be a nice gimmick at the moment ?

Considering I could pick up a HC250/HC800 and V2 screens reasonably cheaply it sounded like a sensible option. 

Appreciate everyone's comments

12 minutes ago, Mjhill1234 said:

I guess the issue I have is price Vs features at the moment. To be honest all I want is something to control my home theater without having to fiddle with 10 remotes but equally would be nice to have one app/screen/remote to control the RAKO lighting and the Sonos. The intercom would just be a nice gimmick at the moment ?

Considering I could pick up a HC250/HC800 and V2 screens reasonably cheaply it sounded like a sensible option. 

Appreciate everyone's comments

if you are only doing 1 room, truly one room, an EA1 is ok

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

if you are only doing 1 room, truly one room, an EA1 is ok

Thanks! So if I'm only controling my main room can I still put touch screens in multiple rooms to control Sonos multi zone? Sounds like a good idea if that can get me started then upgrade to an EA3 when I'm ready to invest further. 

Summary - EA and T3 are the future. HC and V2 series will do it, but for how long before you want this or that feature they may not be able to support?

Also, talk to your dealer about how he feels installing and programming used hardware.

Step up now and cut something from your wish list, rather than get it all and be left behind, or having to upgrade sooner than you'd like.

3 minutes ago, Mjhill1234 said:

Thanks! So if I'm only controling my main room can I still put touch screens in multiple rooms to control Sonos multi zone? Sounds like a good idea if that can get me started then upgrade to an EA3 when I'm ready to invest further. 

I would not do that...start right if you are building big

You are MUCH better off doing it right from the beginning. Get the EA3 and maybe only one touch screen. Then add touch screens later as budget permits. You are better off doing it in phases with modern equipment than getting old equipment that could be obsolete in a year or two.

Yeah, I can get a dirt cheap iPhone5 on eBay. But I'd be really unhappy in a very short time.

Maybe there are other solutions that may make sense but where you use multiple apps.  Like Logitech Harmony to control AV, which can also be controlled by phone/tablet or remote control.  And you can then get apps for stuff like Sonos, etc. 

No.
EA1 = 1 room
You can't say control 1 room and then say but also have multiple audio zones. That means multiple rooms.

The difference between EA1 and ea3 is 500 bucks.
That's less than a touchscreen or new phone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived